Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Approved Member

Looks like we are all reading something different into what Luthier has posted. As I read it C.o.D. will be abandoned after the final "Steam" patch, no more content just as the original Il2 was.
The sequel with the new engine will include the content from C.o.D. (or most of it) as a stand alone with further expansion being able to merge with this (as in FB, AEP and Pacific Fighters).
What we need is a playable demo of the new sequel to gain some confidence back that it will perform as advertised before we lay out our hard earned dollars for it. Most of us, especially those with Sli/Crossfire have been extreemly disappointed with the support we have had with this sim especially after the promises going back to April 2011.

Asus M4N98TD-EVO
AMD Phenom2 965 x 4 3.4gig
8gig DDR3 Ram
2x GTS 450 Sli (1gig each)
1Tb HDD Partitioned x 5
700w Coolermaster single rail P/S 52a
Windows 7 64bit
19" Samsung 931BW monitor
1280 x 960 Resolution
Old 10-03-2012, 08:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRuski View Post
Looks like we are all reading something different into what Luthier has posted. As I read it C.o.D. will be abandoned after the final "Steam" patch, no more content just as the original Il2 was.
The sequel with the new engine will include the content from C.o.D. (or most of it) as a stand alone with further expansion being able to merge with this (as in FB, AEP and Pacific Fighters).
What we need is a playable demo of the new sequel to gain some confidence back that it will perform as advertised before we lay out our hard earned dollars for it. Most of us, especially those with Sli/Crossfire have been extreemly disappointed with the support we have had with this sim especially after the promises going back to April 2011.
I don't know if the sequel will give, free of charge, CoD to the sequel buyers or of it will benefit CoD by simply overwriting the core elements. Personally I have invested too much time and wishful thinking to abandon CoD if buying the sequel means not only an extension to the series but a fixing of core issues in CoD. Luthiers comments about 'no more fixes under the CoD project' seems to be talking about 'project funding' and no more is available for CoD but under the sequels's project funding it sounds as though things are being done to improve many aspects that will also benefit CoD.

And yes, a playable demo or even a limited beta accessible by registered testers (as was MS Flight and World of Planes) would be nice.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 4GHz / 6Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX570 GPU 1.28Gb superclocked / Crucial 128Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s, 355Mb-215Mb Read-Write / 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680 x 1050 / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro & Rudders
Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Approved Member

Uh, guys? Luthier has stated that the sequel will not merge into CLOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthier View Post
Quote:
Can the sequel be merged with COD like the original il2 series and if it can will we get to test features that will be appearing in the sequel I.e. Weather etc.
This question Ilya! Please confirm that the sequel will be able to be merged with our current game as in all previous IL2 releases.
Definitely not planning to release any sequel features as add-ons for Cliffs of Dover, sorry.
CLOD is dead. Give it up.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Tree_UK

Here's my take on things, Luthier has already stated that he is a business man, its all about the money, this is why CLOD will be abandoned. So it would make no financial sense at all to have a sequel that features the content of CLOD, the sequel if installed over CLOD will give you all content and update/fix CLOD (we hope), if you dont have CLOD you just get the Russian stuff, I bet later down the line you will be able to buy the merged pack too. It makes a lot of financial sense for Luthier to not fix CLOD, if CLOD was fixed and working fully right now with a better netcode how many of us would buy the Russian add on?? Now we have no choice but to buy it if we want to get our game working, like Luthier said, ITS BUSINESS.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDoggles View Post
Uh, guys? Luthier has stated that the sequel will not merge into CLOD.

