Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Vehicle and Terrain threads

Vehicle and Terrain threads Discussions about environment and vehicles in CoD

Old 04-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
Oh it also looks like a shadow on that small rise in the centre bottom of the photo? I don't know other sims where landscape features cause shadows? That's cool if it is!

Cheers!
Yes, it DOES look like a hill!

But notice the river runs OVER that little hill?

We will see its true later.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
Oh it also looks like a shadow on that small rise in the centre bottom of the photo? I don't know other sims where landscape features cause shadows? That's cool if it is!

Cheers!

And with a river crosing the hill, up and down !
hehehe
Old 04-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Approved Member

The CoD screenshot is much more accurate than the second screenshot, England from the air does not look washed out like that even on the most overcast of days. I am a pilot and exceedingly familiar with the English countryside flying over more days than I can count.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Approved Member

My explanation -> deuteranomaly
Old 04-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Approved Member

Show a comparison from a takeoff point of view..
Old 04-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Approved Member

I'm sad to see no river banks as promise Haa we will see what are the possibilities soon i hope ..

http://www.gozr.net/iocl/
Old 04-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Approved Member

I want to reserve final judgement until I have my own copy to test, but going by many of the screenshots on release I can't really say the landscape textures have really wowed me. I think it's the painterly, non photographic look that turns me off- the way textures blend into each other artificially, especially along the rivers this is quite noticeable. The colours are more subjective, since environment lighting can be so diverse. But resolution, detail, and overall balance and cohesion of the ground textures seems lacking. It looks unconvincing for now. Perhaps this is not such a big deal when everything is in motion, but seeing how well Wings of Prey handled the environment I was looking forward to seeing it matched or bettered by ClOD. The water on the other hand looks fantastic, with the small breaking waves punctuating and breaking up the surface. Really nice touch.

I'll just repeat I don't have the game yet. Looking at static screens you can of course get quite picky. I've done some environment work for other games and understand the argument well that details are lost in the heat of battle. You could work on perfecting textures endlessly but at the end of the day you're looking through the crosshairs, not down onto scenery. Still, nice scenery is nice
Old 04-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Approved Member

As previously pointed out, it all depends on the lightning conditions..
If it's a bright summer day then everything will look more yellow and vivid..
Old 04-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Approved Member

im not a big fan of that game but WOPs terrain color grading was top notch. i wouldn't mind if the clods devs try to mimic it.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiseki View Post
As previously pointed out, it all depends on the lightning conditions..
If it's a bright summer day then everything will look more yellow and vivid..
Nope - they just got the colours wrong to represent England in summer. The yellow cast makes it look more like southern France. I suspect their budget didn't extend to sending someone to the UK in summer and hiring an aircraft. Of course, they could have consulted some of us who actually do fly over southern England in summer...

I don't have WoP, but I rate RoF as better than CloD in terms of convincing texture colours, even if the textures are perhaps of lower resolution.