Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War > Men of War: Assault Squad

Men of War: Assault Squad Sequel to the critically acclaimed real-time tactics game Men of War

Old 03-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammermon
This idea of a tank sitting rock solid taking hit after hit imprevious to penetration is a gamers concept based on penetration THEORY.
Every tank had vulnerable spots; turrent rings, vision slits, traps under gun boss, flat surfaces... even a Jagdtiger was toast once it's tracks were damaged...
There was an episode of Tank Overhaul where they had a Ferdinand knocked out frontally by a 75 Sherman. The round had jammed in behind the front wheel and the crew had bailed out. Fairly sure that the first Tiger kill by the Western Allies was by a Churchill. Fired a round which stuck under the Tiger's turret jamming it completely

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightFandragon View Post
Ive always wondered what are the effects of a tank shell once they penetrate armor? Not modern day ones but WWII shells like the 75mm of the Sherman. It is so low velocity that it couldnt penetrate the front of anything but can penetrate the side, what does it do to "knockout" the tank. Ive always imagined a Sherman round penetrating the side of a panther tank and since the shell is Low Velocity it goes through the armor but loses all velocity and is left resting on the floor of the Panther.....while the Crew is just laughing and killing the Sherrmy. Anywho, Does the explosion of the shell light up ammo or something? To me it seems an AP round going into a tank just makes a hole, its like why get out? The tank still works.....If it doesnt light up or explode why bail out of it? Ive always wondered why crews bail from a mostly perfectly fine tank.
A Sherman 75 could kill a Panther from the side at about a mile or more.

The shell breaking through the armour would be red hot, if it hits the fuel tank or ammunition the tank would explode. Also bits of the armour would break off and bounce around inside the tank (spalling).

The UK developed a round which it turned out was very good at causing spalling, and could kill without actually puncturing the armour. The HESH (High Explosive, Squash Head) was designed to break concrete in fortifications. The explosive tip of the shell would squash flat on impact so that when it went off a pressure wave passed through the material and blasted off the other side. On a tank this could kill crew or ignite fuel and ammunition. Still use them in the Challenger (HEAT doesn't work very well from a rifled gun)
Old 03-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Approved Member

So a Round jamming in the turret ring.........how does that put the tank totally out of action? Couldnt the crew then use the tank like a Stug? Just couldnt turn the turret....Im sure the round gets jammed in well enough only a visit to the shop would fix...which the Germans im sure were short on haha.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightFandragon View Post
So a Round jamming in the turret ring.........how does that put the tank totally out of action? Couldnt the crew then use the tank like a Stug? Just couldnt turn the turret....Im sure the round gets jammed in well enough only a visit to the shop would fix...which the Germans im sure were short on haha.
The StuG's gun can move around.

Tiger Turret linked because it is too big

The shot hit the underside of the gun, ricocheted and jammed in the turret ring. The Tiger then couldn't turn its turret. It would be impossible to fight in a tank which can't move its turret. How could you aim at a target a thousand yards away when the driver can't see where the gun it pointing? Why am I explaining this?

Last edited by rossw; 03-04-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

Default Its simple in my opinion...

Guys maybe i have not so many ww2 knowledge as i can see, but i think if you want to play this game there should be SOME balance...i know, that post war tanks are not good, but they are fitting this game nice (for ex. it was almost impossible to see japs in vmow and now they are almost in every 2nd. game i see...thx to new balance...and they tanks are nice if you forget that they are only prototypes...same with pershing, black prince etc...) So if you can balance game this way, its the only option...but i think if you can balance this game realisticaly, there are faaar another ways that only armour - allies should get dive bombers or rocket planes (cuz game is set in late war...), commonwealt should get hurricane with rockets too, germans stuka without rockets (cuz germs planes got rockets lately and in less numbers) but with 20mm cannons, russians IL 2 sturmvik with rockets too and japs should get their 105mm at gun, maybe 105mm AA gun or 240mm howitzer (used before ww2 and during) or another strong arty (and they had plenty)...for example they dont need heavy tanks cuz they have HA-TO wich can be used by good players veeeeery good...(once i took out 5 tanks - 1 KT, 2VT and 2 panzers 4 before it got killed) ... and that planes should be for ex. for 500 MP or more and used only 1 or 2 times or be as hero units...something like that...and it should be easy to put them in MOD or patch, cuz they are already in skirmish or vmow - nothing difficult...and its more real to call some plane instead of chi-ri or black prince...any suggestions ??? (sorry for my english, still learning...)
Old 07-30-2011, 04:06 AM
Registered Member

