Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 04-19-2011, 02:51 AM
Approved Member

hi Blackdog_kt

I found this part you wrote very interesting:

b) The units are relative and not absolute.
"This means that while the boost gauge measures manifold pressure in psi it is not the actual pressure in the manifold. What it measures is the pressure in psi relative to the standard pressure on sea level ie, it shows you how far above or below you are from standard sea level pressure"

I now realize the above bit of info has been written about in the other posts expressed in formulas etc. but the way you put it is easier to understand....it's little bits of practical knowledge like this that will help to fully comprehend the basic principles of boost etc.

there's been much advice given on this subject and to be honest alot of it has been too hard to follow completely...if this was real life and my life depended on it I would make damned sure I did... 100% of it...but it ain't and I just what enough info in order to "fly" these simulated aircraft well enough so that the A.I. or the humans online are not always handing me my ass back

thanks
Old 04-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Approved Member

Anyone?
Old 04-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Approved Member

go to http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=21590 for the complete post of Viper2000 (second page). if you are lazy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2000 View Post

5 - Practical flying

Use throttle to control boost, use propeller control to set rpm, set mixture rich unless you're cruising at reduced power.

At least IRL, problems with CHT or coolant temperature, with oil temperature or with oil pressure will kill most engines much faster than simply running them at high power settings, because the time limits in the manual are intended to allow the engine to achieve its design overhaul life. In general, it has been observed that limits only matter if you realistically expect to use the aeroplane again.

When increasing power, first go to rich mixture, then increase rpm, and then increase power to the desired boost setting.

When decreasing power, first decrease boost, then decrease rpm, and finally weaken the mixture.
You can read recommended settings for some planes in the manual that is in the game folder.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babi View Post
go to http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=21590 for the complete post of Viper2000 (second page). if you are lazy:

You can read recommended settings for some planes in the manual that is in the game folder.
Done that and it doesn't explain the question that I asked (which I gave a lot of back ground to). Why would the Spitfire Ia fly faster on fine prop setting than coarse? Why doesn't the rpm go above 3000rpm like in the video provided with a fine setting? Based on the information and the answers given it seems like the game doesn't really simulate prop pitch (prove me wrong and I will be happy because I want to learn)
Old 04-19-2011, 02:38 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredfetish View Post
Done that and it doesn't explain the question that I asked (which I gave a lot of back ground to). Why would the Spitfire Ia fly faster on fine prop setting than coarse? Why doesn't the rpm go above 3000rpm like in the video provided with a fine setting? Based on the information and the answers given it seems like the game doesn't really simulate prop pitch (prove me wrong and I will be happy because I want to learn)
I'm not sure about being faster on the fine setting, I haven't experienced that. But, I get the same thing with the RPMs... I cannot get over that dangerous rpm limit like in the video if I set the pitch fine and crank the throttle full.

The video makes it seem like you can easily wreck the engine doing this, but with full CEM & Heat management the only thing that I have to make sure is the radiator is set correctly... Anything else only affects my speed... Dives, incorrect prop pitch, changing the mixture, throttle wherever I feel like it, nothing seems to make the engine go into dangerous zones.

Doesn't seem right to me. I had seen quite a few people post that they kept blowing their engines so quickly and couldn't get the settings right. I decided not to try CEM & Heat managment for a while because it seemed so hard. Finally when I tried it, I never blow my engine or have oil come up anywhere. Doesn't seem right to me, I think it should be harder.

I'm no ace or anything and can't reach top speeds, but I don't understand why I don't wreck my plane with my horrible engine management. Oh ya, I've tried all variations of the Spit doing this.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredfetish View Post
Done that and it doesn't explain the question that I asked (which I gave a lot of back ground to)
Sorry i mixed up yours and bDAWg's question, at the top of this page.