Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: The Legend > Adventure mode

Adventure mode All you want to know about adventure mode (may contain SPOILERS)

Old 11-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Approved Member

Don't bother with HOMM V? I was just investigating the possibility of buying that game. It turns out that Ubisoft are about to release all HOMM V and the 2 expansions in one budget disk (That's Hot range) which will be like $20 for me! So why shouldn't I play HOMM V?

I think I saw a HOMM 3 + 4 complete DVD a while back...
Old 11-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Approved Member

If you really want all heroes there should be something like this in shops:
http://www.gram.pl/upl/artykul/120081024153208.jpg
It has all heroes from I to V with all exp.
But still trust me everything you need is the King! Go buy homm3.
Later you may try homm5 maybe you will taste in it :/.

Edit: oh my memory just bring back additional complaint so i upgrade my first post .

Last edited by Smash; 11-20-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Approved Member

The only think KB and HoMM have in common is turn based combat, and King's Bounty has far superior turn based combat. If you're into castle building and resource management, then HoMM may be the better choice but if you compare the things they have in common, KB is the better game.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash View Post
It is time for some harsh words. Game was charged for full price in Poland and it really give little in back. To make some things clear i am big fan of homm3 and disciples 2 but i hate homm5 for various reasons.

Overall game looks rushed:
- nothing worth calling intro
- pathetic story, beginning looks great especially myth style prolog but more deeper more nonsense.
- first 2 lands look rich but later i got feel of rush, less of everything.
- very small creature poll, especially when most of them are similar (bears) or are blank (zombies, dwarves, miners) or looks very similar orc -> orc veteran what can piss off. To much run skill (run for zombie? wth?) give you feeling of lack of ideas (btw, no lvl 5 human unit? oO).
- not as much random mostly because of small creatures and items poll, plus some plays will always has specific type of creature.
- To much ideas from others place making game funny maybe at first glance but it only show that they didn't have ideas so they borrow. Everyone love easter eggs but this whole game is easter egg. Most irritating thing? turtle and world.
- when you see in dwarves mines magma rock showing that demons are slowing taking land from dwarves plus war mention plus all this defense with cannons you are expecting to see some cool ingame battles between two forces, at least cut scene, nope nothing in other words world is too static, nothing happen, no adrenaline pump until you are running away from beholders
- AI, word pathetic is too weak, most stupid ai i have yet to see, ai casting blind on one of your soldiers just to attack them right away? Omg.
- flat, boring battlefield, common we have, let me check end of 2008? After playing homm3 for over 7 years this will not increase my interest. No treasures or statues make a job. Please more ingenuity.
- fighting with bosses where somehow refresh but only 3? And you meet them in first half of the game? No end game boss? WTH? No time, money or ideas?
- Talent tree very boring and too much useless skills, no game changing skills as much as i hate homm5 in term of hero progression aka skills it beats kb on head.
- Spells lack something, like f.e. not enough mass spells, if there is precision where is bloodlust, shield etc.
- Rage spirits are just spells for warrior, i really missed two things with them first some more buff debuff spells, too much not worth damage spells and theirs presence on the battlefield as powerful units.
- path finding issues, really i would love to click on some long distance and watch as my hero move there not watching as he crash on nearest obstacle or even not move in first place so have to do step by step sometimes.
- < reserve slot for more complaints >

On plus i like environment very much especially this jumping from tree too tree squirrels, battlefield which is not random but bigger version of where you met opponent (impressive), art works and elvish music

But seriously i doubt that they will rid me of money for their expansion if they don't put more effort into it.
I agree with you only in that there aren't many units, and they are kind of the same (gost-cursed ghost, swordmen-guardsmen). In my case, by Elf's land I had already seen all of them so from there on it turned kind of repetitive to not see new ones (I expected new units for the final battle).

3 bosses? yes and they are in the first half of the game. There could be a truly strong one for the final battle!!.

Cut scenes? Yes but only a few (after a characters like Karador or Hass death). Or a cool intro.

Talent skill could be a little bigger, with skills that could only be reached near the end of the game because of rune requierements. And make mind skills more useful, most of them are useless.

Reserve slots? Yes please!! It could disbalance the whole game but it could also lead to new strategies and, come on, some battles where 10 against 5! It could have been a little fairier plus it was a irritant. I mean, I attack a castle with only 5 when he has twice as much as me? Not the best way to win a battle. And about disbalancing the game, give more troops to the enemies, or create a better AI.

The history is not a masterpiece but HELL, other games have far worse and are still entertaining. Sure it could have been better, but it could be worse.

A little balancing could use the chest of rage. There are only a few really useful abilities and the others take space for only 4 precious techniques per summon ( Lina specially, not useful enough)

And money could be more valuable. I had little 4 MM by the end of the game and not a single item sold so it looked like it was just for decoration. Maybe make it more scarce or things more expensive.

But aside from that, what a great gaming experience!! I don’t remember becomming so addicted to a game since I played Titan’s Quest and Inmortal Throne and beat the 3 difficulties one after another. KB:L is a great game, small mistakes are there but still the experience is there: GREAT

P.S: Put more vocalized music in the expansion pleaseeeee ( Shadow of and Oak pleople?)
Old 11-20-2008, 11:42 PM
Approved Member

I'm a big fan of HOMM and kings bounty.

My take on HOMM for those who havent played it (suprised to be honest.. as I thought most KB fans would have come from a heroes background..)

