Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Vehicle and Terrain threads

Vehicle and Terrain threads Discussions about environment and vehicles in CoD

Old 06-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redroach View Post
I'm confused. Why do you bring it up again then? People will jump on the bandwagon again

Btw: The first one to destroy a house with bombs or cannons in this photo scenery thingy gets a cookie!

Red,
born and raised on a lime green field!
My words as well, why bring it up again, pointless,
you fail, goodbye, And have a nice day
Old 06-15-2011, 02:00 PM
speculum jockey

The amount of new content has reached such a low point that threads like this are popping up.

I think that it's now official!

Maddox Games, 1C, and Ubisoft have carefully calculated exactly the worst possible decisions to make, and have executed them perfectly. There is no other explanation for this. You have a brand new sim, little to no included content, and then you stonewall everyone so that the community starts to get stale and people lose interest in it.

Bravo MG/1C/Ubi, you are master trolls!
Old 06-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Fish View Post
5 years ! thats what the head of nvidia stated not so long ago.
If he was referring to OptiX it's still only a software engine at the moment (I think) using the GPU, and even with 3 Fermi cores in SLI, displaying one model, you get a slide show at best. Maybe in 5 years you might get it smooth enough, but to use it in a sim, even after 5 years from now, I doubt it. It would need to be hardware implemented meaning part of the graphics pipeline and that would mean a HUGE video card, like an Octo GPU solution or something crazy like with an equally crazy power supply ... lol. It is promising though. I'd give it 10 years
Old 06-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redroach View Post
Why do you bring it up again then? People will jump on the bandwagon again
I suppose I'm just a bit fed up with all the threads which say 'Look at this! It's better than Cliffs of Dover!'

When it's not.

Last edited by ATAG_Dutch; 06-15-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Approved Member

I don't think FSX looks bad at all from close distance , with a good global scenery package and individual airports you get also a very good looking textures around the ground level .

Tileproxy video from 2009 :
Created as FREEWARE by Christian Buchner, it's a real-time interface between Microsoft's Flight Simulator X and the Internet. It will download photo-terrain textures from online map services by acting as a proxy server and file format converter. This tool turns your Flight Simulator into an interactive 3D map browser unlike anything you have experienced before.

Some different kind of ground scenery:

and custom scenery airport:

Cheeers ,
S!
Old 06-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Approved Member

nice
Old 06-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch_851 View Post
I suppose I'm just a bit fed up with all the threads which say 'Look at this! It's better than Cliffs of Dover!'

When it's not.
Funny, I'm a bit fed up with those "landscape is too lime-green" complainers. As if they all came from the Gobi Desert or from Antarctica...
Old 06-16-2011, 01:18 AM
speculum jockey

Ughhh! Do we have to say this every week?

1. FSX cherry-picks the scenery they show.
2. FSX does mountain very well, I will give them that.
3. Most of the stuff is aftermarket 3rd party pay-ware.
4. They usually only put decent detail around landmarks and airports. Everything else looks the same.
5. Does earth have 2 suns? Because Sat photos have shadows from buildings and mountains that cannot move because they are part of the texture.
6. Still looks like crap up close, you have to stay in the "sweet spot" which is usually a few thousand feet to get the "good views".
7. Satellite images don't really work for WWII sims due to all the overpasses, 8 lane highways, modern buildings and landscapes, etc... Removing them would have to be done by hand, and that would take a hell of a long time.

See you all in the next exact same thread in 10-20 days.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:32 AM
Approved Member

Photorealistic scenery is well suited for civilian airline sims where you only need detailed ground graphics at airports, the rest of the time your flying above 10000ft. In other areas they generally use low resolution photorealistic graphics that looks quite ugly when you add 3d trees and buildings.

In combat flight sims the fighting can get quite low especially when doing jabo ground attacks. There are some aspects of the COD terrain I don't like but I'm sure the developers will fine tune what they have and modders will also add alot to the overall look of the terrain and it won't cost me a cent.
Asus GTX580 Direct CU II
60gigSSD with only Windows7 64bit, Hotas Peripherals, and COD running on it
500gig HD Dual Boot
Samsung 32"LG 120hz
MSFF2 Joystick
Cougar Throttle
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
Track IR 5 ProClip
Old 06-16-2011, 04:53 AM
Approved Member

Hey without bashing ether/or. I think a good between would be to have a cookie cutter or stencil of the maps and take out highways and modern citys and keep the landmarks ... i mean if fields have 8 diffrent shades of green then copy the sat, shot paste it into country sides ..blend in low level flying and add depth of grass trees hills etc.. I know its alot of work but If you atleast look at diffrent ideas more doors open .. I haven't yet played a sim where diffrent lenghs of trees or houses were present ...i'm sure in years to come we wil have best of both games Hell i still remember playing pac-man for 6 hours