CLOD is dead. Give it up.
COD doesn't have to merge with the Sequel. The Sequel will have all of COD's content, which amounts to exactly the same thing as a merge. It will include the COD maps and missions, Russian maps and missions, and whatever improvements they've made to the game engine/features like the, AI, AI Commands, FM, DM, GUI, Clouds/Weather, and SDK etc. If the improvements are good enough the Sequel will sell, if they aren't the Sequel will join the dead Standalone COD.
Asus GTX580 Direct CU II
60gigSSD with only Windows7 64bit, Hotas Peripherals, and COD running on it
500gig HD Dual Boot
Samsung 32"LG 120hz
MSFF2 Joystick
Cougar Throttle
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
Track IR 5 ProClip
Old 10-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
COD doesn't have to merge with the Sequel. The Sequel will have all of COD's content, which amounts to exactly the same thing as a merge. It will include the COD maps and missions, Russian maps and missions, and whatever improvements they've made to the game engine/features like the, AI, AI Commands, FM, DM, GUI, Clouds/Weather, and SDK etc
I certainly hope that is the case.. but it is all as clear as mud. As is apparent from different people's interpretation.

If the sequel does not include the map & planes for a BoB scenario they will loose a lot of potential sales. Me for one. I want to fly Spitfires & Hurricanes over England.. simple as that. I have no interest in a Russian front.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
Here's my take on things, Luthier has already stated that he is a business man, its all about the money, this is why CLOD will be abandoned. So it would make no financial sense at all to have a sequel that features the content of CLOD, the sequel if installed over CLOD will give you all content and update/fix CLOD (we hope), if you dont have CLOD you just get the Russian stuff, I bet later down the line you will be able to buy the merged pack too. It makes a lot of financial sense for Luthier to not fix CLOD, if CLOD was fixed and working fully right now with a better netcode how many of us would buy the Russian add on?? Now we have no choice but to buy it if we want to get our game working, like Luthier said, ITS BUSINESS.
err couldn't disagree more with your evaluation of what is good for their business. They don't have to fix CloD to include the maps & planes from CloD in the sequel. The present FM issues in CloD are due to the borked backbone of the game. Which they will have to fix for the sequel, therefore adding the planes & map should not be of any real expense to them and will only increase the appeal of the sequel and therefore increase sales, its all business.

If they don't fix the backbone of the engine the sequel will be a disaster anyway. Hence why there is no way in hell i'll be buying the sequel on release. I'll be eagerly waiting for impartial reviews before i touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Last edited by MadTommy; 10-03-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTommy View Post
err couldn't disagree more with your evaluation of what is good for their business. They don't have to fix CloD to include the maps & planes from CloD in the sequel. The present FM issues in CloD are due to the borked backbone of the game. Which they will have to fix for the sequel, therefore adding the planes & map should not be of any real expense to them and will only increase the appeal of the sequel and therefore increase sales, its all business.

If they don't fix the backbone of the engine the sequel will be a disaster anyway. Hence why there is no way in hell i'll be buying the sequel on release. I'll be eagerly waiting for impartial reviews before i touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Wow, sounds like you are very good with finances.

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 10-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Approved Member

I don’t understand what all the confusion is about, perhaps reading too much into luthier’s syntax. He has stated many times that their intention was to continue with this series the same way they did with the original one, whether this will happen will only be known in the future.

The original IL2 was ‘abandoned’, wasn’t it? You had to buy the sequel to get an update. Pacific Fighters was also ‘abandoned’ in that it cannot be updated beyond 4.07 – you need to buy ’46 to get any further updates. And the last version included the content of all of the previous versions.

I don’t think that this term is particularly apt in these circumstances, although it probably sounds suitably dramatic from a certain viewpoint.

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 | AMD FX-8350 | MSI HD7970 TFOC-BE | 8GB Corsair DDR-III 1866 | Win8.1 Pro 64-bit
Old 10-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
The Sequel will have all of COD's content, which amounts to exactly the same thing as a merge. It will include the COD maps and missions, Russian maps and missions, and whatever improvements they've made to the game engine/features like the, AI, AI Commands, FM, DM, GUI, Clouds/Weather, and SDK etc.
Your opinion, stated as fact, as usual.
Closed Thread