Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Vehicle and Terrain threads

Vehicle and Terrain threads Discussions about environment and vehicles in CoD

Old 05-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrattu View Post
There is nothing wrong.

In some parts the manuals of the Luftwaffe are a little confusing. Concerning the BF109E-3 radiator ... ...

"AUF" means "EXTEND" - If the radiator flaps are fully extended, the indicator / pins are extended (fully visible).
"ZU" means "RETRACT" - If the radiator flaps are fully retracted, the indicator / pins are also retracted.

@Cheesehawk (05-05-2011 02:32 PM)
Your explanation should convince the last doubter

Happy landings

Varrattu
I should have mentioned at the start that I'm half German so I'm not using Google translate either when I read the manual.

Yes 'auf' means extended (open) and in the manual it says versenkter Stab (sunken rod) when the Klappe/flap is 'Auf'/open; which is the opposite of what appears in the game.

If 'auf' were meant to mean 'up' then it would be Klappe hoch you would never so 'auf' in that context.

It does seem counter intuitive to do this in terms of reducing drag (although it would be minimal) but I'm going by what the manual says and by the indicators drawn on the rod itself, they must have copied it's appearance from somewhere and presently they make no sense.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnomad View Post

Yes 'auf' means extended (open) and in the manual it says versenkter Stab (sunken rod) when the Klappe/flap is 'Auf'/open; which is the opposite of what appears in the game.
Hi xnomad,

unfortunately t the author of the manual took the word "AUF" instead of "AUFWÄRTS" or "GESCHLOSSEN". That's the reason why it looks like the opposite of what appears in the game. The function in CloD is okay, the manual is also okay but a little confusing.

Happy landing

Varrattu

Last edited by Varrattu; 05-11-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanK View Post
The E3B in the RAF museum. Radflaps Open Pin up

The angle of which that picture is taken is nearly in line of the upper wing surface, so you can see the rod in is lower end position. The rods never sunk so much into the surface, that you would not see it (which makes perfect sense, as a indicator that can't be seen isn't good. ) This can be seen on the other pics showing open flaps, too.

Please all download the manual from the starting post, browse to page 47 and have alook at the picture marked "Abb. 60" (Abb. meaning Abbildung, meaning illustration") there the rod is shown, and you can clearly see that it just was a rod attached to the radiator flap. No gearing/whatsoever that reversed it's movement compared to the movement of the flap.

Its also written in the text just above the abb 60:

"Die Anzeigestange (60c) durch die Tragfläche führen und an den beiden Winkeln (60d) der Kühlerklappen (60a) anlenken."
"Push the indicator Rod (60c) through the airfoil and connect it with the brackets (60d) to the cowl flaps (60a)"

Also, "versenkter stab: klappe auf" on page 3 isn't badly chosen words. It says "open water cooler if needed (with crank located to the right of the seat); indicator on top of airfoil (sunken rod: flap open)". No german uses the word "Auf" for the meaning of up if the context is something you can open or close. Especially if "up" isnt "open".

Last edited by InsaneDruid; 05-12-2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: some typos fixed
Old 05-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneDruid View Post
Please all download the manual from the starting post, browse to page 47 and have alook at the picture marked "Abb. 60" (Abb. meaning Abbildung, meahing illustration") there the rod is shown and you can clearly see that it just was a rod attached to the radiator flap. No gearing/whatsoever that reversed its movement compared to the movement of the flap.

Its also written in the text just above the abb 60:

"Die Anzeigestange (60c) durch die Tragfläche führen und an den beiden Winkeln (60d) der Kühlerklappen (60a) anlenken."
"Push the indicator Rod (60c) through the airfoil and connect it with the brackets (60d) to the cowl flaps (60a)"

Also, "versenkter stab: klappe auf" on page 3 isn't badly chosen words. It says "open water cooler if needed (with crank located to the right of the seat); indicator on top of airfoil (sunken rod: flap open)". No german uses the word "Auf" for the meaning of up if the context is something you can open or close. Especially if "up" isnt "open".
!!! OKAY, CONVINCED !!!!

bf109 radiator indicator rods are wrong (reversed)

Regards Varrattu
Old 05-12-2011, 12:23 AM
Approved Member

Thanks for that Druid.
This has brought up another inaccuracy, the rod should never be completely recessed, the tip should be visible.

