Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qpassa View Post
We have the same opinion, It should be optional
sureley this should be an option for graphics cards to have, plenty of options for filters on them already, 1 more couldnt hurt, plus, if its handles by a sub OS process (driver based as graphics cards are) then it will be more efficient than software based solutions. Also this will be more financial viable because you dont pass the cost of developing this onto every single game developer, some of which are finding it hard enough to afford to produce games as it is.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Approved Member

Imagine all the situations in the world that can cause an epileptic attac. If one was to forbid everything that for a very few may cause an epileptic attac then the world for absolutely sure would come to a quick stop. To bad Luthier has decided to implement this filter that is not possible to turn off just because he does not want to be sued. There has to be another solution. If this filter causes noticeable detoriation on gameplay then I'll read a book instead, so I don't get a seizure.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Approved Member

Epilepsy may not be a joke, but forcing everyone to play with the filter is.

I'm not even going to considering buying this game unless there is a way to turn it off.

If they stick a massive disclaimer and warning in the game they cant be sued.

Just really annoyed to hear of this rubbish, idiots is all i can say, was really looking forward to this, just to get it toned down, after all that work to make it "perfect".

How many epileptics have been suing the tv companies for broadcasting flashing images?

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/play/764/

No need to worry about getting sued, the loss of sales will make up for it i'm sure.

Last edited by LegTaste; 03-26-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegTaste View Post
Epilepsy may not be a joke, but forcing everyone to play with the filter is.

I'm not even going to considering buying this game unless there is a way to turn it off.
+1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegTaste View Post
If they stick a massive disclaimer and warning in the game they cant be sued.

No need to worry about getting sued, the loss of sales will make up for it i'm sure.
I do wonder if they did a study first on what effect would this have? Which will cause them more money lost - low sales of a couple of possible lawsuits. Because everywhere you look people are talking about canceling their orders.

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories
Old 03-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Approved Member

Gees, people talk as if the team didn't give a damn about anyone. As far as I recall, there's been a (huge, by the way) thread in which Ilya explained in details the whole issue with the filter and what their plans regarding it (that being making it switchable).

Please, stop bashing the devs for an issue caused purely by the PUBLISHER and that is currently being addressed. It has been said already that they are working in a more realism-friendly version of the filter (so that epileptic users can enjoy better graphics too) and also a switch so non-epileptic users can turn it off.

It has been already stated that the filter in use right now is merely a STOP-GAP. They just decided to get rid of the features that may cause a seizure for the time being while they work on the actual, more complex filter.

Quoting:

Quote:
Hi everyone,

The team could never in a million years imagine that a post on a Russian-language forum would so quickly make the rounds and spread around the internet.

The information there is not accurate, especially the placing of the blame on Ubisoft.

I feel that I need to describe this in more detail.

Our game did cause wide-scale epilepsy failures when tested. Propellers, muzzle flashes, smoke puffs, explosions, falling bombs, flying or taxiing between buildings, sun shining through canopy framework, etc, they were all causing potentially seizure-inducing flashes.

We worked hard to address all these issues individually, but since a flight sim is all about fast-moving large objects, there were just too many instances of things causing high-contrast flashes.

So, as we were running out of time, WE decided to implement this epilepsy filter as a stop-gap measure.

The filter sits on top of the game's graphics wrapper. It saves a previous frame, and then compares it pixel-by-pixel to the new frame. When two pixels are found with a high degree of contrast between them, the new pixel is toned down to make the change less drastic.

This causes a visual effect somewhere between bloom and motion-blur that removes virtually all instances of high-contrast flashes.

However this pixel-by-pixel frame analysis and modification takes up additional resources, it in fact delays the showing of each new frame until each pixel of it checked, and therefore the filter is causing deteriorated performance that is especially notable on lower-end machines.

We are continuing to work to optimize the game and to increase its framerate. Ubisoft has been very patient and understanding with us throughout the entire process, and we are continuing to work with them very closely to find the best solution to epilepsy issues.

In summary, I want to stress that it is OUR code and OUR game engine that is causing performance issues. And it US who has to make it better, and that's exactly what we pledge to do.
I think they've made it clear enough, so all this whining and bashing is something very, very unnecessary.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Approved Member

Guys thanks for all your posts but my thread isn't about the filter and never was. There's plenty of over posts about the filter, so can we end it here please?

Many thanks.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Approved Member

Also never say fit. It's seizure. The wife and the sister in law have fits
Old 03-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_From_Hell View Post
Gees, people talk as if the team didn't give a damn about anyone. As far as I recall, there's been a (huge, by the way) thread in which Ilya explained in details the whole issue with the filter and what their plans regarding it (that being making it switchable).
Do you have selective reading? Only for the Russian version it will be completely REMOVED - with the next patch. We, in the rest of the World have to wait until they adjust the whole game. This will undoubtedly take much longer than most people here think. Then and only then will the Filter be removed for the international version. On what level will the game be castrated, remains to be seen.

Apologies to Moggy, this was and will be my last post here on the matter. Mods, delete it if needed.

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories
Old 03-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domian View Post
That may be so, but where is the Anti-Epilepsy-Filter in movies on television or cinema?
In the UK, all TV Shows are tested for seizures. That is mandatory by law

Just like Cliffs of Dover was tested, and failed the test, it seems.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Approved Member

Its like removing nuts from all previously nut containing products because people with nut allergies could become ill or die from eating them.
Closed Thread