Heroes 3 was awesome, and it had great expansion packs - Armageddons blade and the shadow of death. It was very fun in single player and multiplayer. I didnt really play wog, so wont comment on that.

Heroes 5 was very fun in multiplayer as there are quite diverse tactical options, far beyond mere fighting, but also in character and kingdom development. However it's single player campaign is rather lacking... as it is more complex than KB and harder to even up the AI without 'cheating'. It also had a terrible story which made you not care about the characters or anything like that.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:11 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sector24 View Post
The only think KB and HoMM have in common is turn based combat, and King's Bounty has far superior turn based combat. If you're into castle building and resource management, then HoMM may be the better choice but if you compare the things they have in common, KB is the better game.
Care to explain? How it is superior turn based combat when system is nearly same?
Old 11-21-2008, 01:53 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhuangzi
Don't bother with HOMM V? I was just investigating the possibility of buying that game. It turns out that Ubisoft are about to release all HOMM V and the 2 expansions in one budget disk (That's Hot range) which will be like $20 for me! So why shouldn't I play HOMM V?

HOMM V is good and expansions improved it a lot. You will probably find this game not as addictive and somewhat lacking in clarity compared to KB:TL, but still it's very intelligent and interesting game. Same applies to HOMM 3.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:40 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Care to explain? How it is superior turn based combat when system is nearly same?
Well, I believe as well that KB has much better combat system...

Plus:
You may fight combined neutral armies - where the stack number can be above your double stack number (above 10 enemy stack units - much more fun)

You can fight the guardians (gremlins) - HUGE Fun

You can collect treasures (great minigame to catpure the damn treasure sooner than your enemy and still not take disadvantage from it - need of fast tanks in your army)

Rage box (something similar was in WOG as hanchman, but rage box is real real fun)

living obstacles (healer pillar, lightning pillar, volcano, undead casket... )

Visuals - like real eye candies (even HOMM V has beutifull 3-d combat camera, but KB somehow feels more magical/beutifull... a lot more, HOMM V animation is somehow sterile)

Minus:
Not the best of the best AI (still above average) - which is solved in MOD (and probably in patch)
Old 11-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhuangzi View Post

Actually HOMM V 3.1 (Tribes of the EAST - ToE) is all in one pack - it contains the self-sufficient original + 1st datadisk (dwarves) and second datadisk (ToE) - I think its called alone standing - and it is really cheap nowdays, so don't be confused by some "special editions" where you can get some "silver" toys (unless you really wants these toys).

Alos HOMM V 3.1 ToE has many MOD's so you can be sure the fun is 120% of the thrice patched bug-less original (3.1).

Homm V is best online - another reason buying it. (You should be prepared that the scenario becomes very hard very soon, even if playing easy diff -> this is because the maps contain many "traps" and quick save/load will be a must - but as it has map generator and really cool map editor and many many maps for download from fans - hundreds hours of fun goes for sure...

For anyone who has to decide between HOMM V or KB - choose KB (or even better, wait for armored pricness - it will support 3-D googles)
Old 11-21-2008, 11:52 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Hmm, I'm not sure I can adequately explain this. I've been playing TBS games for almost 25 years now, and you get a "gut feeling" of whether a game is well designed or not but you can't always say why.

One thing I really like is the way they implemented the "wait" command. Sounds silly I know, but in most games, if you wait and then your opponent waits, you still have to go first. In KB, the advantage goes towards the unit with higher initiative, so that if you wait your slower opponents can wait but they'll still have to move before you. It's a small thing, but it adds a lot of strategy.

Also, I really like the randomly generated battlefields with obstacles, and sometimes with goodies like treasure chests. My favorite are the coffins with skeletons inside, but the whole thing is just a good concept taken one step farther than the games that came before it.

Another thing I like about the combat is that luck exists, but plays such a small role that strategy is still the defining factor in who wins. This is not a direct comparison to any of the HoMM games, just a general observation. Sometimes random damage ranges and critical chance make a game too unpredictable, but KB not only gives you those values up front, but when you mouse over your opponent you can see the damage range and how many opponents you will kill. A very nice little feature.

I think the power levels and leadership costs of the units are well balanced. What unbalances the game are a select few items and a select few spells. For instance, Magic Spring is a game destabilizing spell. I relied on it heavily to bend the AI to my will. Without it the game would be much harder. Sacrifice and Resurrection are similar but I actually like those spells. Possibly the game would be more challenging not if they were removed, but just toned down so that intelligence didn't add as much to the spell's power.

The items that unbalance the game are Anga's Ruby, Isshara's Whip, etc. They're definitely fun, but they massively increase the damage potential of female and low leadership units. Of course, lake fairies, sprites and dryads are low leadership female units, so you see why they're so powerful. Even the dragonslayer sword to a degree unbalances what should be seriously difficult fights.

But the thing is that the game is not balanced for hardcore players, it's balanced for regular gamers. I think the game's balance is good even though once you learn the sneaky tricks you can beat it on any difficulty level. But the combat really is top notch despite the fact that there are ways to exploit it.

Strategic (the most important)
Small amount of randomness that doesn't overshadow strategy
Tons of options for diverse and successful armies and playstyles
Neat obstacles and objects on the battlefield
Well thought out combat rules that add to the strategy

The things that drag the combat down are not actually part of the combat. They are spells and items that can be exploited to upset the game's natural balance. Hope that helps to explain my point of view.