Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 04-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

Thanks both Jimbosmith and 609_Huetz! That is what I've tried as well but no success... Well, I'm off trying again when I'm home after work... (Strange)
Old 04-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Approved Member

I knew it!!!
That blasted 88 and the Blenheim with their obscured controls, i spent 10 minutes on each one trying to get them to start and i couldn't find what was missing

Thanks for the tutorials. A small question about mixture too. I'm not going to comment on the Hurricane since there's obviously something funky going on with the way mixture works, possibly a bug: pressing the increase mixture key actually corresponds to moving the lever forward which leans the mixture, but on the other RAF aircraft with reversed mixture levers (eg, the Tiger Moth) it does increase the mixture correctly by moving the lever aft.

So, with that out of the way, is there a reason for pre-leaning the mixture on the Tiger Moth and Spitfire? I'm asking because starts are usually done with full rich, except when taking off from a high elevation airfield.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:56 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the tutorials. Next problem: How to get the plane off the ground?

I managed to start Blenheim IV engines using your instructions, but when I start revving the engines after they've heated up enough, the plane is just turning to the right (i have both engines selected so throttle is affecting them both). Even with maximum throttle the plane is moving forward very very slowly and turning right. I've checked wheel brakes and they are off. Has anyone managed to get the plane up in the air?
Old 04-05-2011, 03:51 AM
Approved Member

I tried the Blenheim after watching the videos, it does try to run away sideways

The trick here is not to slam the throttle. I think it yaws to the right, so you can also use some differential thrust by adding more power on the starboard engine. Advance throttles to a moderately high setting, for example -2 or -1 psi boost, then press shift F2 (at least if you are using the default key commands) to select engine 2 and give it maybe an inch of extra boost. This way your no.1 engine reads -2 to -1 and your no.2 reads -1 to 0 psi boost.

Just to clarify, these are measured relative to ambient pressure on a standard day, so zero boost is equal to the ambient pressure, or 1 Ata for the German aircraft or approximately 30 inches HG for US aircraft, or 760mm HG for the Italian ones. So, zero boost is by no means low power, it's actually full power minus the supercharger (that one can go above ambient pressure).

Anyway, once you do the above little trick with the differential thrust, kick the rudders in or add rudder trim and let it start rolling and pick up some speed. If you slam the throttles to the stops you'll get a whole lot of torque and no means to counter it.

However, if you let it accelerate to 20-40 mph before going flat out, there will be some airflow over the rudder to make it effective and you can also use differential wheel brakes if you really need some last moment corrections. The differential engine thrust is just meant to keep you pointing straight until you get to that speed.

After that, select both engines (default keys are shift ~) and gently push the throttles the remainder of the way. I usually don't trim the nose up until i've lifted the tail off the ground but your mileage may vary. Make sure you've warmed up to at least 40-50 degrees oil temperature so that the engines run smooth and the propeller governors work well, otherwise your RPM will be jumping all over the place and causing asymmetric thrust (radials are harder to start in cold conditions and take longer to warm-up due to being air-cooled).

Important: Turn OFF your carb heat before the take-off run. It's one thing to pre-heat them to help those air-cooled radials start, but leaving it on robs you of power: hot air is less dense-->you get less air density for the same amount of fuel-->it's like running on super-extra-lean mixture.

I tried starting up the Blenheim after watching the videos, did it fine and naturally i tried to take-off. I botched it because i didn't expect it to yaw that much but i was able to control it, even when improvising the above method on the spot. I didn't make it because i didn't want to restart the mission so i ended up clipping a wing on a hangar, but i did manage to keep it going straight and reach take-off speed despite the initial surprise.

I think that with prior knowledge of my failure and the conclusions from it you'll do fine
Old 04-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kianoni View Post
well, I think it's a bummer we have to figure this out by ourselfs.. even the RAF pilots from the time had more instructions how to do things as we have now.
anyways, I might seem to be ranting a lot but I really love the sim so far
masterpiece anyway with these flaws.

i agree. im waiting till i can get hands on easy to follow checklists for each plane.

but the videos are a great help as well! cheers
Old 04-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Approved Member

Hurricane Mixture is reversed and is an acknowledged bug. Use Lean position for Rich and vice versa until it is fixed. If you open an ifno windopw and select Engine you'll see what I mean.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 4GHz / 6Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX570 GPU 1.28Gb superclocked / Crucial 128Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s, 355Mb-215Mb Read-Write / 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680 x 1050 / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro & Rudders
Old 04-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
I tried the Blenheim after watching the videos, it does try to run away sideways

The trick here is not to slam the throttle. I think it yaws to the right, so you can also use some differential thrust by adding more power on the starboard engine. Advance throttles to a moderately high setting, for example -2 or -1 psi boost, then press shift F2 (at least if you are using the default key commands) to select engine 2 and give it maybe an inch of extra boost. This way your no.1 engine reads -2 to -1 and your no.2 reads -1 to 0 psi boost.

Just to clarify, these are measured relative to ambient pressure on a standard day, so zero boost is equal to the ambient pressure, or 1 Ata for the German aircraft or approximately 30 inches HG for US aircraft, or 760mm HG for the Italian ones. So, zero boost is by no means low power, it's actually full power minus the supercharger (that one can go above ambient pressure).

Anyway, once you do the above little trick with the differential thrust, kick the rudders in or add rudder trim and let it start rolling and pick up some speed. If you slam the throttles to the stops you'll get a whole lot of torque and no means to counter it.

However, if you let it accelerate to 20-40 mph before going flat out, there will be some airflow over the rudder to make it effective and you can also use differential wheel brakes if you really need some last moment corrections. The differential engine thrust is just meant to keep you pointing straight until you get to that speed.

After that, select both engines (default keys are shift ~) and gently push the throttles the remainder of the way. I usually don't trim the nose up until i've lifted the tail off the ground but your mileage may vary. Make sure you've warmed up to at least 40-50 degrees oil temperature so that the engines run smooth and the propeller governors work well, otherwise your RPM will be jumping all over the place and causing asymmetric thrust (radials are harder to start in cold conditions and take longer to warm-up due to being air-cooled).

Important: Turn OFF your carb heat before the take-off run. It's one thing to pre-heat them to help those air-cooled radials start, but leaving it on robs you of power: hot air is less dense-->you get less air density for the same amount of fuel-->it's like running on super-extra-lean mixture.
Well, I did everything you said, warmed up the engines, got it rolling pretty straight and spooled up for take off. Halfway the take off run engine 2 died on me, shortle after that eng 1 followed to spool down.
I just cannot fly the thing.
Is there enyone that can enlighten me?
Old 04-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Blackdog_kt!

I managed to do a successful take-off on a first try using your instructions.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Approved Member

Is there a guide to the Bf110?

thanks

GH
Old 04-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Approved Member

Thank you for these helpful videos.

I am however still upset for the developers not including illustrated start or cockpit guides in either the printed handbook of the collectors edition or else.

If I had been working on these advanced features I would have been proud to teach them to the gamers and show other game developers how my product is set apart!

I know, time, small team, etc pp. Still, complex engine management is a core function and the documentation as it comes is poor and leads to unneccessary frustration.