Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Vehicle and Terrain threads

Vehicle and Terrain threads Discussions about environment and vehicles in CoD

Old 07-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDoggles View Post
too be honest, i tought you were Macho. didnt care too look at the name of the thread creator.

good one
Old 07-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Approved Member

the real problem is that the sea is scaled incorrectly, when it seems you're about 100m or so you're actually higher and it's awkward to be able to go lower than that and watch the the sea go blurry; imagine that same effect over ground...
Old 07-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Approved Member

I just think it's very strange we have 3D waves in il2 pacific fighters and 1946, everyone loves them I think. But in a newer version we have 2D waves again and they are too big and move too fast... [edit] I think the main problem is the speed the waves are moving, the size could be alright.
and the first video's we saw from SOW where waves hitting the shore and slow 3D waves, and we don't have those..

for the water look from 6:00

I wanted to show a video from Fredgreens acount, he played il2 at the best graphics, but his account has been terminated

Last edited by kedrednael; 07-06-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatta Raso View Post
the real problem is that the sea is scaled incorrectly, when it seems you're about 100m or so you're actually higher and it's awkward to be able to go lower than that and watch the the sea go blurry; imagine that same effect over ground...
It was my understanding that its hard to tell when flying so maybe they tried to account for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
The waves on the ocean look like it's in fast forward. Is there a way to slow this down in a setting someplace? When you slow motion it down one click using the keyboard button it looks much better. This has bugged me from the start.
I've had the pleasure of crossing the channel a few times and my observations were that it indeed was choppy for most of the crossings. Being shallow and rather windy there was always a sea chop and small whitecaps not the big slow rolling waves usually found in the Ocean. The colour at places was sometimes silty looking but mostly grey/green or a steely colour pending on the weather, time of day and season.

To me in COD it always looks like a windy day with all the chop and foam which is quite possible but it should also look calmer at times with gentle but short rollers.

As far as how things look, I think it is great that this group is putting their comments forward (many from the actual locations) for debate. How else will the devs be able to perfect a sim which is their objective?
Old 07-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Approved Member

Everybody remembers of course that the water is a place-holder, much better water is (eventually) coming. Remember the tranparent water with the rolling waves that Oleg was showing off last year...
Crucial M4 256GB SSD, WD Raptor 600 GB hard disk
EVGA GTX580 graphics card
HP ZR24W Monitor 1900 X 1200 24"
Thrustmaster Warthog joystick
Saitek Combat rudder pedals
TrackIr 5
Old 07-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Approved Member

I also agree that the current water looks like it is in fast forward. Well so it does. Frikken sue me. :p
Old 07-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
The waves on the ocean look like it's in fast forward. Is there a way to slow this down in a setting someplace? When you slow motion it down one click using the keyboard button it looks much better. This has bugged me from the start.
Well CaptainDoggles what does it feel like to be in a room full of people that don't get sarcasm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Approved Member

Great joke. For a few seconds I was thinking - "Longitudinal waves vs Transverse waves, the effect of swell in shallow water, etc...."

In the last few months, I've seen one user I know - who's was actually posting from Afganistan on duty - seeing tracers rounds every week - having to argue with forum users about "what tracers actually look like".

Here goes my feeble attempt.....

For 36 years, I've been going to sea - flying in helo's from ship to ship at obviously low alt - and long ago - many Maritime Patrol Aircraft missions back in the mid-80's.

Yes, it's not exactly real - in the confluence of internal waves, swells and Bragg waves in shallow water are not represented - however I never had any expectation that they would be. You want your physics in the Flight Model - not the wave model. No small art trick will ever make that happen.

With that all said, I find the waves and general ocean surface represented better than I expected. It's difficult to tell your exact altitude on the real ocean - and I find a similar feeling with CoD - which I don't find at all in Il2 - mod or otherwise.

Great pun.....

S!

Gunny
Warthog and U2Nxt Cougar under t.a.r.g.e.t
Old 07-07-2011, 12:42 AM
Approved Member

If you turn down your vertical resolution the waves will not be as tall.