Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 04-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Approved Member

I'm glad you see my dilemma. I will agree that CloD is still in development for all intents a purposes and that coming patches may make one card a clear winner, but for now I'd like to see if there's already a disparity or a clear performance gain from extra VRAM over 1.5 GB and if we're seeing one card clearly beating the other.

To answer one of the earlier poster's questions, I do play other games on a regular basis, but IL-2 is by far and away the one I play most often. (Ex. In a week where I spend 20 hours on video games, about 10-15 will be IL-2).

Also, in response to another poster, I do not want or plan to get the 3GB GTX 580 or the GTX 590.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Approved Member

I wish I had that much patience. I think the single core 580 3gb is the best bet til then. At least I'll get a decent frame rate til the kick ass stuff is out.

~S~
Old 04-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyby View Post
Oh! I see now. Here in the yard (U.S.) the 3gb GTX580 is known as the GTX 590, and it has two GPUs on it.
Not true. 590 is a card with two downclocked chips from 580 in SLI. Think of it as "SLI on a stick". The only problem is - 590 comes with such poor power regulation that many of those uber expensive cards have already died. Nvidia blames it on beta drivers, but there is more to it. All dual GPU cards should be avoided IMO. Particularly for CoD.

Even if you do get it, it is SLI. So, no matter that you have 3 GB of VRAM total, you are only effectively using 1.5 GB as this is what is assigned to each GPU chip. And CoD doesn't support SLI/XF yet. Even if it did, you are left with 1.5 GB of total VRAM - just "twice as fast".

This is where 3GB 580 comes is. It is specifically custom built for SLI on higher resolutions.

1.5 GB of VRAM on HD resolutions is more than enough for almost every other game out there. But CoD seems to need more. Thus, since 580 is faster than 6970 - the choice is obvious, provided you have the money.

So far, I've seen 3 OM's offering 3GB versions. The latest and baddest (with factory OC) comes from Zotac:

ZOTAC AMP²! GeForce GTX 580

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories
Old 04-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Approved Member

That's the bad boy I've been looking at. Even tho SLI support is just around the corner, it's still the better one to get?
Old 04-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Approved Member

How's this baby?

http://www.ginger6.com/palit-pcie-p-...edium=Shopping
Old 04-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellman View Post
That's the bad boy I've been looking at. Even tho SLI support is just around the corner, it's still the better one to get?
Without a doubt - YES. Stay clear from dual GPU solutions like 6990 and 590.
  • 6990: runs hot and is loud as a vacuum cleaner from 1950's
  • 590: will die a silent death because of a cheap power regulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellman View Post
I'd go with Zotac if you can get it. But this is more than ok.

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories
Old 04-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Approved Member

Unhappy

Hmmm. Having trouble finding one for sale
Old 04-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Approved Member

Just ordered the Palit 580 3gb. Has great reviews.

Thx for the help and advice, Thor.

~S~

85FG_Wolf
Old 04-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Approved Member

Default huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T}{OR View Post
Not true. 590 is a card with two downclocked chips from 580 in SLI. [/IMG][/URL]
Yes the 590 has two down-clocked chips on one board, each with 1.5gb of vram. I mis-typed what I meant to say. I am aware that the 3GB-580 has only the one chip on it. My bad? Too bad such a card is not available here, so far as I know. I'd get one for sure.
Flyby out
Old 04-11-2011, 01:54 AM
Approved Member

I agree the single GPU GTX 580 3GB is the best option, and it offers the future upgrade path to SLI with a second 580 later. Once ROF and COD have finalised their SLI patches that is.. DCS A-10C already has some SLI support it seems.

Do you really think more than 1.5GB VRAM is needed though? Looking at MSI afterburner my 1.5gb Vram doesn't max out in COD unless I turn everything high and use > 2560 resolution or multi monitor. (which you can't do anyway due to performance issues).