Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Old 05-20-2012, 05:22 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for the feedback.

These injectFxaa post-processing effects can be switched on and off using the pause button on a keyboard, much easier for me than changing the colour settings on my monitor when switching between IL2 and general viewing. Also, some of the more extreme effects that people might like to use, and that I haven't shown in the pictures I posted, just aren't possible via monitor adjustments alone.

I adjusted the colours on an S-PVA monitor that's been calibrated using a Datacolor Spyder3. The colours I'm seeing are pretty accurate, and even disregarding my general preference for colder, clearer imagery, I think the colour settings the game's using at the moment are just a bit off. I'm basing that opinion not just on what I'm seeing in-game now but on how it used to look in previous versions as well. In the past it's been too brown and then too blue, and now it seems too yellow.

It is true that this kind of post-processing effect changes the colour of everything from the flowers to the clouds, and so it's still up to the developers to set those internal colour relationships. The point is though, this injectFxaa utility is an easy way for anyone, with any monitor type or colour preference, to adjust the overall colour temperature and shadow strength to whatever suits them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Launcher 2012-05-21 03-55-43-77.jpg (293.3 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg Launcher 2012-05-21 04-03-42-60.jpg (300.1 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg Launcher 2012-05-21 04-08-44-50.jpg (301.2 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg Launcher 2012-05-21 04-25-09-58.jpg (284.3 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg Launcher 2012-05-21 04-46-35-31.jpg (278.0 KB, 171 views)

Last edited by Les; 05-20-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Approved Member

i want only the aa
what i have to download and put to my game folder
Old 05-20-2012, 11:33 PM
Approved Member

Sorry Skouras, I thought you were just joking before about how bad the AA is in the game.

The pictures I've posted here have been reduced in resolution by 50%, which makes the game look smoother than it does when actually playing it. So even with the FXAA applied it won't look as good as these pictures.

If you still want to try it, the first folder I've attached to this post - FXAA PPI Rev 37. contains the main files you need. The second folder contains some settings that switch off all the injectFxx effects except the FX anti-aliasing.

Open up the first 'FXAA PPI Rev 37' folder, copy the contents from the folder of whatever version of DirectX you're using, and paste them into the folder where you have your Cliiffs Of Dover exe. installed (eg. Local Disk C:/Steam/steamapps/common/il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover).

Then copy the contents of the second folder I've attached here and put that settings file in the same place (eg. Local Disk C:/Steam/steamapps/common/il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover), overwriting and replacing the default injectFxaa settings.

To see what effect the FXAA has in-game, press the Pause/Break/ScrLk button on your keyboard on and off when looking at something like the edge of a cockpit window (if your keyboard has one, you may have to press the 'F Lock' button first or your Pause/Break/ScrLk button won't be switching the effect on and off).
Attached Files
File Type: zip FXAA_PPI_Rev_37.zip (134.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: zip injFX_Settings AA only No colour changes or effects.zip (1.8 KB, 55 views)
Old 05-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Approved Member

I' not seeing any AA effect from this.. i'll have to have a mess about with it.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Approved Member

thank you very much
you were very helpful
salute buddy..
Old 05-21-2012, 04:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTommy View Post
I' not seeing any AA effect from this.. i'll have to have a mess about with it.
It can be hard to see the effect sometimes as it only smooths out some edges. I posted some example pictures here - http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...=25281&page=10

If you install the files I included in my first post and aren't seeing any change to the look of the game at all then it mustn't be working, as the default injectFxx settings change all the colours of the game too and the difference should be obvious.

If that's the case, make sure you're opening up the correct DirectX folder in the injectFxx package (the DirectX10 one if you're using the latest beta patch) and dropping the four or five files within it directly into your Steam/Cliffs Of Dover game folder (not your Cliffs Of Dover user documents folder), not just putting the whole DirectX folder in there.

Also make sure your 'Pause/Break/ScrLk' button isn't being Switched to 'F' mode by your keyboards 'F Lock' button and making it's injectFxx on/off function inoperable.

On another note, here are some more shots comparing the default colour/contrast settings to my preferred ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01combined.jpg (154.7 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 02combined.jpg (161.7 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by Les; 05-21-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:03 PM
Approved Member

I had some more comparison pictures to show, but there's a limit to five attachments per post and I can't be bothered uploading the pictures to an image-hosting site, then linking to them here to enable the pictures (and more of them per post) to show up without clicking on them, so...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03combined.jpg (106.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 04combined.jpg (141.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 05combined.jpg (157.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 06combined.jpg (157.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 07combined.jpg (120.3 KB, 71 views)
Old 05-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Approved Member

Not saying the adjustments I've made are perfect, or even more realistic, am just pleased to have found a way to make the game look more like how I want it to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08combined.jpg (112.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 09combined.jpg (84.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 10combined.jpg (189.5 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 11combined.jpg (219.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 12combined.jpg (216.4 KB, 86 views)
Old 05-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Approved Member

And finally...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13combined.jpg (219.7 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 14combined.jpg (102.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 15combined.jpg (249.2 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg 16combined.jpg (157.7 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg 17combined.jpg (216.1 KB, 218 views)
Old 05-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
It can be hard to see the effect sometimes as it only smooths out some edges. I posted some example pictures here - http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...=25281&page=10

If you install the files I included in my first post and aren't seeing any change to the look of the game at all then it mustn't be working, as the default injectFxx settings change all the colours of the game too and the difference should be obvious.

If that's the case, make sure you're opening up the correct DirectX folder in the injectFxx package (the DirectX10 one if you're using the latest beta patch) and dropping the four or five files within it directly into your Steam/Cliffs Of Dover game folder (not your Cliffs Of Dover user documents folder), not just putting the whole DirectX folder in there.

Also make sure your 'Pause/Break/ScrLk' button isn't being Switched to 'F' mode by your keyboards 'F Lock' button and making it's injectFxx on/off function inoperable.

On another note, here are some more shots comparing the default colour/contrast settings to my preferred ones.
Cheers, its working, I notice a big difference in colours and such but very little in AA. I'm happy with that as i hated the colours in CloD and have a calibrated monitor for print work, so changing monitor setting just for the game would give me issues for my work. So being able to tweak the colours it excellent. I've had a play about with different AA setting and none seem to make much difference. Maybe there is a very subtle effect, but not enough to be noticed by me. Maybe the effect is different for different graphic cards. I'm on a Nvidia GTX 480..