Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:03 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG-09 View Post
Oleg, please look here:

I see a huge treat... Coming from above...

Thats what meant when I was saying all these years, that going deep in to the simulation is the proper way of wining the Battle for the Sky... Not many aircrafts, but a few, but excellent.

So, Oleg check Your 6...

~S!
Looks interesting but each sim has it's place and IL-2 is so appealing because there is a LARGE number of aircraft simulated. Depth is important but in this area so is breadth. It's great to be able to simulate so many different battle areas (some that are commonly neglected) and I hope for more of the same with Storm of War.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:50 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Tenn View Post
that thing is so cool, screensaver or not, its so cool to try and start it up but engine number 4 won't get enough oil pressure so u gotta keep cranking it till it does, or u mess up and kill ur battery in 2 minutes cause u turn all ur lights on, or ur flying along and all of a sudden one of ur superchargers goes nuts and you fry a single cylinder on an engine... not to mention the fact that ur supercharger just died on that engine... or stuff like that... its not just u fly around... you gotta keep ur plane maintained and keep an eye on everything, cause u never know how worn down the parts are or how quickly they'll wear.

but its no threat to SOW... FSX is designed for simulating single aircraft (yes i realize there's multiplayer too), but not a whole battlefield, with tanks, bombs, bullets, etc...

I think having bombers in SoW with the A2A level realism would be doable, but could you imagine dogfighting while having to keep an eye on so much stuff as well as having to worry about wear on pretty much every single part of your plane too...
You mean, like they actually had to do in reality?

I'm all for having to manage things like that while fighting, because it will force people to fight in a realistic manner. When you know you'll blow your engine by diving a mere 5000 feet due to the increase in air pressure, it won't be long before everyone learns to adjust important bits before commiting to the attack. What does that mean? That unless i can judge engine operating limits by ear, i will either have to keep my eyes on the manifold pressure gauge (not too good when i'm trying to BnZ someone) or forget about prolonged full throttle dives and reduce my throttle a bit before i even dive.

And this is actually the essence of how pilots came to be divided into rookies, experienced ones, talented ones, or simply mediocre but careful/succesful ones, not by some arbitrary stat but by the variety of factors that forced them to evolve their individual styles.
Someone might be a terrible shot but be an expert on pushing the aircraft to its limits without breaking it, enabling him to get that tracking shot and score his kills. Meanwhile, another guy might be unskilled in maneuvering and multi-tasking the operating limits during combat, but he's such a meticulous planner and knows when to press the trigger that their scores are similar.

More things to worry about is something i look forward to, because a) the enemy has to worry about the same things so we're on an equal footing (i could be bailing due to a row of broken cylinder heads, but i could also be getting a kill on someone who did the same) and b)it will lead into an evolution of many skill subsets and personal styles when flying online.

The only counter-arguments are development time/cost (but it's been confirmed already that we'll be getting such complexity in SoW) and the fact that the interface to control all those knobs and buttons might be lacking. On the other hand, A2A does a very clever thing and doesn't force you to use one method. In fact, if we get multi-engined bombers later on in SoW, i would be all for copying their interface.
You can pan around with TrackIR and click stuff in the virtual cockpit, you can assign it to your HOTAS/keyboard, or you can just bring up the pop-up command panel and have all the main controls neatly groupped up regardless of your keyboard layout or wether you can bend your neck enough to pan and click with trackIR (for those hard to reach switches). There's 3 ways to use every single one of the important functions and you can also use all 3 of them at the same time, so everyone will be able to find something that's comfortable for them.

Yes, i really can't wait until i get to manage all that stuff, have to worry about wear and tear and also have enemy fighters intercept me, because it gives me something challenging to do even when the enemy fighters have returned to base
Old 06-07-2010, 06:24 AM
Approved Member

Even if the A2A B17 had a combat area to fly in it would be no threat too Olegs sim, but it could give some few hours of enjoyment to those that fly civilian and combat flight sims. It takes more than just an aircraft to make a sim, just ask those that flew B17 11. It had alot of potential.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
Even if the A2A B17 had a combat area to fly in it would be no threat too Olegs sim, but it could give some few hours of enjoyment to those that fly civilian and combat flight sims. It takes more than just an aircraft to make a sim, just ask those that flew B17 11. It had alot of potential.
No it doesn't , jeez ever tried DCS Black Shark...
One aircraft is more than enough when done right, DCS currently holds the market as the most realistic customer simulation out there for sure, not even IL2 gets close.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Approved Member

One aircraft does hold the potential to make a sim if it's done really really well. I agree. The question is just WHICH ONE -- on an economical level. You can make "single aircraft" sims with aircraft that common people know, attractive aircraft like the legendary B17, or maybe the Spitfire too, maybe with a Corsair, for the American market. I already very much doubt you can make it with a Hurricane. Or a Me109. Not even to mention a Fokker, a Fiat or all of the other stuff. It doesn't draw enough people to be economically viable.

Also, if you make a single aircraft or heli sim, your campaign will be tailored around that aircraft. I think except as far as the technical simulation of the machine goes that you want to portray, the simulation of war will always be poorer than in a sim like IL2 or the CFS series.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Approved Member

A2A series not have one only one italian plane shame A2A shame you ignoring ITALY? shame.

A2A series not have respect in this world not exist only america but exist also another nation.

ITALY AND GERMANY is FIRST state of aeronatical tecnology and experience ante-post WW1 and WW2 and post WW1 WW2 American after copy eurpean tecnology to europe.

you loock P47 yes american copy italy desine of reggiane 2000 why most italian live in america and new york during ww2 have good italian comunity.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Approved Member

i repsect most most 1C company and Daidalos team because developers italian plane tank you you is a serious company.

example:FSX not have a just texture terrain of Europe not have complicate mesh terrain of ITALIAN ALPS the big mountain in all europe this is not respect in confront of european peoples not respect the EUROPEAN STANDARDS.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Approved Member

(Or, should I say, )

Republic Aviation was originally known as the Seversky Aircraft Company, founded by a Russian WWI veteran and staffed (at least initially) by engineers from the former Russian empire. It was Seversky's P-35 from which Italian engineers loosely based the Re.2000.

Keep making yourself look like a fool though. It's good fun.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Approved Member

yes yes just observation SOVIETIC UNION have 2 exemplar of p-35 but not have project.
After the ING.ROBERTO LONGHI PROJECT THE REGGIANE 2000 inspiration to p35.

Sorry LukeFF but my teory to america copy european tecnology during ww2 remain in my mind.

Last edited by Xilon_x; 06-07-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Approved Member

My God. How short sighted can you all be??? This is not the enemy. This is potentially the best friend SoW could have.

Oleg has said many times that 3rd party and professional works will be allowed compatability in SoW. What if A2A and other companies produced aircraft like this that can be installed into SoW the same way such addons can be added to FSX? Don't you see? This is where Maddox Games will finally get to make a decent living, by creating a 3rd party industry around SoW. Sow will help sell copies of professionally made addon aircraft, and these addons will help sell more copies of SoW.

If Oleg is smart, he'll be negotiating with A2A and others to allow them to produce versions of future aicraft that can run in the SoW environment... for a fee.

SoW has the potential to bury FSX for customers who are into the short-hop flights. Don't willfully misunderstand me. I'm not talking about the 747's and whatnot. I'm talking about the civil types like Dragon Rapides etc, classic warbirds like the B-17 above and everything else in between. SoW has the potential to corner the market as a Classic Flight simulator. Not just a Combat flight simulator. No way can they make an Il-2 sized planeset on their own though. Opening SoW to commercial and 3rd party expansion is the key.

I must say, I'm suprised no one even mentioned it.