Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 04-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Approved Member

Thx Viper

Were do you have the data on rpm from........
The higher the RPM the more heat its generate for the temp on both oil and water and then again what should the max temp for oil and water be without damaging the engine..........Coolent below 120º and oil below 90º

Last edited by ga_332; 04-19-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Approved Member

Thx again cheesehawk, good info and feed back
Old 04-21-2011, 07:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehawk View Post
There are no "normal" settings for the rads on oil or water, but you want them to be closed as much as possible (for reduced drag) and keep temps where you want them. That being said, I tend to open both up fully after the engine has warmed up on start up, then take off, then close oil about 60% and water about 30% (hard to judge here, both are analog, you have to look at the controls and guess where you have set them), and cruise at 1.75-1.2 ATA and engine around 2000-2500. I haven't really pushed the engines hard yet, as I'm still trying to come to grips with where I want the prop pitch through hard maneuvering.

Not sure if the head shake is a "bug", or just something else we're not considering. I don't have any time (other than a ride in a P-51 at an airshow many many years ago, but I wasn't the pilot) in a single-engine high performance aircraft with 1940s technology. Perhaps there was some resonance in the airframe that is transmitted to the pilot we don't know about? At any rate, my ride is much smoother with the head-shake turned off, but I disabled it because it interfered with my TrackIR, the smooth ride was just a desirable side effect!

In normal flight, I don't exceed 2500, but for short bursts, I think 3000 is ok. While diving and pulling during the bomber intercept mission for example, I find myself letting the engine rev up past 2600-2700 several times, even up to 3200. No smoke was coming out of my engine, no oil on the windscreen, but I didn't let the engine stay in that range more than 3-5 seconds. After mission end, it showed my plane had suffered 20% damage, not sure if it was gunfire, or my own abusing the powerplant. Use high RPM past the redline at 2600 at your own risk.
I've had the same problem with the vibrating engine. The first time this happened to me it happened to both me and my buddy. We both flew over the channel and it began when we got to the cliffs.

During our flight we had constant RPM at around 2100 RPM, oil and water radiators both half closed ( for some reason our water radiators have 3 positions not fully movable like spit radiator ), and throttle around 3/4 maybe less. All temps seemed in range as well.

When we reached the cliffs both our engines started vibrating. throttle down, no shake, throttle up more and more viloent shaking.

My solution has be to keep water radiator fully open (third position) and oil 3/4 open and only close any of them further when diving or for short periods of combat. So far so good but find it weird that you guys are saying your radiators dont have "3 positions" and that you would have to keep the water radiator fully open during cruise conditions.

Anyone have the same issues?
Old 04-22-2011, 07:49 AM
Approved Member

The water radiators in the 109 are not fully adjustable. There is closed and automatic. Open them and they work automatically and keep your temperature at a (nearly) constant temp.
The oil radiators are fully adjustable.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVT_Shepperd View Post
The water radiators in the 109 are not fully adjustable. There is closed and automatic. Open them and they work automatically and keep your temperature at a (nearly) constant temp.
Ok ergo if you just open the radiators it would be automatically , and you can just fogett ite when flying is this correct

But Oil Temp you have to follow it and adjust it to keep it in the right range.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVT_Shepperd View Post
err.. no.

Can't say for the real thing, but in the game you have fully adjustable water radiator, with a mechanism similar to the flaps deployment. there are three "states":

-neutral, in which the radiator doesnt move (the radiator slider on the hud stays in the middle)

-opening, the radiator gradually opens up, but you have to keep the "open radiator" key pressed (the radiator slider on the hud is on the top)

-closing, the radiator gradually closes, but you have to keep the "close radiator" key pressed (the radiator slider on the hud is on the bottom)
Old 04-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Approved Member

Ok I study the manual and look slike the 109 v spit is faster, better climber, dives better in the alt range of 0-5000 m .

So in short if you are flying the 109 keep you self in the alt range from 0-5000 and you should have the uperhand. Do you guys agree?
Old 04-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Approved Member

Wow. didnt think there would be so many opinions.. Anyone know the real story? Also, my problem was not solved by opening all radiators. For some reason no matter what I do I get an engine vibration that starts about 20 min into flight that gets worse and worse as the flight goes on until its a constant shake rendering my plane unflyable.

My flight consists of constant 2300 RPM, 3/4 throttle, mixture auto, both radiators full open.

Have also tried with radiators in what I think is the middle option for water and halfway open oil radiator.

Have also tried both with constant RPM at 2100 and 2400.

No use. engine starts vibrating 20 min in and gets worse.

I thought I was doing something wrong but am getting the feeling it may be a bug.. Unless you guys know of something I am missing here?

Yes my flaps are in the closed position and my gear is up.

-Gollum
Old 04-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Approved Member

Just tried it again. It seems as if the higher I go the more violent the shaking, then at 5 K I get carbourator failure. Mixture is auto right? So why does this happen? Even when I start a quick mission where we start at about 2 or 3 K the shakes are aleady happening. Is this just how the plane was ? I cant see that being possible.

Basically, if i stay under 2k I have no problem but if i venture above it I get shakes and then when I return to low altitude, it seems the damage is already done and I cant get rid of them.

Nobody else is having this problem?

-Gollum
Old 04-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Approved Member

scratch that. Even at low altitudes this happens. It seems to be directly associated with ATA. Whenever I dont have the throttle pinned to max I get violent shaking. More and more with decrease in throttle. I've no Idea whats going on. Even with throttle pinned I get minor shaking. Again this is as soon as I load into quick mission so It cant be from prior mistakes and engine wear.