Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Approved Member

And to the objection (which will come, be sure) "it's illegal in my country to shot at cows and people in the street", I simply answer : "let's make the civilian and animal crowds not destructable." Case closed.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Tree_UK

So what are the things that we think might not make the initial release, I dont think OM or luthier have given a definite list..

Dynamic weather?
Player manned AA guns?
New Clouds?
Cinematic experience?
Traffic?
Ground Personel?
Old 01-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Approved Member

wb tree, how was your vacation?
Old 01-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Tree_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by albx View Post
wb tree, how was your vacation?
lol, it was good mate, im kinda getting used to it now. I spent most of my time corresponding with Nelson Mandela he also has an history of asking the 'wrong' questions.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Approved Member

It's good to see you back. Societies have a habit of destroying their oracles and I'm glad you weren't sacrificed to the Sim-Gods.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDNT View Post
"... potential for A LOT of individual objects. "

Not obligatory.

I remember when flying over some middle-sized villages over the Swiss middle plain that one could see some people here and here, but of course not massive crowds, like in a rock concert.
It will vary - different over London. Numbers matter - in il2 there is option to turn off gun crews to reduce load.

Quote:
"...I did a low pass in my 109 and they didn't even move or look up..."

This is not an valid argument, at least not in 2011.
A low-poly sprite (and when I say "low-poly, it's low-poly, enough to be realistic at one hundred meters away) could have some basic scripted movements.

I remember how cool I found for instance the trees moving in the wind in Shadow Warrior and it was in 1998 on a Pentium 800
They'd need to have a set of reactions for different situations - low fly-past, getting shot at, bombs going off nearby. Either is likely to get complex or be unrealistic. And people will fly over them lower than 100m.

Also, making them not destructible is a poor decision I think.

Quote:
"basic' doesn't cut it with the whingers."

Again, this is not a valid argument.

If it's possible to model in the game a military truck exact to its most little pieces (1), it's also possible to model some people and animals at the necessary resolutions for being "natural", when seen at some hundred meters away.

(1) what it's quite useless by the way in an aviation sim, as these objects are not be seen from very near from an aircraft.
My point was that if they do a set of objects that are low-detail and don't react realistically, people will complain. But there has been a screen shot of cows, so who knows maybe we'll get some people too but I think for a long time we won't see realistic numbers of civilians.

Last edited by kendo65; 01-23-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
So what are the things that we think might not make the initial release, I dont think OM or luthier have given a definite list..

Dynamic weather?
Player manned AA guns?
New Clouds?
Cinematic experience?
Traffic?
Ground Personel?
My personal guess would be that we might see crews for the AA guns and some ground personnel. There was an option I think for dynamic weather in the fmb screens, but haven't heard any details since on it - hoping it makes it.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Approved Member

"t will vary - different over London. Numbers matter - in il2 there is option to turn off gun crews to reduce load."

Simple.
In the game setup, an option "civilian crowd on, civilian crowd off".
By the way, as already said, no need of über-huge crowds like during a techno parad !

"Also, making them not destructible is a poor decision I think."

Yes, but we live in a stupid PC world where there are probably some authorities which will find that offensive.
By the way, as I don't understand the mentality of shooting civilians for pleasure even in a real war, it's not a problem for me not being able to shot at civilians in a sim.

"And people will fly over them lower than 100m. "

Not a valid argument.
If you fly some meters away from a cow, you may for sure not fly very long more.
On the contrary, a cow looking like a reasonable cow, seen just one or two seconds during a low pass, doesn't need to be modelled with millions of polygons.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Approved Member

And remember, guys, in the very first version of IL-2, all these nice guys running from the trucks when attacked.

It was ten years ago.
Today, in 2011, I'm not even asking for more.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post

Dynamic weather?
Player manned AA guns?
New Clouds?
Cinematic experience?
Traffic?
Ground Personel?
1- Might be but i don't think so.

2- I don't think so.

3- I agree.

4- Thats very subjective. People might think its cinematic and others not.

5- Agree, its seccondary on importance and usually very fps demanding.

6- Agree.

7- Probably also fx effects, like better smoke, explossions, fire, water splashes, and so on. Just like with IL-2 that they were adding or improving this effect as the years passed.

And probably some other features that we will not notice until the sim progresses and they are added. But its all pure speculation that does not give anything constructive.