Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex View Post
The current engine in IL-2 1946 only bump-maps water AKAIK. There are no height maps used for the aircraft skins so no bump-mapping there, as for the terrain a lot of review sites have stated bump-mapping is used on the terrain but I fail to see it.
It's quite noticeable on terrain if you set a late afternoon time, so the sun is low. It's not necessary to use a separate height map...you can bump-map a texture using itself as the bump-map, interpreting light/dark transitions in the texture as changes in height or angle. Or am I using wrong terminology?

I may have to revise my comment about caustics...I was recently testing some maps for SEOW, and noticed a line about caustics flash by in the console as the mission was loading, so perhaps there is already some support for it in the existing game. Perhaps to do with water in shallow areas?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:18 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
I know nothing about opengl or dx9 or 10, but its interesting that water in IL-2's opengl seems alot better than anything I've seen in DX9 FSX. I haven't upgraded FSX to DX10, but know it has been improved, but not sure by how much.
Well, FS9 or FSX is not really a good example for realistic water with DX.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulau View Post
It's quite noticeable on terrain if you set a late afternoon time, so the sun is low. It's not necessary to use a separate height map...you can bump-map a texture using itself as the bump-map, interpreting light/dark transitions in the texture as changes in height or angle. Or am I using wrong terminology?
Might be, but I haven't seen an example of bump mapping that doesn't use a height map. You might be thinking of Parallax mapping.

http://www.gamedev.net/community/for...opic_id=387447