Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Old 10-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Approved Member

Stormcrow the US Navy document I was referring to was in another thread, and it treated about fighters. I will look for it later for you.

Cheers!
Old 10-26-2011, 11:04 AM
Approved Member

I've found a gem!
"Visual Search in Air Combat" (1990)
http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc...f&AD=ADA241347

Here a really interesting graph (page 6 of the original document):

Of course there are factors like camos, sunlight, haze ect...

I'm going to do some calculations to get the positions of ww2 fighters on that curve.

I would only remember to you that it's not a personal problem: all this discussion its to greatly improve the sim.

A whole generation of pilots learned to treasure the Spitfire for its delightful response to aerobatic manoeuvres and its handiness as a dogfighter. Iit is odd that they had continued to esteem these qualities over those of other fighters in spite of the fact that they were of only secondary importance tactically.Thus it is doubly ironic that the Spitfire’s reputation would habitually be established by reference to archaic, non-tactical criteria.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:27 AM
41Sqn_Stormcrow

Great find, Manu.

This is quite in accordance to what I guessed would be a reasonable limit for fighter visibility (when seen from the side) that is about 7-10 km. From front one would see it from perhaps 3-4 km. From belly perhaps from 15km. From top view over land my guess is that the visibility will be worse.

Interesting is also that apparently aircraft type plays a big role in visibility ranges and tendencies can get reversed depending on view angle.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:57 AM
Approved Member

The main problem is game's FoV.

If you look in game with the 30 FoV, you'll see the aircraft at the correct real-life size. Problem is, we're using the 90 FoV most of the time.

to solve this, they need to scale the models to appear in 90 FoV as they appear in 30 FoV.

Also, aircraft models should be rendered at longer distances than they are atm in game, instead having them replaced by dots.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Approved Member

S!

This..the FOV. I fly most if not all of the time with wider view so I can easily glance at the gauges. Maybe the FOV should change only your distance withing cockpit, not the actual zoom and then tune the LOD/whatever accordingly. Frankly I have never understood the need to give us a "zoom" when IRL you can not do that..but this is propably one of the gaming vs realism compromises.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Approved Member

Here is the Manu's post with US Navy study I was referring to (Naval Air Development Center, Guide to Aircraft In-Flight Camouflage, 1969), : it speaks about fighters, not airliners, and 10-15 miles under "moderate visibility", or 30-40 miles under "high visibility". This matches better with the day to day experience.

Cheers!

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpos...1&postcount=43
Old 10-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonys View Post
The main problem is game's FoV.

If you look in game with the 30 FoV, you'll see the aircraft at the correct real-life size. Problem is, we're using the 90 FoV most of the time.

to solve this, they need to scale the models to appear in 90 FoV as they appear in 30 FoV.

Also, aircraft models should be rendered at longer distances than they are atm in game, instead having them replaced by dots.
This could be a good solution and I was talking of it with my teammate about this last night. As you see in the opening post a 109 at 3km would appear 8 times bigger at 39 FOV (50mm, human eye) than at 70 FOV (normal view in IL2, the 90 FOV is the wide one).

It would be nice to use degrees as ratio unit, but I don't have the possibility if not making real photos...

There will be problems with the real speed perception but it should be an improvement nonetheless.

A whole generation of pilots learned to treasure the Spitfire for its delightful response to aerobatic manoeuvres and its handiness as a dogfighter. Iit is odd that they had continued to esteem these qualities over those of other fighters in spite of the fact that they were of only secondary importance tactically.Thus it is doubly ironic that the Spitfire’s reputation would habitually be established by reference to archaic, non-tactical criteria.

Last edited by 6S.Manu; 10-26-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:24 PM
41Sqn_Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insuber View Post
Here is the Manu's post with US Navy study I was referring to (Naval Air Development Center, Guide to Aircraft In-Flight Camouflage, 1969), : it speaks about fighters, not airliners, and 10-15 miles under "moderate visibility", or 30-40 miles under "high visibility". This matches better with the day to day experience.

Cheers!

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpos...1&postcount=43
ty. Will read it soon.

I just hope we do not go back to old IL2 times with its ridicuously high visibility.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Approved Member

Stormcrow u should try out the ATAG server bliss recently changed the settings and it's much better than what it was like before

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Approved Member

talking about the FOV actually to have a feeling like the real one we should have a grid of monitors with the single monitor FOV calculated on a certain standard distance from the head.
Probably the Fov could be less than 40.
Modifying the lod to see like the reality would be impossible tecnically i suppose and would mess everything and probably let us feel to be in a platform game for the perspective aberration.

My thoughts changed alot studying with manu the difference between the real sight and the monitor one.
I have to say that despite my own dislike about icons we should think more about that.

First of all the black dot is an icon, because on the monitor without the help of the "artificial dot" the contact would have been invisible also for reasonable distancies. Talking in the wing someone suggested that if the dots are appearing too close a solution could be to give for further distancies a dot with a more gray colour, to let it difficult to see, but not impossible.
That could be a solution, but for greater ( in degrees) contact like a ship from far or an airplane from closer we should think about something different. The label "ship" with the distance is horrible and helping too much, but everyone understand the difference between a ship and an airplane also at 20 km away and between a spitfire and a wellington from 4 km. something like one dot for fighter, two for bomber and five for ship could be something.

I know that everything added ruins a bit the feeling to be in a simulator, like the speed bar in Il2, but we need to think also that some instruments like the compass are really more difficult to understand on the simulator than in the real life, and anyone that flew once in a real little aircraft can say that without problems.
We (as we can be help, but really the developers) should think more about a simulation than a feeling, because we need to think on the precedence list:
physic simulation, manouver simulation, navigation simulation, feelings etc etc etc.
At the end it is the same that everyone does comparing different simulators like xplane and flight simulator each other.
Let me give another example: i don't think that in the reality there were alot of people able to physically sustain a long dogfight at high G like all we do in il2.. so now, should we calculate that or not? Should we do real aircraft limits and let us feel all like superheroes hartmanns (like it is) or should we avoid with some limits (the dark sight is not enough, cause don't simulate the physical stress and the muscle fatigue also in pulling the bar)?
Obviously i don't have the perfect answer, but would be interesting, retourning to the sight argument, to fing a compromise that would let us to "see like in the real world" but without hurting nobody's feeling..

Last edited by 6S.Tamat; 10-26-2011 at 03:18 PM.