Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

I have a floor mounted joystick which emulates a real warbird stick.
All you need is an old sidewinder, some tube, wood and RJ45 cable.
I'll post a how to if anyone is interested (also one up at flightsim.com which uses metal in stead of pipe).
Old 05-12-2011, 01:16 PM
speculum jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger View Post
I have the Thrustmaster hotas Warthog and all i can say is WOOOOW! This is the absolute best joystick i ever had. Absolute precision and really well build and high quality. Worth every penny.
I also have it centermounted with a 22cm extension and i tell you. This is pure precision flying and aiming. There is nothing better!

Winger
Got some pics of this setup?
Old 05-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speculum jockey View Post
Got some pics of this setup?
Here you go:
btw. This tube there is some simple rainpipe screwed together with some brackets. All the stuff needed can be cought in a simple building centre. The extension is bought from "Metalnwood" over at simhq forums. But i read that there are cheapo solutions to that as well (som kind of gardenhose - go read on simhq if you wanna know more details).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg full-19565-10732-2.jpg (254.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg full-19565-10731-1.jpg (268.6 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Winger; 05-12-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Here you go:
btw. This tube there is some simple rainpipe screwed together with some brackets. All the stuff needed can be cought in a simple building centre. The extension is bought from "Metalnwood" over at simhq forums. But i read that there are cheapo solutions to that as well (som kind of gardenhose - go read on simhq if you wanna know more details).
That's dedication, I say!

Why RJ-45? Not USB?
Old 05-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeanze View Post
That's dedication, I say!

Why RJ-45? Not USB?
RJ45? What ya mean?

Winger
Old 05-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogTailRed2 View Post
I have a floor mounted joystick which emulates a real warbird stick.
All you need is an old sidewinder, some tube, wood and RJ45 cable.
I'll post a how to if anyone is interested (also one up at flightsim.com which uses metal in stead of pipe).
Got pics too?

Also, why do we need a RJ45(Phonejack) cable?
Old 05-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Bogus View Post
I had to retire my old M$ FF1 stick as part of the latest PC upgrade, and just took delivery of a Logitech G940 FF system - not a cheap piece of kit, but I'm impressed so far - really good force feedback, and good solid bases. The rudder pedals are a new feature for me, and work well, especially the toe brakes, which don't work on the Spitfire (well they wouldn't would they, as it didn't have them They do work fine on the 109 though ).
I was using an X45 until this arrived, and it's in a different league altogether.

Adds enormously to the game immersion, and is absolutely, definitely, positively worth the investment

Another week and I'll have all the features understood and programmed

A couple of game-related FF comments:
The stall warning is excellent (my main reason for having it!) and the FF effects generally very good.
The machine gun effect is rather good, but the shake continues after the ammo runs out.
The shake when the engine cooks is quite frankly just unnecessary and shatters the immersive quality of the game IMHO - it reminds me of the old CFS stick shake when taxying - did those ailerons really drag along the ground

I waited ages for a decent FF stick to come on the market, and although I haven't tried anything else, I'm glad this came along when it did - it's nigh on perfect.

How is the feel of the center with this stick? I mean is there any deadzone? I have an MS Force Feedback 2, but i want to buy a complete system with pedals and throttle also. With thisstick i got very good immersion at what speeds does the plane feel itself good. I'm wondering whether is it possible to use the pedals and throttle of the G940 with the MSFFB 2?
Old 05-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunge View Post
How is the feel of the center with this stick? I mean is there any deadzone? I have an MS Force Feedback 2, but i want to buy a complete system with pedals and throttle also. With thisstick i got very good immersion at what speeds does the plane feel itself good. I'm wondering whether is it possible to use the pedals and throttle of the G940 with the MSFFB 2?
It's still early days here (only got the game running yesterday), and I'm still tuning the controls to suit the stick, but control finesse around neutral seems just fine; reducing the deadzone in the control panel certainly gets translated into a more sensitive stick around neutral - most time I feel like I'm just breathing on it to keep the sight on the target, so I'd say its as tuneable as you need from pretty much zero deadzone upwards.

<edit> watching the joystick in the cockpit there's no deadzone at all, so the stick is very tight when new, at least

When carrying speed out of a dive the stick firms up to the point where real strength is required to overcome the FF. I was doing some vertical stuff earlier, and I stayed nose high for too long; the stick went very baggy just before the plane started tumbling, so the force range is very large.

I don't see why you couldn't run the old M$ stick with the new pedals and throttle, although you'll still need the new stick connected as it's the main interface - I can't try this with my old gameport FF1, so it's pure specualtion!

That said, I'd say this stick is a worthy successor to the old M$ stick, and I don't think you'd be missing it once the G940 is up and running.

Last edited by B_Bogus; 05-12-2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 05-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Approved Member

i've got the x52 SAITEK for some years-good stick
i've got the COUGAR for some years--excellent tool to work with and good feeling
now i've got TM WARTHOG--THE MOST REALISTIC
Old 05-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Here you go:
EXCELLENT
i had to put my warthog too to this..