Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 11:55 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike View Post
Looks like devs should add texture quality sliders and SSAO improvement options to the game! Nice find!
Yes, some comment on this would be good. This comment from the simhq thread speaks volumes:

No457_Squog: "MANY thanks for what you've made for the sim! I was able to cruise over London at 60+ fps at low level

I made a donation at your site in apreciation, too

What are your thoughts on expanding the functionality?"
Old 04-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Approved Member

Maybe better solution would be to decrease textures sizes and quality and to gain some performance, especially for older graphic cards.

BTW I find that "mod" a bit too difficult to install . . .
Old 04-10-2011, 12:11 AM
Approved Member

Just follow the instructions, it really isn't that difficult.

I got a ~20% increase in average FPS, with no discernible loss of image quality. Excellent job!
Old 04-10-2011, 12:45 AM
Approved Member

Ok.. I'm more or less retarded SO it took me a little bit to figure out what to actually do here..

First, get the sfsMOD for the link www.kegetys.net/misc

Install that FIRST according to the read me. You simply toss the kegetys.dll file where it tells you and then AFTER you backup the Launcher.exe.config file you make the edits shown in RED in the readme.

Now, once that is done, download the lotex and the noSSAO mod folders and put those folders where they tell you (the maid IL2 COD Directory steam/steamapps etc.)

Then for simplicity sake, open STEAM and in LIBRARY right click on the IL2 game and go to properties.. Under the GENERAL tab go to launch options and enter the following..

-mod=nossao -mod=lowtex

thats it.. hit OK and exit...

When you run the game through steam those 2 should work..

RESULTS: I have a system that I run the Bomber Intercept Mission at 1920X1200 with everything set to HIGH and no AA (because I don't think its working anyway) and I turn the SHADOWS OFF Just SHADOWS

Before the MODS

fps merging with the He111's in my Hurricane ~60 fps

After those 2 MODS

fps merging with the He111's in my Hurricane ~102fps

Over London my FPS went from the 30's to the 60's Still some occasional stutters but after about a minute its smooth as glass.

This is NOT a trivial development for this game..this is HUGE. 1C and the crew needs to incorporate this into the US release version to give performance that people can really get into and generate good reviews and sales.. this is just the kind of HIGH return fix that could buy them the time to fix things while people can still play...
XFX 6970 Video Card
Win7 64 Bit Home Ed
ATI 12.3 Driver Package
WD Caviar 7600 RPM HDD
ATI CCC at DEFAULT settings
Old 04-10-2011, 01:27 AM
Approved Member

Disabling SSAO is a option interesting to add to the graphics options.

Actually the most interesting part of all this is that disabling mipmaps fix the shuttering completely.

So is possible that there a problem with the mipmaps in the code.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:55 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avala View Post
Maybe better solution would be to decrease textures sizes and quality and to gain some performance, especially for older graphic cards.

BTW I find that "mod" a bit too difficult to install . . .
I believe by lowering your screen resolution it automatically reduced texture res. Correct me if im wrong. Ive been telling people to lower there resolution for days to get better fps but most people here are either to ignorant , stubborn or too stupid too try it.
“Violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children: organized religion ought to have a great deal on its conscience.”
― Christopher Hitchens

Last edited by Oldschool61; 04-10-2011 at 03:00 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:00 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG14_Jagr View Post
Ok.. I'm more or less retarded SO it took me a little bit to figure out what to actually do here..

First, get the sfsMOD for the link www.kegetys.net/misc

Install that FIRST according to the read me. You simply toss the kegetys.dll file where it tells you and then AFTER you backup the Launcher.exe.config file you make the edits shown in RED in the readme.

Now, once that is done, download the lotex and the noSSAO mod folders and put those folders where they tell you (the maid IL2 COD Directory steam/steamapps etc.)

Then for simplicity sake, open STEAM and in LIBRARY right click on the IL2 game and go to properties.. Under the GENERAL tab go to launch options and enter the following..

-mod=nossao -mod=lowtex

thats it.. hit OK and exit...

When you run the game through steam those 2 should work..

RESULTS: I have a system that I run the Bomber Intercept Mission at 1920X1200 with everything set to HIGH and no AA (because I don't think its working anyway) and I turn the SHADOWS OFF Just SHADOWS

Before the MODS

fps merging with the He111's in my Hurricane ~60 fps

After those 2 MODS

fps merging with the He111's in my Hurricane ~102fps

Over London my FPS went from the 30's to the 60's Still some occasional stutters but after about a minute its smooth as glass.

This is NOT a trivial development for this game..this is HUGE. 1C and the crew needs to incorporate this into the US release version to give performance that people can really get into and generate good reviews and sales.. this is just the kind of HIGH return fix that could buy them the time to fix things while people can still play...
Now try it again with your screen res at 1280x720 and be amazed, you probably can turn EVERYTHING on.
“Violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children: organized religion ought to have a great deal on its conscience.”
― Christopher Hitchens
Old 04-10-2011, 03:02 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool61 View Post
I believe by lowering your screen resolution it automatically reduced texture res. Correct me if im wrong. Ive been telling people to lower there resolution for days to get better fps but most people here are either to ignorant , stubborn or stupid too try it.
The textures in the game are "too big", that's the problem... the solution is not to reduce your resolution, but to reduce the texture sizes. Reducing the texture resolution will lower the overall image quality just a bit, on the other side, reducing your resolution will have a big impact in your IQ (worse if you use a LCD screen).

With the mod (lowtex and nossao) fix i've gained 25fps and less stutters, without any noticeable decrease in IQ.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:26 AM
Approved Member

Much better yes! We still need SLI..
It give me some serious doubt on the team...

http://www.gozr.net/iocl/
Old 04-10-2011, 03:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOZR View Post
It give me some serious doubt on the team...
I don't think it should... From what I understand SSAO is one of those more advanced graphics options that you will want switched on when your hardware can handle it. Maybe an option to disable until then would be good, though.
Closed Thread