Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:42 AM
Approved Member

I've always made a point of pre-ordering installments of the Il-2 and gone out of my way to ensure I get my copy on the first day of release. I won't be doing this with BoM though. I've only got a finite amount of cash to spend on this hobby and I need to ensure that the money goes to the most deserving team. Maddox Games is no longer it, unfortunately. They can keep any demo. I'll wait for the sales.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
Sorry, I'm waiting for the reviews. This forum will have many who will say it is magnificent even if it is an unmitigated disaster. And perhaps that it is a disaster when it is not.
Well, it has a true point. But even if I make myself unpopular with the next sentence: I´ve seen so many people complaining about how unplayable CloD is, and the funny thing is, those people weren´t even able to play the old Il-2 1946 with full settings.
And I never had real problems with this game (performance wise), off course, the sound was, well not so nice, the communications are still...well, shit...(if you have old Il-2 in mind, which communication system they simply could have used for CloD if they´re unable to make a new one.), but in terms of performance, I was always above 30 to 40 fps. I´ve had about maybe 3 to 4 Launcher.exe crashes, and the only time, the game went slightly unplayable, was with one of the earlier beta patches, when flying over London.

So my personal opinion is: If a sequel for this game comes out, I will buy it, because it can´t be worse than CloD is at the moment. And I will tell you the reasons I will buy it the first day I get my hands on it.
1.) I love the original Il-2
2.) I enjoy CloD very much, even it is not at it´s full potential.
and finaly 3.) I think, we all want a new Il-2 which goes the same way as the old one, but only better. But we only get this, if we support the developers. And I think we should support them, because I don´t see much alternative developers for a WW 2 flight sim.

But off course, a demo would be fantastic. 10 years ago, we´ve got demos for every ... game, even on CD or then DVD of the gamer magazines. Now, you have to beg for something like it, and in most cases won´t get it.
Maybe the game developers don´t want us to test their product anymore before buying it. But anyway, we only rent the software so...
(The same applies for manuals, 10 to 15 years ago, we got a game for 100 DM (about 50€ today), and got a manual with about 100 to 400 pages! Today, we pay the same, well, due to inflation I think even more, and we get a leaflet with 14 pages.

But miracles still happen... xD

Just my two (€) Cents
Old 09-15-2012, 06:58 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG3_Hartmann View Post
Maybe the game developers don´t want us to test their product anymore before buying it.
+1 even if some devs have trust in their products (i.e. F1 2012) and try this way to stimulate new users or bored one!
Old 09-15-2012, 07:17 AM
Approved Member

I for one will not be expecting a demo for BOM. I'm very much looking forward to the release though. I really don't think that pre-orders matter very much to them either, so I won't bother to do so. The shots of the Russian map that we viewed where beautiful to me. Smolensk, Kiev unknown but they looked great!!...as a side note, yesterday I realized that the individual land vehicles are capable of speed adjustment. This should be very useful for historical mission design

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 09-15-2012, 07:32 AM
Approved Member

why free demo when you can get money for beta ? ...it worked with CoD so ...

we are all addicted and we don't have any real alternative ( WW II ) so we will take any bone they throw at us .

As for me goes , i will buy BoM as soon as hard copy comes to my part of the World ( but not directly from Steam) . In the meantime i will get first torrent i spot just because of my addiction/impatience to try it ASAP .

reg
Z

Born to fly...forced to work!!!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Approved Member

How about a working CLoD demo before we all wax lyrical about BoM??

Chris

http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/index.php

Gigabyte z77-d3h, Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (OC 4.2GHz), Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 24GB DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit , Samsung 120GB SSD 840 SATA 6Gb/s Basic, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB, Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W '80 Plus Silver' PSU,
GTX580 3gb OC
Old 09-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristorf View Post
How about a working CLoD demo before we all wax lyrical about BoM??
Agreed

What they say about us having to buy their product again to fix the original, is 100% bullshit.

We know it, and they know it.
SSD: Intel 520 Series 240GB
HDD: WD Black 1000GB (1TB)
MoBo: ASUS P8Z77-V Socket 1155 Intel Z77 Chipset
Old 09-16-2012, 12:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea78 View Post
Considering the last declarations, IMHO it will be nice if a sort of "demo" will be available, at least for ClOD users.

My "fear" is the BoM will be exactly as the latest ClOD release with more contents, while a demo release could be a good method to improve users' trust in IL2 series and continue to support it.
I've never installed a demo on top of another demo. This will be one for the books!
Old 09-16-2012, 02:06 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea78 View Post
Considering the last declarations, IMHO it will be nice if a sort of "demo" will be available, at least for ClOD users.

My "fear" is the BoM will be exactly as the latest ClOD release with more contents, while a demo release could be a good method to improve users' trust in IL2 series and continue to support it.
the demo question was asked in the lead-up to CoD

the answer at the time was that it would take to much effort to create as a separate item, and would take to many man hrs which they were very short on.

i suspect the answer will still be the same right now for BoM
President Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953: Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone, it is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children
Old 09-16-2012, 05:42 AM
Approved Member

I paid A$100 for CLOD and was happy to pay that, or even more to get a quality BOB sim. Ok we have problems, we all know the story but I'm still happy to pay $50+ for BOM if it gives more aircraft and fixes. I'm enjoying, the limited scope of what CLOD has delievered. Only up from here!

The demo i can take or leave, lets just hope it doesn't turn me off! (backfire)

.....--oOo-- --oOo-- HE-111 --oOo-- --oOo--.....
========================================
-oOo- Intel i7-2600K (non-clocked) -oOo- GA-P67A
-oOo- DF 85 full tower -oOo- 1000W corsair
-oOo- 8 GB 1600Hz -oOo- 2 x GTX 580 1.5M (295.73)
-oOo- 240 SSD -oOo- W7 64bit
-oOo- PB2700 LED 2560 x 1440 6ms 60Hz -oOo-
========================================

Last edited by He111; 09-16-2012 at 05:51 AM.