Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
BS. That story gets old. Also a typical Nvidia owner response towards newer 'competing' AMD cards.
I can confirm that the AMD Linux drivers are a proper dogs' dinner, haha. As for Windows ones, never had a problem at all, except for the Catalyst Control Centre being a real heap of crap. Oh yeah, and the big phase where Il-2 had various visual artifacts and the like, but hey, 10 year old game.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Approved Member

Well, considering I have machines running both Nvidia and ATI cards...
I'll never buy another AMD/ATI video card. Nothing but troubles.. and I hear the same thing from my flight sim friends with ATI. They are fine if you just want to tinker with Office applications... wont have one for gaming. My nvidia cards/drivers never seem to have an issue... but always running into little "things" with ATI.
And I know my way around a computer as well.. not like I buy compaq gaming rigs. I build my own.
Will be building a new machine just for COD.. and she'll be running Nvidia.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Approved Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novotny View Post
Why, it's the ATI 6990, of course. Hope nobody went out and bought anything by Nvidia in preparation for this title.

Anandtech & HardOCP are some of the first out of the gates with their reviews.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/19044/...uts/index.html

http://hardocp.com/article/2011/03/0...eo_card_review

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4209/a...ngle-card-king

Ooo Shiny. As it is also International Woman's Day, I think I shall celebrate by emancipating my wife: I'm going to sell her and get one of these.

edit:: actually doesn't best nvidia in every test, but I like supporting the underdog, especially when he's a good bit cheaper and mostly better.
overpriced,overnoisy and overheated, just mho
Old 03-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
BS. That story gets old. Also a typical Nvidia owner response towards newer 'competing' AMD cards.
Maybe, I just remember a personal nightmare with them from a few years ago. They may of improved them alot since then, I have not tried them out so I am just going from older experience and what people are saying.
Also I am not bashing them for the sake of it, nvidia does plenty of things wrong too.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG4_Helofly View Post
I recently bought a HD 6870. It works extremly well at max settings in games like battlefield bad company 2 or cod black ops (1920x1200).
I see no reason why IL2 shouldn't work with that card. And compared to the 6900 series it's much cheaper.
The real bottle neck will probably be the CPU, so get a good one.

You have it right, we can get by on lesser GPU's. What we really need is a CPU!
Something that clocks high like the new 2500K sandy balls! And before this starts a "but sandy bridge is broken" thread, Its not that big of a deal. I'd get:

2500K( 2600K is too much $ for for the difference)
Z68 MoBo (when they come out)
8GB 1600 RAM
I'm keeping my 2X HD 5770 CF AMD GPU (it = a 5870)
at least a 128GB SSD for OS and steam games(also don't start a whin fest bout steam) and old hard drive for other stuff
Old 03-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novotny View Post
Why, it's the ATI 6990, of course. Hope nobody went out and bought anything by Nvidia in preparation for this title.

Anandtech & HardOCP are some of the first out of the gates with their reviews.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/19044/...uts/index.html

http://hardocp.com/article/2011/03/0...eo_card_review

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4209/a...ngle-card-king

Ooo Shiny. As it is also International Woman's Day, I think I shall celebrate by emancipating my wife: I'm going to sell her and get one of these.

edit:: actually doesn't best nvidia in every test, but I like supporting the underdog, especially when he's a good bit cheaper and mostly better.
Actually any card that gives you >30 fps as a minimum at desired res and settings is fine. Yes higher is better but it wont make you a better pilot just lighten your wallet.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsSsSsSsSnake View Post
overpriced,overnoisy and overheated, just mho
You forgot overkill
Old 03-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Approved Member

The main reason i bought my gtx580 is the low heat. It's absolutely stunning on that department with the stock cooler. Idles at 37 and just below 70 under gaming. Never seen it go over 70 yet. I love this card.

I7-3930K CPU w/ Corsair H60 liquid cooling.
16Gb Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz.
Asus P9X79 Deluxe Motherboard.
Asus GTX680 2Gb SLI
Auzentech Home theater 3D Soundcard.
Corsair HX850 Modular PSU.
Win 7 x64 Ultimate
TM Warthog HOTAS.
TM Cougar MFD's.
Saitek Flight Pro pedals.
TrackIr 5.
Samsung Syncmaster 2770FH LCD.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Approved Member

No offence to anyone but do people actually read the articles?

Quote:
Card is mediocre - they just pulled the old trick and making glueing together two lesser cards to make a better single unit at a lower price.
They've used the Cayman XT GPU's not the Bart GPU's for this card, so they've broken with tradition.

Quote:
The latest series from AMD is a flop - overheats like GTX 480 used to and can be used for heating purposes. A real shame on AMD's part that they can't take the lead and produce the proper card.
Huh? The 5800 and 6800 series of cards use less power and are quieter than the 480, even the 580 uses less than a 480. As for power load and temps on the 6990, this new card uses less than a 580 in SLI and produces more performance, and will no doubt cost less than a 580x2 SLI set up.

Everyone must remember that this card is not for everyone, hell I'd even recommend lower spec'd cards for CoD. But if you've got a multi monitor set up and want nothing but ALL the highest settings to be displayed then this is the card you'd want to get.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex View Post
No offence to anyone but do people actually read the articles?

They've used the Cayman XT GPU's not the Bart GPU's for this card, so they've broken with tradition.

Huh? The 5800 and 6800 series of cards use less power and are quieter than the 480, even the 580 uses less than a 480. As for power load and temps on the 6990, this new card uses less than a 580 in SLI and produces more performance, and will no doubt cost less than a 580x2 SLI set up.

Everyone must remember that this card is not for everyone, hell I'd even recommend lower spec'd cards for CoD. But if you've got a multi monitor set up and want nothing but ALL the highest settings to be displayed then this is the card you'd want to get.

6990 does NOT perform better or even as 2x580, period. It doesnt even perform like 2x6970 but more like 2x6950 + its hotter, a fair chunk louder and more powerhungry, but hey, at least its more expensive.

Temps are high but would be even higher if the the fan wasnt working overtime to keep the heat at bay. Its the loudest card ever produced, hence, in extension the hottest (the stock cooler is a complete waste of space.)

The fact that many sites doing the tests got errors, black screens, refusal to even start applications etc, is just icing on the cake.(apparently)

Typical AMD cut and paste hope for the best dont worry about the driver, that we can fix in a month or two, maby approach.

The point of this card is beyond me and i feel for those suckered into buying it.

Last edited by Baron; 03-08-2011 at 11:42 PM.