Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 11-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE-OF-ACES View Post
It is not age based at all.. It has more to do with 'what you do' in life.. Take me for example, a basic engineering job allows me enough disposable income and time to pay to play with several dependants, dogs, and bills in general

That is to say

We should not force game makers to cater to the lowest common denominator!
It's not a question of money: X dollars a month won't make or break most peoples' budgets.

It's a question of time: If I was in my 60s and retired I'd have all sorts of free time to play video games and still do enough around the house to avoid pissing my wife off.

I can afford the game financially but if I were to get busy and not have time to play then I'd be getting charged for not playing the game and not getting my money's worth.

I play sports, I ski, I go out for dinner/movie nights, etc etc etc. Why would I voluntarily accept being charged money for time I spend not playing the game?

Quote:
Put another way, I don't want to play a flight sim that any starbucks baristas can afford!
Meh, that's elitist. I'm not one to dismiss someone based on how much money they make or where they work.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDoggles View Post
Why would I voluntarily accept being charged money for time I spend not playing the game?
Because as I pointed out, sometimes it works out to be cheaper to pay a flat rate than an hourly rate

Quote:
Meh, that's elitist. I'm not one to dismiss someone based on how much money they make or where they work.
Elitist?

Not at all, I am simply stating the fact that some poeople, for what ever reason, make more $ than others. And that we should not expect game makers to cater to those who have to choose between paying for a game or new shoes for thier kids
Old 11-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Approved Member

Whatever.

My point is, if they go Free2Play (which means pay2win and cheaters) or subscription-fee (rip-off), then I quite simply will not purchase the sequel, no matter how good it is.

If that means no more WWII simming for a long time? Oh well, I'll have to live with that disappointment, I guess. But I'm not going to support the F2P or monthly-fee system, no matter how badly I would like to fly a Yak-1 with awesome physics/graphics/sound.

I'd just wish they'd hurry up and at least release some details. They probably think that they're building hype and anticipation, but what they're really doing is the opposite.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Dear 1C/Maddox Games,

I imagine you don't read this forum very much but hopefully this finds the right people. I'm not really sure where else to send this because it appears you are not in touch with what the community wants, so here goes:

Obviously rumours are flying, but one of the rumours is that the next game will either be a F2P MMO or some kind of subscription-based model.

I just want to let you know that if you go with the Free-to-play model, supported by microtransactions (i.e. pay for individual skins, aircraft, ammo types, etc.), under no circumstances will I buy it. If you go with the subscription-based model, supported by a monthly fee (i.e. a traditional MMORPG), under no circumstances will I buy it.

I might just be one drop in the bucket, but I imagine there are others who will say the same and I think it's important that we as fans/consumers make our preferences known.

That's all; have a nice day
+1

I would rather the series die than see it tarnished like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
case in point! ^^
LOL!

I remember that in 98~99 I pay 2U$/hour to play Warbids 2.77 online.
One squad guy used to pay 200 U$ per month to IEN.
And, at time the Internet connection here cost here another leg, one have to pay for conection and conectec time.

But in Sundays paid only per conection, so our squad play from 8 to 12 am every Sunday morning, some sleepless and inebriated from Saturday night.

Sokol1
Old 11-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Approved Member

I agree with Doggles on monthly subscription, there is no way I'd get my moneys worth.

I do however don't mind paying for mods or planes that I'd be insterested in using / flying like RoF. If it means the devs continue to receive income to keep going then why not?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Whatever.
Well look at the bright side..

At least we both agree that those who make flight sims need to generate revenue beyond the initial price of the game

Quote:
My point is, if they go Free2Play (which means pay2win and cheaters) or subscription-fee (rip-off), then I quite simply will not purchase the sequel, no matter how good it is.
And as I noted..

A lot of people will say this now hoping flight sim makers will belive what they say

But as we both know, and agree, that the flight sim makers need to generate revenue beyond the initial price of the game to stay in business

Quote:
If that means no more WWII simming for a long time? Oh well, I'll have to live with that disappointment, I guess.

But I'm not going to support the F2P or monthly-fee system, no matter how badly I would like to fly a Yak-1 with awesome physics/graphics/sound.
You would not be the 1st person to say that..

Only to cave later

I remember many a flight simmer saying the same thing your saying now 20 years ago, when most of us were playing off line flight sims like AOTP, AOE, SWOTL, CYAC and the like with regards to Air Warrior and Warbirds..

That is to say

If the flight sim is 'good' and your a 'serious' flight simmer, you will be surprised at how fast you can learn to like eating crow to join your buddies online!
Old 11-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHog71 View Post
I agree with Doggles on monthly subscription, there is no way I'd get my moneys worth.

I do however don't mind paying for mods or planes that I'd be insterested in using / flying like RoF. If it means the devs continue to receive income to keep going then why not?
I'll tell you why not.

A "free to play" game means there's no barrier to registering a new account. That means if you get banned from the game for cheating, you just open a new account.

That means cheaters effectively cannot be banned since they can just register a new account and get right back in. IP bans don't work either if the person has a dynamic IP address (many residential ISPs do this).

So your only recourse is to hope the developers fix the bugs that allow cheats to happen.

Look at Maddox Games' track record: Do you think they will be releasing regular security updates? No.

A free2play game will be rife with cheating, with no way to stop it.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
You would not be the 1st person to say that..

Only to cave later

I remember many a flight simmer saying the same thing your saying now 20 years ago, when most of us were playing off line flight sims like AOTP, AOE, SWOTL, CYAC and the like with regards to Air Warrior and Warbirds..

That is to say

If the flight sim is 'good' and your a 'serious' flight simmer, you will be surprised at how fast you can learn to like eating crow to join your buddies online!
We'll see.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

I had to quit iRacing for this reason. I paid over $300USD until I just couldn't keep up.

From what i can tell ROF is the same? correct me if I'm wrong about that but is the reason I won't touch that game either and I wont buy this one if I have to pay for every little piece.

If it has offline mode and its ONLY subscription I would be willing to pay but no way am I paying $1000s of dollars for one game like iRacing.