Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:18 AM
Approved Member

the best plane is the one u stick with.... just choose one and fly that one plane till u never stall it, till you figure out its querks.

getting shot down... shooting others down... thats all irrelevent because all u gotta do is click refly

and because if you have to ask this question then it doesn't matter what plane your in, just choose one, and fly that one plane for a few months/years, till u feel like you can do anything in it...
Old 06-02-2010, 04:01 AM
Approved Member

I've been thinking about this. Is it better to stich with one plane, and learn all its quirks, or get a more general knowledge of everything?

I suspect the (possibly unhelpful) answer is 'both'. Pick a plane, and learn its limits, and what to do when you exceed them (you will), but every so often, try something different. I've just been flying an (unmentionable mod) aerobatic aircraft I've never flown before, and doing ridiculous things with it that no sane real-world pilot would attempt without months of practice - and getting away with it. I can do this because I've got sufficient confidence in flying many different aircraft in IL-2, and know when to spot the limits of what is feasible, and not go (much) beyond it. If you only learn one aircraft, you will never be able to predict what another one wil do, but if you don't gain familiarity with a particular aircraft, you will never get any real familiarity with the edges of the flight envelope.

In summary, I'd pick a plane, heave it around the sky until you are bored, than find something else to play about with for a bit. Unlike real-world pilots, a smoking crater is a learning experience (which is why I've learned so much )
Old 06-02-2010, 06:28 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJWest View Post
I've been thinking about this. Is it better to stich with one plane, and learn all its quirks, or get a more general knowledge of everything?

I suspect the (possibly unhelpful) answer is 'both'. Pick a plane, and learn its limits, and what to do when you exceed them (you will), but every so often, try something different. I've just been flying an (unmentionable mod) aerobatic aircraft I've never flown before, and doing ridiculous things with it that no sane real-world pilot would attempt without months of practice - and getting away with it. I can do this because I've got sufficient confidence in flying many different aircraft in IL-2, and know when to spot the limits of what is feasible, and not go (much) beyond it. If you only learn one aircraft, you will never be able to predict what another one wil do, but if you don't gain familiarity with a particular aircraft, you will never get any real familiarity with the edges of the flight envelope.

In summary, I'd pick a plane, heave it around the sky until you are bored, than find something else to play about with for a bit. Unlike real-world pilots, a smoking crater is a learning experience (which is why I've learned so much )
yep... thats why i was saying till you feel like u can do anything... and why i said months or years... however long it takes till you feel like u can do anything with it... once you got one plane down, you've got the basics perfected, that are the same in every plane, after that, learning the others is fairly simple.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:43 AM
Approved Member

you can't good wrong with any of the spits the all turn well, good speed and good guns and a plus it easy to fly
Old 06-02-2010, 07:04 AM
Approved Member

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...3/m/2111070776

edit: wrong link removed

Last edited by swiss; 06-02-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Approved Member

Die Würger for evil Fritzies, P-51 for allies, its the best prop fighter the game has too.

EDIT: that BOP plane guide - almost none of it applies to IL2, and the armament is not much important at all. Either its insufficient, ok or good, at least to me. BOP has afaik unlimited ammunition even with "full realism", I suppose they just spray and pray.

EDIT2: Imho the aircraft guide coming with the game is much more useful.

Last edited by Erkki; 06-02-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki View Post
Die Würger for evil Fritzies, P-51 for allies, its the best prop fighter the game has too.

EDIT: that BOP plane guide - almost none of it applies to IL2, and the armament is not much important at all. Either its insufficient, ok or good, at least to me. BOP has afaik unlimited ammunition even with "full realism", I suppose they just spray and pray.

EDIT2: Imho the aircraft guide coming with the game is much more useful.
- Which is the best prop plane?
(actually there is no such thing as a best, only to to your taste...)

- BOP?

- Which aircraft guide? The internal one, with weakness and strength?
Old 06-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss View Post
- Which is the best prop plane?
(actually there is no such thing as a best, only to to your taste...)

- BOP?

- Which aircraft guide? The internal one, with weakness and strength?
With best, I meant generally best. P-51 is not the best in everything, but it is the best in a few things, and one of the very best in a few other, important factors.

BOP. Your second link is to BOP forums. And yeah, the aircraft guide pdf that comes with 1946 DVD.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Approved Member

Ooops - I just googled the second link and failed to check it.
Thx for pointing this out, link removed.

PS: The ingame .pdf does contains lots of info, unfortunately they have little tactical value(imho)

Last edited by swiss; 06-02-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Approved Member

Default best plane is

the NEW one. New best plane . . .

It depends on you.

Annoyance factor, choose something like the chaika or the oscar. If you like doing turn n burn, zero, or spit/seafire

if you like boom n zoom p-47 or p-38, or the raiden

Gunnery wise, do like chipping away with .50 cals or you can land 30mm cannons and one hit wonder something with the p-39?

Also depends on the quirks of certain planes. For example, the Corsair is great but if you go below a certain speed, it handles funny and your gun accuracy drops . . .

I'm more of a cannon person, so most uS inventory I can hang and fly with but . . .