Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Tvrdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335th_GRExandas View Post
Don't brag serious pilots DON'T PLAY JUST YET COD,
when they do things will be different .....
ahahahahahah
Old 10-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Approved Member

Yes, the better/real pilots always play another game/on another server/the only true war etc. I too always have to fight the better planes. Whatever I do, the other guy is always in the über-plane.

In the end, the transit from Il2 1946 to CoD is like a new start. All the pros are starting agains as "noobs" in the new game, I guess that`s why many stick with 1946... In the end it all depends on the time available and the amount of time you want to waste in your hobby and there are already some guy that have a huge amount of flying time and know what they are doing/ how to shoot straight.

On the weekend, I found some time for a little flying around, so me and my squadmate took off for an evening sortie along the British SW coast. As we were just cruising along in echelon formation at 4500m it was quite relaxed, some chatting and discussing issues. I just remarked to my wingman that I can not overlook his six, meaning him to go into combat spread, cause you never know. I never saw an RAF player-plane over 2000m in my limited playing time, so I didn´t expect anything to happen anyway, just a remark.

4 seconds later my squadmate says in TS, "Oh I am hit, am bailing out." Looking around I saw a spitfire zooming up above me. Well, I tried to take a few angles from him to complicate his next bounce and then went into a dive. Diving from 4000m on deck I thought I should be clear and saw nothing behind me, so I got my bearing. Then I looked around again and the spit was 300m behind and closing in fast. Well, so far for the better dive speed of the 109, I thought 700km/h would be enough, but well... no chance of out running I went into a flat scissor. The Spitfire didn´t swallow that bait and just zoomed up again. In the next scissor to answer his high jojo I received some hits in the wing, stalled and crashed. "Valec" in the Spitfire being a full time CoD-Pilot did everything right and just wasted us two weekend pilots with ease.

To cut it short, a player just coming along, hopping onto a server and in need of some success/satisfaction, will probably quit the game really fast, especially when he is used to 1946 fast-success-gameplay, even though the game is quite new to the most of us (I for myself have not even mapped the WEP of the 109 yet).

Last edited by SNAFU; 10-24-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Approved Member

I totally concur with your assessment SNAFU. The servers are catering the hardcore flight sim fans and will leave newcomers running.

And without at least a wingman I never fly on the online servers. It's just not worth my time.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAFU View Post
In the end, the transit from Il2 1946 to CoD is like a new start. All the pros are starting agains as "noobs" in the new game, I guess that`s why many stick with 1946... In the end it all depends on the time available and the amount of time you want to waste in your hobby and there are already some guy that have a huge amount of flying time and know what they are doing/ how to shoot straight.
What?

There's only one way to fly a warbird correctly: keep your energy, don't give a firing solution to your opponent, attack only with advantage OR go away. This is the way you score some kills AND RTB.

Why should be it different? Maybe because in CloD the fights are usually below 2km? Over airbases too? Then I agree with you...

I'm sticking with 1946 because the game keeps freezing after 30 minutes and I can't see enemies (50 guys on the server and I see nobody from 4km)...

A whole generation of pilots learned to treasure the Spitfire for its delightful response to aerobatic manoeuvres and its handiness as a dogfighter. Iit is odd that they had continued to esteem these qualities over those of other fighters in spite of the fact that they were of only secondary importance tactically.Thus it is doubly ironic that the Spitfire’s reputation would habitually be established by reference to archaic, non-tactical criteria.

Last edited by 6S.Manu; 10-24-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Aaaa and something else serius pilots still playing IL2 1946
online wars ADW.
I thought serious pilots would be flying real aircraft with a frown on their faces?

I couldn't class myself a a serious pilot! The look I had on my face when I flew real aircraft was constantly shifting from sheer joy to absolute terror!

Though I could be wrong.

Cheers!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Approved Member

Did i miss something here ?
We are talking about virtual flights.

If I'm misunderstood, I'm rephrasing the serious virtual pilots still stay with
1946 because :
- Cod has serious bug issues
- has no on line wars
- has over-modeled planes
- has PC requirements most cant afford

Time will tell about this game ....

So when you brag about a snapshot of time being behind 1 or another plane is
just random shooting opportunity which you might have or you might have not.....

What if there was a wingman there a bit higher?
Old 10-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Approved Member

Wow. No wonder I don't play online anymore. Thanks for the reminder.

'I love it when they quit'? Awesome. Make sure everybody quits. That'd be brilliant. 'Then you know you've really beaten them'.....or maybe they went to make a cup of tea? Or real life (gasp!) intervened. Who knows. Who cares. And coming here to chest beat about it is, in fact, lame. Clearly I don't have the 'serious gamer' life anymore....these kind of comments are no better than playing COD (the other, bigger one) all day, and laughing at 'teh noobz'. Please.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Approved Member

My comments are not insulting about anyone i feel!!

and my hobby is flightsims covering about the most 1 or 2 hours every 2 day...

There is also real life as you said but

When I do my hobby I get the most of it.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:17 AM
Approved Member

Wow, has this tread been totally derailed.

And there is no Hurri in the game that can catch a 109 at any altitude if the 109 driver decides to disengage. You guys that fly 109s know that.

The only time I have caught a 109 with my Hurri was when I had significant height advantage and turned all that into speed, and even then it is short lived as once the Hurri levels out it's like pushing a barn door through the air. If you are getting caught by Hurris, you are not extending away enough, or have grossly misjudged your and his energy state. Period.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 10-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Did i miss something here ?
We are talking about virtual flights.
No, I was just having a joke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM505 View Post
Wow. No wonder I don't play online anymore. Thanks for the reminder.

'I love it when they quit'? Awesome. Make sure everybody quits. That'd be brilliant. 'Then you know you've really beaten them'.....or maybe they went to make a cup of tea? Or real life (gasp!) intervened. Who knows. Who cares. And coming here to chest beat about it is, in fact, lame. Clearly I don't have the 'serious gamer' life anymore....these kind of comments are no better than playing COD (the other, bigger one) all day, and laughing at 'teh noobz'. Please.
I wouldn't take it so so seriously, I think El Aurens was just having a go at someone who was a bad sport and quit because he 'lost'!

Every time I get shotdown or have to bail, I try to send a "Good Kill" message to my opponent. If I manage to limp back home and wreck my plane landing on a friendly airfield I count that as a victory for myself (if I'm still alive).

After waiting a long time for the sim I think El was a bit dissapointed with COD at it's release (please correct me if I'm wrong El !) I took his post as having a go online and enjoying the experience!

Cheers!

Last edited by Skoshi Tiger; 10-24-2011 at 12:00 PM.