I have a feeling that this feature is never going to be fixed considering all the bigger problems that need attention.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:52 AM
Approved Member

Yes convinced as well.

Strangely the BF110 is modelled correctly. There is no reason to believe that the mechanisation between the 109E and BF110 differ. An excerpt from some BF110 handling notes prepared by the RAF

The equivalent notes on the 109E mention the rods but not specifically the mechanisation.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:56 AM
Approved Member

As an aside. The adjustable switch for the BF109E-3 propeller needs also to be revised. After pressing up or down the lever should automatically return to neutral. Look here:

http://www.cockpitinstrumente.de/Flu...ung/Bilder.htm

and

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...ting_Proc.html

Happy landings

Varrattu
Old 05-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Approved Member

Yep Devs are aware of it.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrattu View Post
As an aside. The adjustable switch for the BF109E-3 propeller needs also to be revised.
I mention it in advance, that what I write, in case let anybody consider it as provocation. The complexity of the game is fascinating one however that it provides significance to details like this already.

So one more thing to PropPitch:

Here is one gallery, high resolution photos, first item (Fi 18502-2):
http://www.cockpitinstrumente.de/ins...r/schalter.htm

The lower position of the switch (where it is possible to hang it up) that "glide-mode". This is missing totally currently from the game (feather prop key doesnt work, and currently, non switchable with mouse either, because it works some other way. This would be important when the engine stops.

If we turned away from cooling flap to propeller pitch, I would say something new then. Junghans J-30 clock. I found three minor (?) things at this, which is bad according to me:

http://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/...4/m/5701098311
http://war-timers.surfino.info/FL_23886_Junghans.html

1. "A timepiece for pilots, it is fitted with the Junghans J30 Bz 30 hour movement with a 15 min. chronograph timer." The clock (in game) counts a 30 second now, not 15 minute.

2. The bezel ring non movable in game, in RL totally, in 360 degrees can be turned. To the measurement of time would be useful well.

3. Look at this picture from first topic, which i linked, if its correct (because of that questionable, because I did not find information somewhere else), the production year of the clock is bad. The v5 type from only 1942 was produced:

http://ihc185.infopop.cc/groupee_fil...92_v1_v5lo.jpg

S!

i7 7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB Ram 3GHz, MSI GTX 1070 8GB, 27' 1920x1080, W10/64, TrackIR 4Pro, G940
Cliffs of Dover Bugtracker site: share and vote issues here
Old 05-19-2011, 02:32 AM
Approved Member

Cool

Hello dev Team. I saw gladly, that the propeller switch you tried to correct it. Is the file not put very far? Somebody would exchange the increase and decrease directions? The translation did not succeed unfortunately:

http://www.cockpitinstrumente.de/ins.../Fl18502-2.gif

Größer - "greater" RPM!!* Reduce the angle of attack of the propeller (to the rotatory plane**), the wind resistance of a propeller decreases, the rev of an engine accelerates. The Prop pitch gauge move to 12:00.
Drehzahl - "rev/min"
Kleiner - "lesser" RPM: increase the AoA of propeller.
Segelstllg (Segelstellung) - "Glide-standing" increase to maximum AoA of Propeller**, because this causes the smallest wind resistance, if the engine stopped. This now totally wrong (on the switch).

* http://www.cockpitinstrumente.de/Flu...ung/Bilder.htm
**What they measure the position angle of the propeller against in the Russian technical literature? Strange, that it was counted turned over in the il-2 already. I wrote the position angle of the propeller compared to the rotatory plane.

ps. Did it not manage to convince it that water radiator flap indicator is bad? Ehh

i7 7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB Ram 3GHz, MSI GTX 1070 8GB, 27' 1920x1080, W10/64, TrackIR 4Pro, G940
Cliffs of Dover Bugtracker site: share and vote issues here

Last edited by VO101_Tom; 05-19-2011 at 02:39 AM.