Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Approved Member

ya win 7 is something else
Old 03-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHB68 View Post
Running Windows7 x64 Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate on three different rigs since day of release w/o any issue. My conclusion; Windows 7 is the best Microsoft OS since DOS 3.11.....

Give it try, you won't regret !
I love it. I came from Vista 64bit and holy shait, the difference is huge.

For anyone else that comes from Vista, get a new HDD or SSD for W7 and keep the old one hooked up. Dual OS FTW, you just choose which one you want to use at startup. I don't know about XP though but I assume it applies to XP as well.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123-Wulf-123 View Post
I have a copy of Win 7 just never loaded it as XP has been rock solid for me.

However is there really any advantage in loading a new copy of Windows 7 64 bit (for the game and an extra 4mb ram I'm thinking of getting...)

Any advice welcome.
Hi Wulf. Long time no see.

I did the switch to Win7 (64bit) ( bootcamp on the Mac Pro) and it is alright. had less issues with it than expected.
Just a note. If some setup (usually install ) program does not work / give you blue screen ( I had two btw when installing the TrackIR software ), make sure you right click on it and "Run as administrator"

The games etc all work flawlessly.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
The thing thats stopping me is all my programmes Photoshop/Lightroom etc etc will it mean having to re-install everything?

Going from XP to Win 7 64...
I would recommend a clean new install.

After all, if you run Adobe CS3 or newer, Photoshop will greatly benefit from an x64 system, as it supports that.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:

However is there really any advantage in loading a new copy of Windows 7 64 bit (for the game and an extra 4mb ram I'm thinking of getting...)

Any advice welcome.
Id definitly upgrade to windows 7 64bit. Only thing I would check though is if you have any special or specific hardware that you are using currently to make sure that they make windows 7 drivers and check to make sure those drivers are working from forums ect. There is still a few hardwares out there that either doesnt have no windows 7 drivers or the the windows 7 drivers dont work good at all.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:56 PM
Approved Member

I'd definately recommend it. You might spend a few days finding the bits and pieces they moved around from XP to Win 7 but overall it was a good switch for me from XP to Win 7 64 Bit.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Approved Member

Which W7 version would be best for us simers?

binky9
Old 03-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Approved Member

Moved to Win 7 64 Bit from XP Pro 32 and haven't really looked back. You will really need to have about 4 gigs of ram though to let it breath a bit. It has higher overhead but when you launch a game it does a great job of giving you all the resources.

I did a side by side comparison because I have another drive with Win 32 just using IL2. I get smoother game play with Win 7 than with XP. Also with 8 gigs of ram I have yet to have a game give me any studders or slowdowns except for the normal stuff.

Win 7 was ready for prime time from the start.

The only game that will give you headaches with this move is Falcon 4 both FreeFalcon and AF if and only if you use an Nvidia Card. ATI doesn't have any problems.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binky9 View Post
Which W7 version would be best for us simers?

binky9
Just regular Home version will be just fine, the other versions contain apps and features generally better suited for the business type environment.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:

Any advice welcome.
system specs please
EVGA 660SC (super clocked) 2GB Vram
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
64 GB SSD SATA II HD
WIN7 UL 64BIT