Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 05-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Approved Member

I'm not sure Bearcat but my guess is that yes, it is something that would be possible with at least some degree of programming. The actions wouldn't... at least to a non-programmer like myself (with a minimum of high school OOP as my basis) be all that different than a turret station on an aircraft. For dogfight servers it could be as simple as selecting a flak battery from the plane list and using the spawn in stationary plane feature. Or a modification of that.

It's a bunch of work so it might not be my first choice personally... but I think its a neat idea, it has merit, and aside from effort involved I don't think there is any reason not to do this. If the spawnable flak isn't someones idea of fun then it doesn't have to be enabled/included.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Approved Member

Landing in close proximity to flak would make it more of a challenge to use, and make it more rewarding, but it's not "more realistic" to do that. Pilots generally wouldn't be manning the guns in any situation, so saying something is more or less realistic is sort of moot point in this regard.

Think of it as any regular res pawn that you do in the game. You landed, and you re-spawned instantly in a fresh plane. All this is doing is giving you another option on where to re-spawn.

Highly unrealistic. But practical, and more importantly, fun.

One of my favorite things to do in Silent Hunter was load up a mission with airplanes all around and try to shoot them down with the 20mm AA before they sank the sub. In Il-2 that would be really interesting with the full-fledged DM and FM, or against human players.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:07 AM
Approved Member

Bearcat's idea is funny, and probably under certain conditions quite enjoyable.
And I agree with the comment about people getting too much involved with dogfight servers for evaluating in game developement.
On some campaigns, the possibility to get into an AAA, is an excelent alternative to wait 15 minutes to respawn. Still it doesn't need to be necesarilly on home bases.

Also on some campaigns, driving at least one tank of the four, or having a land scout represented by a jeep or something to orient air attack is something that at some times looked as a cool thing to have.

Last edited by RPS69; 05-21-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:40 AM
Approved Member

I don't think we should get too far off the beaten trail necessarily (if resources were vast/infinite I'd think differently ) but again I think the idea is at least a fun idea worth entertaining. But if it were to be done it should be done with some degree of realism. Proper sighting systems, any reloading that might be required, etc.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
I don't think we should get too far off the beaten trail necessarily (if resources were vast/infinite I'd think differently ) but again I think the idea is at least a fun idea worth entertaining. But if it were to be done it should be done with some degree of realism. Proper sighting systems, any reloading that might be required, etc.
Agreed on that, but with some agreement on sandbags bulletproof capacity from scratch! I mean, whatever the implementation, it is as is!
Old 06-07-2013, 05:36 AM
Approved Member

There was a hyper lobby player that would Host a gunners target practice Mission
Not sure what plane he used But I hear it was a Gas to play
I think a Manable ground to Air Gunners position would be excellent for training if for Nothing else
Sometimes I need a brake from flying and Dont want to close out the game I could Man a gun and Just cover beat up planes as they Land
I think that could be a lot of fun
Old 06-07-2013, 07:29 AM
Approved Member

I personally think that man-able AAA's are griefing goldmine.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Approved Member

I see three issues there:
Range - even FlaK as small as 20mm has a max range of 2km, given no further visual aids that is a very small target to fire at. Could maybe be fixed with a scope sight like that of the SBD.
Balancing - make it too easy to get kills (like human bomber gunners) and there will be an outcry of those who prefer to fly. Make it to difficult to get kills and noone will bother to man the guns.
Staticness - you are a sitting duck, maybe a duck with a big gun, but if there are two enemys willing to cooperate you will be toast. And the enemy can avoid you just by not flying near you and you cannot do anything about that - except wait, wait, and wait....
Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorfailure View Post
I see three issues there:
Range - even FlaK as small as 20mm has a max range of 2km, given no further visual aids that is a very small target to fire at. Could maybe be fixed with a scope sight like that of the SBD.
Balancing - make it too easy to get kills (like human bomber gunners) and there will be an outcry of those who prefer to fly. Make it to difficult to get kills and noone will bother to man the guns.
Staticness - you are a sitting duck, maybe a duck with a big gun, but if there are two enemys willing to cooperate you will be toast. And the enemy can avoid you just by not flying near you and you cannot do anything about that - except wait, wait, and wait....
Yes, and no. You may just consider all of them as a single aircraft position, and just change positions like you do in a bomber...
Or if you are playing a game where you have sensitive positions, where your opponents will be forced to stryke, then you are allways in the right place.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:42 PM
Approved Member

It would be a fun extra content!