Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:48 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTE_Galway View Post
meh ... effete girly spitfire

if you must post youtube flybys you have to post something like this that includes a DB powered 109 with that ominous and distinctive DB "whistle"

on a side note its getting harder and harder to find real WWII footage, youtube is getting spammed by IL2 tracks these days
Agreed, the Merlin is no match for the 605... Great clip by the way, not having any air show safety distances
Old 10-29-2010, 07:04 AM
Approved Member

Default While we wait gentlemen

Yes the DB is certainly nice sounding.

I did my sevice on MTB:s with three Isotta Frachinis W18 airplane engines that had similar compressor construction as the DB:s, one on each side at 90 deg from the main-shaft, and they had the same whining sound when running idle. At full throttle you couldn't hear yourself think.
The Merlin have, iirc, the compressor mounted in line with the main-shaft at the aft end of the engine and this is probably the reason to why they sound so differently.

Regards
Viking
Old 10-29-2010, 07:21 AM
Approved Member

I prefer this one:

Old 10-29-2010, 07:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo'bar View Post
I presume that you do know this is not real?

As for the useless RR Merlin vs. Daimler Benz debate - I prefer them both. It just depends what I will be flying. Saying how one is a no match for other etc. is childish IMO.

Back to the topic - fingers crossed that Oleg shows us some audio&video materials. But as Luke says, he doesn't need to be reminded.

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories
Old 10-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Approved Member

Talking Nagging pays off

See! It made a different to remind him!

Regards
Viking
Old 10-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Approved Member

It's all about karma it seems! We got a video with some sound!

I kind of like the dampened sound actually. Although I would have imagined the cockpit to be a bit noisier.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Approved Member

Default my mojo must be pretty strong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madfish View Post

I kind of like the dampened sound actually. Although I would have imagined the cockpit to be a bit noisier.
So much for nay-sayers! Mojo, karma, lucky chicken bone, coincidence, whatever; Oleg came through, and we all love it. No he doesn't need to be reminded (as someone here pronounced), but I always say "if ya don't ask, they can't tell ya NO!"
BTW, I liked the video and the sound. The sim is going to be a blast to play, and I can hardly wait!!
Flyby out
Old 10-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:

Most people have this cool feature on their speaker systems where if they turn the knob the noise coming from said speaker system becomes louder.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
Most people have this cool feature on their speaker systems where if they turn the knob the noise coming from said speaker system becomes louder.

Haha - Well, some people have a feature where if they turn the knob of their speakers to make them louder suddenly a long haired demon manifests behind them and kicks their butt until they make it quieter again

What I meant is that the sound is still relatively clean. It's hard to describe. Maybe I should just put on my headset and turn up the volume ;P

But then again, when the spit fires my whole room starts to shake from the guns. In normal flight though it sounds as if there wasn't any bass at all? What do you guys think about the sound? I've never flown inside a spit so I can't tell how real it sounds anyways.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Haha - Well, some people have a feature where if they turn the knob of their speakers to make them louder suddenly a long haired demon manifests behind them and kicks their butt until they make it quieter again

What I meant is that the sound is still relatively clean. It's hard to describe. Maybe I should just put on my headset and turn up the volume ;P

But then again, when the spit fires my whole room starts to shake from the guns. In normal flight though it sounds as if there wasn't any bass at all? What do you guys think about the sound? I've never flown inside a spit so I can't tell how real it sounds anyways.
Hahaha yeah I can imagine that could happen as well

The couple of times I've been up flying (mind you not in a Spitfire) the ear protection muffles pretty much everything. It's still noisy but what I heard wasn't unlike the sound in the video. I imagine external view is much noisier.. To be honest while playing the game you don't want to feel fatigued because of some really irritating sounds so I like the approach.