Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:12 AM
Approved Member

I´m totally for the ROF style drm. I never had any problem with the server. I can log in offline if my network connection is down (which was o good step I think), and if you play only offline, you really need connection only for updating/purchasing new airplanes. No problem and you buy directly from the team.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janpitor View Post
I´m totally for the ROF style drm. I never had any problem with the server. I can log in offline if my network connection is down (which was o good step I think), and if you play only offline, you really need connection only for updating/purchasing new airplanes. No problem and you buy directly from the team.
Heavens no! Never will I buy a game that has DRM attached. Why do you think they had to drop the constant online thing then?

There are many people who play their games on laptops when they are away from home - DRM prevents them from playing. And there are many other things which haven't been considered when someone "smart" made a choice to implement it. So far any DRM attempted was a failure.

Yet Starforce seems to be hanging on. If I have to choose between two evils - Starforce would be the one.

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories
Old 11-28-2010, 09:13 AM
Hecke

Quote:
You work at UBI, right?

I'm sure they have more than four times economic loss by serious customers not buying Ubicrap because they don't put up with this sort of treatment than by software pirates.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Approved Member

I know there are software piracy problems but it should NEVER be necessary to have an internet connection to play a game. Registration is ok but not ongoing play. If I don't own it when I buy it you can keep it.

I buy, I register if required and thats it! MS manage to do it with Windows. Why not SoW? I know Windows does get hacked but if there are potential losses price it in, they do anyway.

Do I have another solution? No. That's what they get paid for, let them work it out.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 4GHz / 6Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX570 GPU 1.28Gb superclocked / Crucial 128Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s, 355Mb-215Mb Read-Write / 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680 x 1050 / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro & Rudders
Old 11-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Approved Member

There have been Issues with IL2 1946 v408m downloads from Steam causing corrupted installations.

I personally don't use Steam, but apparently the downloads passed the hash checks so it was uploaded corrupted to certain servers possibly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupo162 View Post
my only problem with steam is, if a nutshell retard manages to hack your account, there you go: no more game to you. And steam accounts get hacked in a daily baises......

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 11-28-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I would be against ROF's system as well. I still haven't bought it because of that.

Many games use some form of online protection, but there are differences between them.

With RoF, the problem for me is that not all of the single player game modes are available offline. Correct me if i'm wrong, but last time i checked you could only play static campaigns and single missions offline, but not the dynamic campaign.

In my opinion the best online protection method would be an improved version of the one used in Starcraft 2. You buy the game, you make a free battlenet account, you enter the game's CD-key into your account information, launch the game and log-in with your account username/password and you're free to play.
You only need to go online once in order to activate your copy, activation is done by logging in with a valid account that's tied to a valid CD-key.
If you want to download patches or join a multiplayer session then of course you need to be online, but there's nothing stopping you from enjoying the complete array of single player features, from custom games to the entire single player campaign, in offline mode.

Or is there? Well, i guess there is and this is the where they need to implement some improvements. The problem with Blizzard's method is that before you can choose to play offline you still need to log-in online and press the "go offline" button, which totally defeats the purpose and retains the possibility of leaving you with an unusable game in the event of a sudden internet failure

However, if we had a system where activation was done the way it's done in SC2 (one-time online log-in, using the publisher's server instead of battlenet obviously) AND you could choose to use the offline mode upon game start-up, i think we'd have the ideal solution. It would be hassle free for the customer, plus the publisher wouldn't have to maintain a huge network infrastructure to deal with increased traffic, because nobody would go online just to play a single player campaign.

Long story short, any form of game protection that has the potential to make my game unusable for any length of time is something i don't accept and don't support with my money.

If a game says on the box "nVidia 460 or Ati 5850 or higher required" and all i have is a 4890, then i won't buy that game until i meet the minimum requirements.

The problem with always-online games is that their minimum requirements are like this: "100% reliable internet connection required". Since there's no such thing as 100% reliable connectivity there's no way to meet these minimum requirements ever, which means that either i will never buy it or the requirements will have to be reduced (officially or "unofficially")
Of course they don't print it like this on the box because they know there's no such thing and it would cost them sales

When i really want a game that has this kind of protection, i either wait for the "special edition" box/special patch with no DRM to come out a few months later, or i wait until the pirates crack it and then i buy it. Yes, i don't pirate it, i buy it and then i crack it.

And this is the irony of it all, depending on the pirates to improve a stock game by bypassing the DRM before i can buy it, effectively means that pirates are making sales for the publishers
Old 11-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
However, if we had a system where activation was done the way it's done in SC2 (one-time online log-in, using the publisher's server instead of battlenet obviously) AND you could choose to use the offline mode upon game start-up, i think we'd have the ideal solution.
That's basically what Steam provides, and for the vast majority it works well (me included). I wouldn't go so far to say that I like the system, because it's still more restrictive than what we had in the past (i.e. install and play) and - as shown in this thread - seemingly trivial problems like a change of a mail address can lock you out of your game collection. But between all those DRM systems out there it's still the most convenient and solid solution. And more or less the limit of what I'm willing to accept - sorry ROF.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:59 AM
Approved Member

Finally got RO sorted, but only after explaining to the help desk what the solution was step-by-step (you know when you just want to throw sh1t at them but remain calm to get though the simple, but tedious process)

Well that puts me further off any DRMs or Steam products.

I would like retail version (look I have MY disk, in MY hands ) with online activation/updates/security checks with online play as it currently is with IL2 (no logins to play) = no problem.
I don't care if it costs more to buy retail - in the long run it's always cheaper and less hassle.

Thank you

Last edited by K_Freddie; 11-29-2010 at 05:03 AM.