Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:27 PM
Approved Member

All I've seen from SoW/Il2CoD so far of course

And there's no doubt that the railway will be stunning!

Il-2 < v4.10 doesn't have anything one could call "Railway", lol.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiskey-Charlie View Post
7)[/B] Improved scaling (When flying close to another plane for example, the object should be a bit larger. If scaling according to distance was more spot on then would / should never need to zoom in or out.
Our monitors are much smaller than the instrument panels and windows in an aircaft, so we have to zoom out to fit much in. That means we have to zoom back in to get a good view of the aircraft we're shooting.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
Our monitors are much smaller than the instrument panels and windows in an aircaft, so we have to zoom out to fit much in. That means we have to zoom back in to get a good view of the aircraft we're shooting.
With full 3D cockpits it should be possible to move the view backwards and then zoom in for people who prefer this, so the instrument panel is more or less visible as in Il2, but the outside world appears "bigger".

Il2 uses the same mathematics as any other 3D game, and the scaling is perfectly correct according to field of view, object size and distances. In fact this isn't even part of the graphics engine itself, but all done by OpenGL. I think there are a handful of objects which don't have the right size but that's it. You can expect Cliffs of Dover to work the same way, except that it should be more flexible to find a comfortable position/zoom balance.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Approved Member

1) Clickable cockpits.

2) Realistic engine operation that require realistic use of throttle, mixture, prop-feather, radiator, and so on.

3) Realistic use of weapons. Not just press button "a" for fire guns, button "b" for droping a bomb. If some lever/s or switch/es have to be moved or pressed previously for droping a bomb or firing guns, i want it modeled.

4) Air battles with lots of airplanes in the air.

5) Realistic ATC.

6) Realistic airfield operations. Start up on taxiway and roll to the airfield for taking off, and things like that.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:04 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane View Post
unfortunatley most video's we have seen of COD over terrain show this very thing happening, Hopefully its something that will be sorted before release, otherwise we haven't come very far.
Cliffs of Dover already has a lot more ground objects than Il2, so at some distance they have to become invisible or perfomance will take a nosedive. The render area increases with the square of the distance, so for twice the view range you have four times as many objects to render. And you can't do much with LODs or - in case someone suggests this - tessellation, as the house objects are already pretty much as simple as it gets.

I hope CoD will be more flexible though to set this distance for people with powerful systems. But there's no real solution to this problem except raw GPU power. Lock On fades in the objects so pop-ups aren't as obvious, but people regularly complain about this ("I see transparent houses, please fix this bug").
Old 01-30-2011, 08:12 PM
Approved Member

Default Looking forward, yea

Quote:
mods!
Oh yea, I forgot, MODS for CoD are ok now right? Not a dirty word we can't use anymore? Need ta add that one to my list of things looking forward to.

Quote:
Why do you think that this wont happen in the new engine?
My logic for thinking that there will not be objects popping in and out anymore is because I have played Wings of Prey. Hear me out. Of course aircraft have to appear at some point in time, I am really speaking about ground objects. The quality of ground objects in WoP are head over heals better than IL2, the amount of objects in WoP are a bazillion to one compared to IL2 and they do not pop in and out ever. I have not noticed one object just suddenly appear or disappear. If the amount of objects in WoP were in IL2 it would bring my PC to its knees in about 2 seconds. So how can this be? I have to believe it is a new engine that utilizes my hardware better than that of the old IL2 engine. If Mr Oleg's CoD is going to be the cadillac of flight sims as advertised I just think that it should handle objects at least as well as does WoP. But of course I can understand the points Krakens made from a previous post that if there is more calculations going on in CoD than that of WoP then it's going to require more resources from my PC. And I know an object has to disappear at a certain distance. That is fine, I am mainly talking about close up objects, approaching a town and at close range buildings and the like just start popping in like I dream of Jeannie. The maps in WoP may be small but there are a hell of lot of objects that exist and a hell of a lot of tank & aircraft activity within the missions, much more than any IL2 mission I have seen. If large maps are going to cause CoD to behave like IL2 then I say give me smaller maps

I look forward to Matt & Lance list happening as well. Sounds good.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Approved Member

You need to look harder then, objects do pop in WoP, you also need to consider the very limited area of object detail in WoP, what we have seen in CoD shots shows trees and forests all the way to the horizon, something you do not see in WoP where the horizon is a low resolution trade off.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo'bar View Post
Simply two things:

1. engine sounds wich sound like real engines even on no high end systems,
2. real looking detonations.

All the rest I've seen so far is good enough for me
Ill second that .

Last edited by fireflyerz; 01-30-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: trtyjeryeriyeryjerjyejejyjeyeyeoyoeyjoyj ejy 2w46i\=w0y \ey
Old 01-30-2011, 10:59 PM
Approved Member

Hey, Foo'bar, I'm really looking forward to see your great work in CoD , mate.
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:11 PM
Approved Member

1. Realistic engine management
2. Realistic FM
3. Realistic DM