Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:50 AM
Approved Member

Maddox Games doesn't work like other software companies. Their style is kinda idiosynchratic and looks more like "work on a puzzle group style" than normal software developing. They're only bringing the pieces together very late in the process so that there won't be any flashy in-game vids for quite some time.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Approved Member

I think it was rumored that the release would happen before October 2010.
If this still is the case remaind to be seen, but it can't be far away now.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csThor View Post
Maddox Games doesn't work like other software companies.
Thank god.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virre89 View Post
Somewhere here in forum he stated something about "before end of summer 2010". That's 20th of september then.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virre89 View Post
IIRC it was stated that by October 2010 many, many people would be playing SoW already. I guess we waited so long, 6 or 8 months won't make the difference.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Approved Member

It seems to me like the game is pretty much up and running, and they are finetuning all the features.
But then again; there are no dedicated site, no publisher, no advertizing. One should think that these activities should be present by now in order to spread the word among a wider audience than the frustrated/happy (choose what fits) fellows that lurk around this board. Oleg probably needs a huge sale of copies to fund 5-6 years of development.

I don't remember how this was done when IL-2 was released, I for myself saw an ad in Flypast magazine that my father had bought. If it had not been for that one, I would probably never have started playing IL-2 at all, because I've never seen any advertisement for it elsewhere, and none of my friends are playing flightsims.

But with the level of detail Oleg obviously is putting into this game, I'm starting to worry for a release within christmas 2010.

Skarphol

Last edited by Skarphol; 03-12-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Approved Member

I'd rather wait and have a complete game out of the box, than a bug-riddled frustrating experience that needs major patches, overhauls and community mods to function well, just because there is no money and the investor/publisher holds the developer team by the balls and screams "get it out of the door now".

Look at some recent examples, Silent Hunter 5 is one (actually SH3, SH4 and SH5 are all similar in the regard), Rise of Flight is another. Both had some very good things going for them, but RoF is just now starting to be what it should have been on release and SH5 still has a long way to go. That's not the developer's fault as much as it is the publisher's fault.

In the end, if the initial release product is lacking then the release date doesn't mean that much. I can play a half-finished game or a buggy game and wait 6 months before it's patched to an acceptable state, or i can wait those 6 months and get a game that functions as it should and has the required content right out of the box. In any case i'll have to wait 6 months to play the complete game, the only thing that changes is that with an early release i can whine on the forums about it being incomplete

That doesn't mean people are not entitled to their opinion, as some prefer the early release/gradual updating route just to get their hands on the game faster and i'm not saying everyone who doesn't agree with me is a whiner. To the contrary in fact, they have as much right to say what's good and agreeable for them. Similarly, this is my personal opinion because i find the wait for a complete game less agonizing than the wait for updating an incomplete one. This ties in with certain publisher's habits, who force the devs to rush the game out the door and then refuse to support them to completion. For example, in the Silent Hunter series (again), i think it was SH4, the community had to really pressure the publisher before they agreed to provide the final patch. It's harder to convince someone to fund the development of game patches when they already have your money, than it is to request features during the develoment when they still have to take your requests into account because they haven't got your money yet.

By that i don't mean Oleg's team, i mean the publishers, and if the delay is any indication of lack of publisher pressure on the dev team then we can maybe have hope that SoW will be published by 1C directly or various smaller/independent publishers. Just my 2c as usual
Old 03-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Approved Member

+1 (on the whole page)
Old 03-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post

That doesn't mean people are not entitled to their opinion, as some prefer the early release/gradual updating route just to get their hands on the game faster and i'm not saying everyone who doesn't agree with me is a whiner
I'm one of those who's happy to test an open beta, and I'd rather have a dodgy copy now than wait 6... 8... 12... etc months for the 'perfect' one, which will usually require a patch or two anyway.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Approved Member

Strange thread, they are showing such excellent progress.