Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 05:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedLynch View Post
They did communicate that to us, maybe you want to read the sticky for this beta patch again.
It is the purpose of a beta patch, which is by it's definition unfinished and experimental, to see how it runs and apart from the effects bug it runs just fine. So they are going to iron this out and release a stable retail patch.

In the meantime roll back to a previous version or turn the effects off.

We could only be upset if this had been the retail patch.
It's the tendency over time. Fix one, introduce two new.
If such an obvious thing as the explosion bug is in the beta (you know there are something called alpha right?) then that is for me a clear indication that something's wrong in the development chain.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:59 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE-OF-ACES View Post
I have to wonder what part of 'beta' do these people not understand?

I mean the download clearly says 'beta' in the title.. right?

So I don't think they can say they didn't realize it is a 'beta' patch.. But than again their are people in their 30s trying to sue cigarette companies claiming they didn't realize smoking was bad.. Even though cigarette packages have had warning labels for over 30 years.. So I guess I am not surprised that a few people try to..

I guess I just never realized there were 'so many' of these 'few' types of people.

Here luthier gives us a beta patch to 'test'.. Yet these people act shocked that there is a bug in a beta patch? To the point that some are having a total break down hissy fit and saying they give up..

@ luthier.. I know you meant well..

And I know you thought you might be able to receive some useful feedback by releasing this beta patch to the masses.. The idea being more people beta testings means you will be able to find and fix bugs sooner..

And I know you even went as far as to say in your first post, i.e.

Yet they act as if you said nothing at all.. based on the majority of the responses thus far..

I think you might be better off sticking to the way you have done it in the past.. Just release the beta patch to your smaller select group of testers..

Oh sure that means it will take longer to find bugs because there are less people beta testing..

But when you consider that 'most' of the 'masses' are not even willing to make use of a work around (turn effects to low) to continue beta testing..

You got to ask yourself is it worth the trouble?

Clearly 'most' of the 'masses' here have no idea of what beta means and the purpose behind releasing a beta patch
Maybe the question should be 'why do we even bother'? Of what value is a beta patch in terms of information gathering when it locks up the sim within seconds (not related to explosions) and one has to kill it with Task Manager....generating no crash dump files whatsoever? It is unplayable, with far worse FPS and no I won't turn down one of the few things that make it enjoyable. Whose fault is that? Ours? FYI, we essentially 'agreed' (for 'agreed' read 'were duped') to being Alpha testers when we bought this, not to mention being conned into buying something that bears no resemblance to what CoD actually is. Most here have done their fair share of testing, (and shown quite remarkable patience). That wasn't the deal....if you remember.

Half a year on, still the 'one step forwards, two back' dance. FYI I have made a truckload of bug reports and tried to help, but it feels like trying to help a CRACKHEAD who pockets the money you gave him for food and clothes and returns to the demon glass pipe.

It's a p*ss take of Biblical proportion and most people have little enough free time to enjoy themselves as it is. I already have a job, don't need need two. CoD at times is work. I am not a 1c employee, and while I will try to help (and certainly have done) within reason, getting things sorted is in fact their job. Capische?

Cheers.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:12 AM
Approved Member

Quote:

So I don't think they can say they didn't realize it is a 'beta' patch.. But than again their are people in their 30s trying to sue cigarette companies claiming they didn't realize smoking was bad.. Even though cigarette packages have had warning labels for over 30 years.. So I guess I am not surprised that a few people try to..

I guess I just never realized there were 'so many' of these 'few' types of people.

Here luthier gives us a beta patch to 'test'.. Yet these people act shocked that there is a bug in a beta patch? To the point that some are having a total break down hissy fit and saying they give up..

And I know you thought you might be able to receive some useful feedback by releasing this beta patch to the masses.. The idea being more people beta testings means you will be able to find and fix bugs sooner..

Yet they act as if you said nothing at all.. based on the majority of the responses thus far..

I think you might be better off sticking to the way you have done it in the past.. Just release the beta patch to your smaller select group of testers..

Oh sure that means it will take longer to find bugs because there are less people beta testing..

But when you consider that 'most' of the 'masses' are not even willing to make use of a work around (turn effects to low) to continue beta testing..

Clearly 'most' of the 'masses' here have no idea of what beta means and the purpose behind releasing a beta patch
+ 100

Mazex
Old 10-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAF_FB_Orville View Post
Maybe the question should be 'why do we even bother'? Of what value is a beta patch in terms of information gathering when it locks up the sim within seconds (not related to explosions) and one has to kill it with Task Manager....generating no crash dump files whatsoever? It is unplayable, with far worse FPS and no I won't turn down one of the few things that make it enjoyable. Whose fault is that? Ours? FYI, we essentially 'agreed' (for 'agreed' read 'were duped') to being Alpha testers when we bought this, not to mention being conned into buying something that bears no resemblance to what CoD actually is. Most here have done their fair share of testing, (and shown quite remarkable patience). That wasn't the deal....if you remember.

