Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Controls threads

Controls threads Everything about controls in CoD

Old 04-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Approved Member

I don't have the game yet, but I can say that in IL2 landings were more difficult than rl small aircraft

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 04-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags View Post
Hi, scissorss.

I taxied in very slowly and my 109 jumped right up and swiveled around, shredding bits of the wing. This was on an airfield in northern France, can't remember exactly where.
Hmm that seems like abnormal behavior of the 109 , but I cannot say I have experienced this phenomenon myself. Then again I don't fly the 109 often either, maybe it is limited to that aircraft alone?
Old 04-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Approved Member

WHat??? Take-off easy??? Try takeing off in the cross-country mission!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Approved Member

I do agree that landing is just a little bit more easy than il2 1946, I notice that my hurricane behave much better when flying under 120 miles/hour. Taking off feels the same to me as it was in il2 1946.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Approved Member

Wait until I get my copy and see how easy it is.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Ali Fish

ive been attempting cross wind landings at a wind setting of 22 with high gust factor and its certainly not so easy anymore.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:17 AM
Approved Member

CoD aeroplanes on average have a somewhat lower wing loading than the aeroplanes in IL2 1946, which makes them inherently easier to land.

It's also easier to feel your way down because the graphics are much better.

I'm slightly surprised by how docile the ground handling is (you can let your feet pretty much go to sleep during both the takeoff and landing rolls, which certainly hasn't been my experience in the three types of tail wheel aeroplanes I've flown IRL).

OTOH, this sort of stuff isn't exactly easy to get data on.

Hopefully the Su26 will be especially helpful in this department when/if it arrives, since they have extremely good data on its landing gear design, and can probably arrange some test flying for one of the devs in a 2 seater quite easily.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:33 AM
Approved Member

I can relate to it being a bit easy. I intentionally put a H-111 into a flatspin, with both engines running fully. Then I sat there as it descended straight down turning violently along the horizon for perhaps 30-60 seconds. Instead of being flattened and exploding as I expected, it touched down safely without any injuries or destruction. EDIT: Yes, vulnerability was on. This was the original steam version before any beta patches.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:11 AM
Approved Member

One thing to remember, most of us have far more hours of stick time than real WW2 pilots would ever dream of logging.

Put a n00b at the controls and see what happens...

I don't think the control manipulations in CoD are any "easier" than IL2, in fact I seem to be "dancing" on the rudder pedals a lot more on takeoff in Cod than IL2. I have to agree that the improved visual/sensory environment of CoD is the main factor in making it seem "easier" to take off and land.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 04-23-2011, 03:11 AM
Approved Member

I am certainly finding landing the 109 easier than in IL21946 - actually managed to land one in The Mall so I could pay my respects to the King at Buck House.

T/O requires lots of right rudder and a forward stick push from neutral trim, which is just as the RL accounts I have seen would suggest.

In IL2 the most difficult landings were the grass strips on the older design maps as these were very narrow making lining up harder: the newer maps (eg Slovakia) had open grass airfields which were much easier. The cut grass strip area in the CoD maps seems to be a little wider.

Also agree about the grapics quality issue - much easier to estimate height.

I suspect the gear is too strong though.