Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Approved Member

Tree, original il-2 pics are in game shots. However, if a patch was released to make the terrain WoP standard that terrain would begin to look rather crap. These are in game shots, as Oleg and Luthier have stated, which is showing an in-game test map. Nothing is final, but the shots are taken in game. You are a very stubborn person from what I have seen, so I doubt you'll believe me here.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:59 PM
Approved Member

The game already appears to be ten fold what IL-2 is today. I have been very amazed at what was shown and was told about in the recent month's up-dates. If it was released today, who here would be able to put it aside. Bring it to market by the anniversity and I will be a happy camper...many of those pic's are grabs from in-game, and they look great to me.

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 01-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Approved Member

For newcomers who haven't seen them yet, just a couple of - very old - videos, to appreciate the detail of cockpits:

Bye,
Ins
Old 01-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Approved Member

I wish you hadn't shared your thoughts, MP. You are an active member for a long time, with some special insights, relations and experiences. What you wrote basically disregards all of that.

1. The comparison of CoD (MW) and SoW is the best example for that complete misconception. The engine of CoD is old - I mean, really OLD. It's basically just the minimized engine of the old CoD-series stripped from most options to be ported to a console, than porting it back to PC upgrading the graphics.
Honestly, MP, if that is what you want, go for Birds of Prey - you'll love it. (And that's no rant)

2. The "certain stage of readiness"-thing is just the "I know better than Oleg"-kind of rant a lot of people posted here with their 2nd and 3rd accounts. You have no idea what that "certain stage" was and besides that, obviously have forgotten, that it was DeadalusTeam, which finalized the patch, not Oleg's team as the announcement indicated!!!

3. You already have ingame videos available. Check recent posts. Now, that is of course not what you want to see - you want to see the full detailed and working graphics and physics engine, with all whistles and bells. So do we. And so does Oleg. Fact is though, this world does not work care about things we want, but about things that are. And a thing that is being worked on cannot be shown in the finalized version - our timeline forbids that.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:55 PM
Tree_UK

For single player, I would love to see my aircraft shows signs of the last fight I was in, for example if I took a few MG hits I would love to see signs that my spitty had been patched up ready for the next sortie, and the weathering being more pronounced as the bird gets older, so you that you kind of become attached to your aircraft. It would also be good if your kills got painted on to your bird aswell. I dont think this would be to difficult to include and again maybe it already is.

Last edited by Tree_UK; 01-17-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:53 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuerfalke View Post
I wish you hadn't shared your thoughts, MP. You are an active member for a long time, with some special insights, relations and experiences. What you wrote basically disregards all of that.

As usual you disregard opinions when they don't suit you ..... more and more 'Veteran IL2 Pilots' are saying the same thing ....

..... but in your world telling the truth = disloyal

That dog won't hunt anymore .....

Old 01-18-2010, 01:38 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
Oh gawd, In game means all things will appear 'in game', they may add more stuff to it, 'in game' does not mean 'with a place holder background'.
Engine rendered in the engine and indicated as such (and I believe the list above are all marked by Oleg as being rendered by the engine) are "in-game". Not all features are necessary turned on and final quality will probably be far different.

The difference between what we're seeing and the standard fare of video game makers showing off their work is that Oleg isn't afraid (although maybe he should be) to show off early work in progress where all of the hard work has already been done but not everything is close to final quality. We know that all shots so far have been done in the basic renderer as well ... Oleg says that is what the DX9 version is like but I suspect that is DX9 with features turned off.

Some shots are rendered in-engine but with a placeholder background. Sort of like the object viewer in IL-2. That can also be considered in-game or in-engine...

We could all split hairs on this mind you
Old 01-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Tree_UK

good reply Icefire , I will take that onboard.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Approved Member

I just think SOW is further delayed that's why you don't see much ingame graphics.

I remember Oleg said years ago that it will be OpenGL then last year turned out that is DirectX... so the entire graphic engine was redone. Many objects from the first "shots" of SoW where lower quality than some mods today... now we see models of bugs climbing grass... or something.

I think SoW is still greatly WiP and is my personal assumption that the graphic engine is not completely shown do to the obvious fact that is not done yet.

Sure you have self shadowing and few other touches but those can be made in any graphic engine you buy at second hand on the market... I mean is not a complete graphic engine, just bits of hardware capabilities. As a side note... that thing with no AA due to HDR is not correct anymore for new graphic cards from nVidia... I think ATI didn't had the issue when they introduced HDR.

So... simply... bluntly put. There are no ingame screenshots and movies cause there is no game yet. There are objects and mechanical stuff they can't show in pics (like wind and AI) but that's all.

I think I just hope the project will not be dumped some day due to economical happiness from the world...
Old 01-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Approved Member

careful Zaelu...people have been lynched here for speaking like that

(spot on post BTW)