Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zauii View Post
Seems like a fine drm, and steam is excellent anyway ...
Steam is as excellent as your ISP is. Mine is extremely flaky atm, so I wouldn't want an online check each time I start up the sim.

They should do it like DCS:A-10 does, activate the product at first start, then only if major components of the computer are changed.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Seems like a fine drm, and steam is excellent anyway, but wait for the awesome oldfarts to whine:

"Daem no!, Now I can't activate 8 times on all my 10 computers at the same day, and they must have a secret agenda.. installing files on my comp `n xxxx like that" - Whiners
More like whining 3l33t H4xx0r script kiddies complaining they can't get it from pirate bay because nobody cracked the DRM yet!

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 03-19-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Tvrdi

Quote:
Seems like a fine drm, and steam is excellent anyway, but wait for the awesome oldfarts to whine:

"Daem no!, Now I can't activate 8 times on all my 10 computers at the same day, and they must have a secret agenda.. installing files on my comp `n xxxx like that" - Whiners
nothing to do with old farts as you called us....my young and polite friend...probably with steam you can say goodbye to hyperloby and you know what that means....

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 03-19-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintifaxl View Post
Steam is as excellent as your ISP is. Mine is extremely flaky atm, so I wouldn't want an online check each time I start up the sim.

They should do it like DCS:A-10 does, activate the product at first start, then only if major components of the computer are changed.
so use Steam in offline mode. If your ISP is that flaky you aren't going to be playing online anyway, right? What's more if you think that in "online" mode Steam will cut you out playing your game mid mission this is incorrect. It only verifies at initial launch (and only if you are in Steam Online mode).
Old 03-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvrdi View Post
probably with steam you can say goodbye to hyperloby and you know what that means....
Yep.......means you get something extremely similar with Steam.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchiyo View Post
so use Steam in offline mode. If your ISP is that flaky you aren't going to be playing online anyway, right? What's more if you think that in "online" mode Steam will cut you out playing your game mid mission this is incorrect. It only verifies at initial launch (and only if you are in Steam Online mode).
I don't want to switch Steam to offline mode, because I do play online games with Steam, too. But when my ISP decides to crap out during my gaming time, I want to fly offline single player campaigns or missions.

Last edited by tintifaxl; 03-07-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Tvrdi

Quote:
Yep.......means you get something extremely similar with Steam.
hah really? HP with all its simplicity and "easy to use/find room" vs st..t..t..eeaaaam....g...gg....gaaamm...eeerzzz

Last edited by Tvrdi; 03-07-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvrdi View Post
hah really? HP with its all simplicity and "easy to use/find room" vs st..t..t..eeaaaam....g...gg....gaaamm...eeerzzz
Not really sure what you mean there. Steam lobby: invite friends, see lists of servers, play game (not necessarily in that order). Use built in voice chat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintifaxl
I don't want to switch Steam to offline mode, because I do play online games with Steam, too. But when my ISP decides to crap out during my gaming time, I want to fly offline single player campaigns or missions.
If you lose network connection mid game Steam doesn't kick you out of the game. If you are on a MP server it will tell you that you've lost connection and drop you to the main menu. You would then just choose SP. If you quit out of the game you will have to go through the trouble of closing Steam, starting it back up, and when it says no network could be found you click the big button that says "Start Steam in Offline mode," play game.

Edit: I'm beginning to suspect a lot of the naysayers haven't used Steam much, or in about a half decade. It certainly had a lot of issues back about 5 or 6 years ago, but those issues have mostly been corrected.

Last edited by Kikuchiyo; 03-07-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
... If you quit out of the game you will have to go through the trouble of closing Steam, starting it back up, and when it says no network could be found you click the big button that says "Start Steam in Offline mode," play game.

Edit: I'm beginning to suspect a lot of the naysayers haven't used Steam much, or in about a half decade. It certainly had a lot of issues back about 5 or 6 years ago, but those issues have mostly been corrected.
When did they implement that? When I was playing TW:Napoleon I'm positive that I couldn't play without inet access. If this is working as you said, then of course I will rest my case, as that is totally acceptable.

Btw, I've been using Steam for many years now for my CS:S experience ...

Edit: But I do have a network available, albeit without internet, so maybe that's the reason for the behavior experienced by me?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintifaxl View Post
Edit: But I do have a network available, albeit without internet, so maybe that's the reason for the behavior experienced by me?
Yes it is referring to your ISP's network not your local LAN. I can see how that might have caused some confusion for you. Likely you should set Steam to offline mode if you have no internet connection. I can't say I know how NTW handles LAN games.