Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Approved Member

To be honest, i don't mind reuniting the community. What i totally object to however is reuniting it by force and implementing an overnight lack of choice.

If the day dawned that i'd lose all that extra content in the form of maps, aircraft and loadouts, i'd simply stop flying IL2 altogether and just wait for SoW.

Not all user made content is high quality, but i'm always in favor of having choices. I don't mind having some low quality stuff thrown in, after all it's free and i can choose not to use it.

Same goes for multiplayer, it's the business of the server admins to decide what kind of gameplay they want on their server and take appropriate action. For example, if a server crew wants to run semi-accurate scenarios that balance historical accuracy with equal chances of winning for both teams, it's their job to design the mission in a way to do that and also to make sure they get the planeset correct. However, this is no different to what was happening before the user made content arrived.

You can have perfectly unbalanced or inaccurate scenarios and planesets with vanilla IL2 as well. Maybe even more so in fact, since you don't have the extra aicraft to balance things out and you end up with a very annoying dilemma: do we ommit team A's aicraft X, that was historically present in the battle, to balance the lack of team B's aircraft Y ,that was also historically used and can match X evenly but is missing from the vanilla version, or do we just bite the bullet and fly the mission with plane X reigning supreme over the rest of the planeset?

It's just that choices are many more today and some people get swamped by them, understandably so i might say. The solution to that however is not to take away features that in one form or another are enjoyed by half the community.

I'd be willing to bet that if the game was locked, hyperlobby would see a marked and very steep decline in the amount of people flying IL2. The community would not be reunited, it would simply shrink to half its size and the foundations set for some pretty bad blood to run, which is not very clever to do a few months before the release of the successor series.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
To be honest, i don't mind reuniting the community. What i totally object to however is reuniting it by force and implementing an overnight lack of choice.

If the day dawned that i'd lose all that extra content in the form of maps, aircraft and loadouts, i'd simply stop flying IL2 altogether and just wait for SoW
I wouldn't download the 4.10 patch, and just keep playing 4.09 modded. It would be a shame to miss out on the 4.10 content, there are some features and aircraft I'm really looking forward to, but at the end of the day, its not enough that I would choose it over all the mods out there.

Anyway, I doubt DT would want to do that. There is currently a healthy relationship between modders and DT, which has seen a number of projects start life as mods and become part of the official patches, so why ruin a good thing.

Last edited by David603; 11-20-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Approved Member

This discussion is rehashed every so often, so let's just repeat some facts which never seem to sink in.

1) Authors and/or distributors of the Il2 never authorized modding. According to the EULA, it is actually forbidden.
2) Oleg Maddox expressed his dissatisfaction that the protection was broken on several occasions.
3) Lack of legal action does not imply approval of mods.

Last edited by MicroWave; 11-20-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG26_Alpha View Post
Which ones what ?
UP vs HSFX
Old 11-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Approved Member

There is no more division in the online community that there ever was (IMO). Everyone always had preferences as to what kind of server they wanted to play on, and that has not changed. The only ones who are excluded are the ones who see a cheater behind every cloud, and quite frankly I see no way for Daidalos to fix that.

I'll grant that absolute surety for competitive purposes is gone, but I reiterate, we'll probably never get that back with IL2. Why don't we just kick back and have some fun?

If I sound harsh in this post, I'm truly sorry, but as I've said 100 times before, I don't give a crap if anyone else is cheating as I don't have any money on the outcome of a given fight and I know I'm not cheating.

If some twit needs to cheat to think he has a bigger penis than I do, then that's his problem, as I know the truth.

Last edited by BadAim; 11-20-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Approved Member

I would like the community to be united, but I don't think very many people will be willing to give up all the additional content the M's bring.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:32 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David603 View Post
I wouldn't download the 4.10 patch, and just keep playing 4.09 modded. It would be a shame to miss out on the 4.10 content, there are some features and aircraft I'm really looking forward to, but at the end of the day, its not enough that I would choose it over all the mods out there.

Anyway, I doubt DT would want to do that. There is currently a healthy relationship between modders and DT, which has seen a number of projects start life as mods and become part of the official patches, so why ruin a good thing.
+1
Old 11-21-2010, 02:35 AM
Approved Member

After 4 or 5 years online in the early years of the sim, I have never flown online even ONCE since the hacking and mods, not even on the un-modded vanilla servers as it changed the type of person that played online and the nature of the online game.

2 points to make.

- locking the code with 4.10 will not get players like me back online

- the current mod players with their hotrod spitfires, bar-less fw190's and proton torpedo equipped 0.50 cal (the sort that kills tigers) are never going to give up the mods to play a vanilla 4.10. Those players would just stick to 4.09 modded.

Overall its very much "closing the stable door after the horse has bolted" it would never work and if anything would be detrimental.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:22 AM
Approved Member

It's clear to me that the great "Uniter" will be Storm of War itself.

Without taking anything away from Team Daidalos, and the incredible work completed on 4.10 - I think the "community software split" will only start to be resolved at the relase of SOW.

4.10 will certainly bring folks back to the official product - but how far,and for how long, is not at all clear to me. Things like maps, 6 DOF, or generally what groups (online wars for example) find to be "precious" will drive the population shift.

When SOW is released, the most critical thing it seems to me is:

Will a Core2Duo user with a DX9 video card be able to play along with more capable systems online, or experience the majority of single player depth that those with newer systems will enjoy? I have no expectation or opinion in the least with respect to this attribute of SOW, other than I believe Core2Duo or less compatibility in MP is a very, very tall order. The CPU cycles required for complex atmospheric environments, more detailed FM and the aircraft interaction with the more complex environment - are not insignificant to the hardware, no matter what people may wish - or how brilliant the SOW team is. Add higher fidelity DM and the situation becomes only more challenging for the developer. Oleg and his team pull of miracles all the time - but this - I just don't know.

For MP, you can't have lower FM/environments on some systems and more challenging FM/environments on others. SP maybe, but not MP. The nature of the netcode for MP, is of vital significance to this feature - how much bandwidth will the new higher fidelity features use up? More bandwidth, more money especially in the U.S.A. and particularly with respect to server requirements. Oleg's team has had the best netcode by far in a combat flight sim, but again - who knows.

If owners of more modest systems could, however particpate fully - the nature of all this will be moot and it will be SOW which will quickly capture the users.

Lastly, at some critical point in the future (a complete unknown, IMHO) - one would rather see the genious of Team Daidlos - devoted to SOW rather than Il2.

Who knows the timeline? Only God and perhaps Oleg.

S!

Gunny

Last edited by TUSA/TX-Gunslinger; 11-21-2010 at 04:10 AM. Reason: improved coherence
Old 11-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroWave View Post
This discussion is rehashed every so often, so let's just repeat some facts which never seem to sink in.

1) Authors and/or distributors of the Il2 never authorized modding. According to the EULA, it is actually forbidden.
2) Oleg Maddox expressed his dissatisfaction that the protection was broken on several occasions.
3) Lack of legal action does not imply approval of mods.
And after this statement I really hope that you can testify that none of the TD members/contributors have ever been involved in any kind of modding of IL2, which as you say is illegal?

C'mon, the mods exist - and the thing that splits the community is the fact that we are not allowed to point out that the emperor has no clothes...
Closed Thread