sure... you try just with firefly and churchill, is really hard for many people (not me, i use a lot of field guns when i play UK, 32pdr!!!) anyways is to make the game more balance
Old 08-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aop View Post
I though Men of War was supposed to be somewhat realistic and historically correct but then I noticed the British have both Black Prince and Centurion and neither of them served on European continent or saw any action during World War 2.

They already have 17pdr armed Achilles, Sherman Firefly and Comet. Wasn't that enough? Did they really need a post-war tank and a prototype that never served?

What next? Give yeankees M48 Patton?
The battles you are playing are not a part of world war 2. Every skirmish game, Every multiplayer game, never actually happened historically.

I find this an outrage. When I join a multiplayer game I want everything to be 100% historically accurate. Joe biship from my 2nd squad didn't throw a hand grenade in a 4v4. What a load of old toss! Those jerry rogers didn't even have a panzer IV behind that house in real life!

-

Point is. What happens in the game is not an event in world war 2. It's not a battle that took place and even if it was. You are here to change what happened with your play style.

-

As a side note though. You can have a realistic rendition of Starcraft. There are different levels of realism too. Units with HP is not realistic which is what starcraft 2 uses. But imagine if all the physics worked like Men of War? Zerglings actually ripping marines arms off or climbing on top of tanks trying to destroy the hull. Carriers crashing to the ground into roaches smearing debris all over a building. This is more realistic even though the concept of the entire thing is completely surreal! Those tanks did exist though. Unlike anything in Starcraft. The units fit well in the game. Which is more realistic than inventing make belief tanks up and throwing them in the game. Which would also be fine as long as the tanks fit the era. The balance of the game is important.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

MOWAS's IMBA problem has nothing to do with historic accuracy, it is the fact when the cheaper Pak-40 outperform the more expensive flak-38, and the fact that USSR has nothing in early-medium game to stand up against 2nd tier AT-guns (pak-40 etc), and a few 2nd tier AT-gun complete dominant the battlefield and slaughter any armour that comes in sight. THAT is the problem, I want to play men of war, not World of AT guns.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Approved Member

Well the fact your getting owned by AT guns means this game is historically accurate. AT guns were more frequent then tanks and were plenty more then adequete to smoke the visor right of any tank it encounters. As for imbalances, this game does a pretty good job of keeping it balanced enough and yet giving the nations their strengths. The fact the Russians have crap medium tanks is right, truth be told the T34 wasnt all that great of a tank. It is way over hyped as being the best tank in the world and crap...it really isnt all that. It has 45mm of sloped armor and that isnt going to stop crap. The 34 was only really good in the few months following its arrival, much past that it was junk. When the Germans started brining in those beloved Pak40s and 75mm Pzr IVs and stuff the T34 showed its true colors. Numbers alone is all that makes the US and Russian medium tanks anything at all.....

Also, if your having trouble with AT guns you might want to cut back on Tanks and all your armor and buy a few infantry squads. This game is NOT like COH where it is a race to the biggest and most tanks, it is a combined arms game that requires infantry to spot for your otherwise blind tanks and then the tanks sit in the BACK and blast stuff...If people could get past the thought that tanks are gods and invulnerable they would have less heartache in this game. Just gotta play it right. Infantry, set up vision zones and stuff, sit tanks and support units in the back and kinda wait. This game seems to go to the more patient ones as rushing in just gets you murdered.

Last edited by KnightFandragon; 08-21-2011 at 02:55 PM.