Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Vehicle and Terrain threads

Vehicle and Terrain threads Discussions about environment and vehicles in CoD

Old 06-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Approved Member

Thank's for the help So it's just how the 88 cannon is in action..
But this Flak gun is alot better when it comes to precision. But it only do light damage to the plane.. Sometime it kills the pilot, sometimes the whole plane get shot down.. But only if i place a 300 of these at the ground ^^

Last edited by Hveding; 06-29-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Approved Member

According to the screenshots, slow bombers were flying in daytime, on a straight line, not too high (3000m?). What you said here is not one of the example which can be compared with this.

i7 7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB Ram 3GHz, MSI GTX 1070 8GB, 27' 1920x1080, W10/64, TrackIR 4Pro, G940
Cliffs of Dover Bugtracker site: share and vote issues here
Old 07-01-2011, 03:42 AM
Approved Member

Milch differed radically from Hitler in his proposals for combating the
troublesome British bombing attacks by night. Hitler still believed in a strong
defence by flak and searchlights. The state secretary, although a former artillery
officer himself, was not enamoured of anti-aircraft artillery: he once calculated
that besides the huge and costly ground organization it had taken on average
2,313 rounds of heavy flak and 4,258 rounds of light flak to bring down each
aircraft they had claimed up to the end of November 1940

From The Rise and Fall of the Luftwaffe, the biography of Milch. You can grab a free copy here, plenty of good stuff.

http://www.fpp.co.uk/books/Milch/

He wasn't a big fan of flak or impressed with its results to cost ratio. Too much manpower and resources wasted, and they never at any time reduced enemy effectiveness below 90% efficiency in hitting their targets.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:08 AM
Approved Member

You have to remember the propaganda factor to the German public. For many of them this was the only thing seen that was fighting back against the devastating air raids. It also kept the heavy bombers above 25,000 feet which affected accuracy.

I remember seeing the stats for the amount of heavy flak rounds to bring down an aircraft, but they were much higher than what was stated---more like 10,000.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Approved Member

Using the laws of probability, I believe it was estimate that around 1 bomber should be shot down for every 800 or so 88mm shells fired. In 1944 based on the actual number of rounds used by the dedicated flak batteries and the numbers of actual bombers shot down it was found to be closer to 10,000 88 fired per bomber destroyed. Overall during the war the number was something like 18,000 per bomber destroyed.

Keep in mind that something like 25% of the B17's returning wopuld have some type of flak damage.. but that would include everything from mangled to a single pin hile in the skin.

Flak at low levels with 37mm/20mm/25mm class weapons was a lot more elthal because the lead compensation was far less complex and the hits were usually direct hits causing more damage.
XFX 6970 Video Card
Win7 64 Bit Home Ed
ATI 12.3 Driver Package
WD Caviar 7600 RPM HDD
ATI CCC at DEFAULT settings
Old 07-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Approved Member

i notice a problem with heavy flak... when they shoot. the bullet explose really too soon. i put 30 flak on a field and bomber passing at 3000meters.

only 3 black flocons at the altitude of bomber the other seems to explode below 2000meter...

i do the test again with bomber at 5000 meters.... all black flocons were at 3000 metter and none explode at 5000 meters.

in fact the probleme of the flak servant are they can't appreciate the high of plane

if only we can link static elevation tools with the flak... maybe we can...but how?!
Old 07-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Approved Member

another thing!

i put an hearing radar.... he turn to the direction of the plane he hear....but exept that... i still don't know what is the usefull of this unit....

we really miss info about the possibility of the FMB and the ground unit!
Old 07-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmiol View Post
another thing!

i put an hearing radar.... he turn to the direction of the plane he hear....but exept that... i still don't know what is the usefull of this unit....

we really miss info about the possibility of the FMB and the ground unit!
To have the range finder units (radar, acoustic locators, etc) guide the flak you need to "connect" them in the FMB. There's an option in the object properties named "set target" or something similar: click on it and you'll get a target cursor and a line extending from the range finder unit, just place it on a flak battery and click again.

Now the units should be "connected" and your range finders will give data to the flak. Also, you need to place an anti-aircraft AI. This is a pre-made C script that you just set on the map and adjust its radius to include all your flak units and maybe the rang finders too (they'll be close to each other anyway), but sadly i don't remember exactly where it can be found. I think it's in the object category "ai actor".
Old 07-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Crunch View Post
Milch differed radically from Hitler in his proposals for combating the
troublesome British bombing attacks by night. Hitler still believed in a strong
defence by flak and searchlights. The state secretary, although a former artillery
officer himself, was not enamoured of anti-aircraft artillery: he once calculated
that besides the huge and costly ground organization it had taken on average
2,313 rounds of heavy flak and 4,258 rounds of light flak to bring down each
aircraft they had claimed up to the end of November 1940

From The Rise and Fall of the Luftwaffe, the biography of Milch. You can grab a free copy here, plenty of good stuff.

http://www.fpp.co.uk/books/Milch/

He wasn't a big fan of flak or impressed with its results to cost ratio. Too much manpower and resources wasted, and they never at any time reduced enemy effectiveness below 90% efficiency in hitting their targets.
Can't contribute to the discussion here as when I put flak down in the mission editor it doesn't shoot, but just wanted to say thanks to Cap'n Crunch for linking that book - I'm reading it now and it's quite good. Cheers!
Old 07-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigintwarrior View Post
Anyhow, I am not sure how this translates into a computer simulation, but it would seem that high-altitude flak is pretty innaccurate, and until you get to low-medium levels, where numerous smaller caliber guns were able to get in on the action, kills were few and far between.

Exactly how I imagine how it would have been in real life. Everything I've read indicates high altitude flak being inaccurate but low level smaller calibre flak being nasty.

God forbid we get the uber accurate IL2 flak back.