Half a year on, still the 'one step forwards, two back' dance. FYI I have made a truckload of bug reports and tried to help, but it feels like trying to help a CRACKHEAD who pockets the money you gave him for food and clothes and returns to the demon glass pipe.

It's a p*ss take of Biblical proportion and most people have little enough free time to enjoy themselves as it is. I already have a job, don't need need two. CoD at times is work. I am not a 1c employee, and while I will try to help (and certainly have done) within reason, getting things sorted is in fact their job. Capische?

Cheers.
Well put Orville. I've spent more time testing and tweaking this game than actually enjoying it.
It's more than obvious that 1C do not have their own testers and that they rely on us to do their work. I wouldn't mind being a beta tester but alpha? Nah.
I'm not sure I like this new process where the customers/clients are the alpha testers. Make a parallell with buying a car or any other product if you will.

- "Great. Now the turn indicators work but they're inverted (handle down=right indicator and vv). I love the new iPhone gadget you introduced but now the brakes don't work anymore."

I suggest 1C asks the community for beta testers and pick out 300 or so for a closed beta. Then sets up a closed beta server and give the testers a t-shirt and a mug or something and mention them in the "thank you" text in the game.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Tvrdi

Quote:

the game was alpha when it was released....

and he bothers because we purchased this half finished product...
Old 10-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeanze View Post
Well put Orville. I've spent more time testing and tweaking this game than actually enjoying it.
It's more than obvious that 1C do not have their own testers and that they rely on us to do their work. I wouldn't mind being a beta tester but alpha? Nah.
I'm not sure I like this new process where the customers/clients are the alpha testers. Make a parallell with buying a car or any other product if you will.

- "Great. Now the turn indicators work but they're inverted (handle down=right indicator and vv). I love the new iPhone gadget you introduced but now the brakes don't work anymore."

I suggest 1C asks the community for beta testers and pick out 300 or so for a closed beta. Then sets up a closed beta server and give the testers a t-shirt and a mug or something and mention them in the "thank you" text in the game.
Have to agree a bit here. The purpose of a patch (correct me if I'm wrong here), be it alpha, beta or whatever is to improve upon earlier release, not make it worse. Stop saying "luthier don't bother, those ingrates don't understand you like we do" because every single person on this forum appreciate the work they do BUT their work leaves us dumbfounded over and over again. 1 step forward, 2 steps back etc.

Also, try to get it in your heads that Luthier isn't releasing patches, he's trying to finish the game! At this pace this game shouldn't have been released before Q4 2012. Of course we moaned and wanted it released ASAP, who wouldn't have wanted it released?! That wasn't the reason they released it though, it was some other reason, most likely lack of dollar reasons.

Anywho, don't point fingers at the community, we are IL-2! Fact is, we are playing an alpha stage game on it's way into beta.

Last edited by addman; 10-06-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:29 AM
Tree_UK

Really, I think Luthier shouldn't bother anymore, its clear this project is well over the heads of the DEv's, give the game to the community, let the real pro's fix it like they did Il2.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
Really, I think Luthier shouldn't bother anymore, its clear this project is well over the heads of the DEv's, give the game to the community, let the real pro's fix it like they did Il2.
Lmao what a load of bs.... Ahahah.

For me the game is running quite well, obviously you can't test it fully until they remove the crash bug.

Tree stop throwing your toys out of the pram.. It's a beta and luthier specifically stated that some system were experiencing problems... I could agree with your toy throwing if this was a proper patch but this is a BETA we are meant to test it.

That said from what I have seen cockpits over saturated and land is back to being too pastel coloured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Approved Member

S!

Well, Luthier and his team were given a pile of unfinished code done over 6 years, restarted and whatever. I do not envy his task of finishing this product. So this is what we got for now and until Luthier's team get their work done we just have to test and wait.
But fact still is that the game is far from being even remotely ready. Potential, a step to right direction or a beta patch is NOT same as beign ready.
I already shelved the game and went to other games like World Of Tanks, A-10C Warthog etc. and just check the progress of CoD now and then. Maybe in a year or so it is mature enough to actually be what it should have been from the start. Really, I wish the Cod Would be ready and a shining start, but now..choose yourself.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Approved Member

Those complaining about it without considering that is a beta is likely to be those who have not yet accepted the fact that months ago bought a simulator in an alpha state.
The damage has been done at the release, and now the only possible thing we can do is be positive, cooperative and patient.

just my 0.02 eurocents
Closed Thread