Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyby View Post
Swiss, I misunderstood when you typed "Kiss?" I thought you did not know the meaning. No offense.
F19_lacrits, just this morning I added the Sabertooth to my list of possible mobos. Thanks!

Royraiden, of course I've looked at the Gigabyte offerings too. What I'll do is check the customer reviews on Newegg. Then I'll check a few over-clocking sites and see what I get learn there (I intend to perform a mild over-clock on my 17-920; about 3.5ghz or there abouts).
Flyby out
You can overclock that cpu to 3.6ghz without even touching the voltages on my mobo and I think most x58's can do this.This is what I've been doing, I got my cpu to 3.9ghz but that requires a quite some voltage increase and changing a lot of values, so now that I dont need that much speed I went back to 3.6ghz with everything on stock.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Approved Member

Go for the X58 from gigabyte awsome motherboard.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=2957#ov
Old 02-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyby View Post
thanks for the replies, guys. I don't see where USB 3, or SATA 6 will impact me (unless there's a SATA 6 HDD out there; I'll do a search). Since I haven't decided on which GPU to get (Mr. Red or Mr. Green) I think dual-GPU support is important. I may start with one GPU, but I'll see which one works better doubled up for Oleg's new sim. Also, a medium overclock is in the cards, so the bios features supporting this feature is important. I'd like to use the KISS principle and use a few clicks versus challenging the timings, etc.
thanks again for the input. good stuff
Flyby out
What do you have now for hardware? Type ram etc. If you have ddr2 then go with a socket am2+ amd mobo. Dont let people BS you about DDR3 vs DDR2 the improvments are minimal. I would rather have 4 gigs of DDR2 than 2gigs of DDR3.

Lots of parts can be used in a new system saving you cash. AMD system much cheaper and run CoD just fine. If you have lots of cash to throw away go intel and get only slightly better performance.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Approved Member

Hey, what I have and I suggest is a rather expensive option BUT it will last you a very very long time and is upgradeble. I have a 4-way EVGA Classified x58 ATX mobo, I would suggest going for the 3-way sli though. If you are in to tech at all or think you will in the future, this board is awesome because you can OC super easy, has lots of room for additions, easy (comparably) to trouble shoot because it has a LED panel on it which if there is a problem, will give you a number corresponding to what is wrong. In addition you can turn parts of the board on or off, so if I have a memory problem or a gpu problem I can turn off the specific port/piece and by repeating this I can find the failed hardware (otherwise you would have to manually remove each piece and replace it by hand to trouble shoot). Also it has a lifetime warranty
Old 02-11-2011, 06:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool61 View Post
What do you have now for hardware? Type ram etc. If you have ddr2 then go with a socket am2+ amd mobo. Dont let people BS you about DDR3 vs DDR2 the improvments are minimal. I would rather have 4 gigs of DDR2 than 2gigs of DDR3.

Lots of parts can be used in a new system saving you cash. AMD system much cheaper and run CoD just fine. If you have lots of cash to throw away go intel and get only slightly better performance.
Yes and no. Problem is DDR3 ram wont seem any faster if you have a crap harddrive which is needing to be paged and therefore bottlenecking the ram. If you get DDR2 prepare to upgrade in the next year because cpu clocks have begun to climb again and the new cpu's are 32nm which means you get a bigger benefit from high clocks.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Approved Member

Wonder why you've chosen x58? You don't plan to put a faster CPU in your system in the future? Is it a system that'll be discarded?
Old 02-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Approved Member

X58 Sabertooth from ASUS.

5 year warranty, PLENTY of overclocking options, USB 3 and SATA 6GB support. Only $190 at NewEgg right now. Great board. I paired it with an i7 950 that I run at 4GHz comfortably on air with a $40 CPU cooler.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Approved Member

Thumbs up great input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMF View Post
Wonder why you've chosen x58? You don't plan to put a faster CPU in your system in the future? Is it a system that'll be discarded?
First, thank you all for the additional replies. Much appreciated.

JAMF, I chose the X58 some months ago when I purchased a (then) new i7-920 processor. It's been my misfortune since then to put everything else on hold (again!!) for personal reasons (medical + $$ for the bills). Only now do I see light at the end of a very long tunnel. As luck would have it, just to share, I just had tissue samples taken from my lungs yesterday, and am awaiting biopsy results. Meanwhile, I dream of the day I can return to the virtual skies. My processor sits on a shelf while I get my health together.
Flyby out
PS, let me add that this forum has helped sustain my appreciation for IL2. I actually have IL2-1946, but have never had a gaming system to load it on (as mine crashed before it came out). I had bought all earlier versions concluding with Forgotten Battles and really got into online play with full-real settings. I also have Rise of Flight and Wings of Prey. Might as well support the genre, eh?

Might as well ask about speedy hard drives. I don't think SSDs help gaming from waht I've read on the DCS forums. Can someone speak to a HDD that is SATA 6 rated? For gaming, is a smaller HDD better than a humongus (1TB) Hdd for accessing data? Or is the amopunt of cache ram more inmportant? Or both?

Last edited by Flyby; 02-11-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliocon View Post
Yes and no. Problem is DDR3 ram wont seem any faster if you have a crap harddrive which is needing to be paged and therefore bottlenecking the ram. If you get DDR2 prepare to upgrade in the next year because cpu clocks have begun to climb again and the new cpu's are 32nm which means you get a bigger benefit from high clocks.
Yes exactly. SSD's are the way of the future, and there are even a few SATA III versions floating around the market right now. I believe Crutial has a 64gb version out now for about $125 on Newegg. Is it necessary? Probably not really for gaming, but it will let you take advantage of all the fast and extremely cheap DDR3 RAM out there now days. I plan on investing in one when I upgrade my videocard/PSU here in a couple months.

As far as the Mobo goes, I've always had good luck with MSI products. Gigabyte also is very good. Very good price/performance and good reliability from what I've heard. And the x58 chipset should be pretty good for awhile yet. But once the H67/P67 chipsets get fixed, then that'll be the way to go for graphical performance. The Sandy Bridge processors are going to be awesome!! Be sure! I might even hold out for the Ivy Bridge series though...

Another something crazy to look forward to in the future:
http://www.techspot.com/news/41818-s...efficient.html
- 2500k @ 4.8Ghz Lapped IHS - AsRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - MSI GTX 560 Ti 2Gb - Crutial M4 SATA3 64Gb SSD - 8Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz @ 8-8-8-21 RAM - Silverstone 750w Fully Modular PSU - Antec 1200 ATX Case - Zalman 9700 Cooler - Win7 Ultimate x64 -
Old 02-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma74 View Post
Yes exactly. SSD's are the way of the future, and there are even a few SATA III versions floating around the market right now. I believe Crutial has a 64gb version out now for about $125 on Newegg. Is it necessary? Probably not really for gaming, but it will let you take advantage of all the fast and extremely cheap DDR3 RAM out there now days. I plan on investing in one when I upgrade my videocard/PSU here in a couple months.

As far as the Mobo goes, I've always had good luck with MSI products. Gigabyte also is very good. Very good price/performance and good reliability from what I've heard. And the x58 chipset should be pretty good for awhile yet. But once the H67/P67 chipsets get fixed, then that'll be the way to go for graphical performance. The Sandy Bridge processors are going to be awesome!! Be sure! I might even hold out for the Ivy Bridge series though...

Another something crazy to look forward to in the future:
http://www.techspot.com/news/41818-s...efficient.html
SSD instead of HDD will likely only lower your load times. It will have almost ZERO effect on your FPS.