Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 02-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Approved Member

I learned in flight school that the rudder is used counter spin wise to stop the turning.
My tests in CoD confirmed that for me.

For the ailerons, in a spin there is no airflow over them because the plane is stalled.

Usually the rudder is the only working control in a spin, the elevators really start working when the spin is stopped and last the ailerons start to function when the plane is out of the stall
Old 02-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Approved Member

Ah, I think when I was doing it I had to put rudder in the opposite direction, that is, if I put the rudder right to put me in to the spin, I had to put it left to get me out of it. If I kept it right it never even started to recover before I hit the ground starting from fairly high up (whatever the altitude of the first default quick mission is, the free flight out over the sea). I'm not sure if that's what you mean by turning in to it? Since as I said, putting the rudder right if right rudder induced the spin doesn't have any effect at all for me. The way I just described it (rudder opposite to the direction that started the spin) has exactly the same effect that it had when you did it in the video, meaning the plane spins a bit more, but slower, then comes out quite quickly, the nose gives a little bob and the tail flicks a bit and then you can pull out, so perhaps that is what you were doing too? The other way just causes it to spin faster and the tail to buck around a bit but never shows any sign of recovery before, as I said, I ended up in the sea.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Approved Member

thank Freycinet it is very good thank a lot

Bye Ivo.

My Pc:
Vista 32 bit
Asus P5E3
intel core 2 quad Q 6600 2,40 Ghz.
Ati 5770
memory DDR3 4 GB.
HD 250 GB
Sound Blaster
Old 02-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Approved Member

Here a copy/paste out of a Spitfire MkII manual...

Spit Spin.jpg

So it looks like the "official" Air Ministry way is opposite rudder. Sorry, I missed that Frey.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Approved Member

Ailerons can be quite significant to spin recovery, behaviour varies with aircraft but neutral aileron is the recommendation in all cases.

Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition
Old 02-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Approved Member

I actually now think that I applied opposite rudder in the movie. I have amended it to reflect that...
Old 02-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Approved Member

Says the same here:
http://www.fourthfightergroup.com/eagles/spit2.html

Luckily I could correct it pretty easily in my video. Thanks for pointing out my brain-fart guys!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post
Ailerons can be quite significant to spin recovery, behaviour varies with aircraft but neutral aileron is the recommendation in all cases.
My bad, for initial recovery, afaik, everything neutral except the rudder which is used counterrotationwise.

Some crates need quite a lot additional input, like extending flaps, releasing tip tanks or extending the gear.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GFlea View Post
Here a copy/paste out of a Spitfire MkII manual...

Attachment 8546

So it looks like the "official" Air Ministry way is opposite rudder. Sorry, I missed that Frey.
From the proverbial horse's mouth. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Tvrdi

Very nice Freycinet. Thank you. Will you do that for the 109 too?