Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 09-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream2012 View Post
The allied pilots are the real pilots in this game currently, they don't have cannons, have to manage their engines, and on-top deal with weird reverse mixture settings in some planes.
They have one bomber that falls apart easier than anything the blues have!

And yet the pros have taken what they have, learned about it, and I've seen some amazing flying going on pushing the FM's to their very limit. I tip my hat to you all.
This is the reason I don't fly 109 anymore, it is just no fun. I'd rather be partially frustrated and facing an actual challenge instead. That is not to say there are some absolutely mind blowing 109 pilots around, all due respect there to all of you. JG26_DavidRed and some of the russian folk on Repka server come to mind.

Last edited by trademe900; 09-16-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trademe900 View Post
At the risk of looking stupid even asking- that is a troll right?
Yes, take a look ladies and gentlemen this is unfortunately what you call the common troll, his kind breed like rabbits and normally run around causing strife with multiple accounts... the best thing to do upon seeing one of these miserable creatures is to pull out your shotgun and... press the report button so the mods can deal with him

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trademe900 View Post
This is the reason I don't fly 109 anymore, it is just no fun. I'd rather be partially frustrated and facing an actual challenge instead. That is not to say there are some absolutely mind blowing 109 pilots around, all due respect there. ATAG David and some of the russian folk on Repka server come to mind.
Yeah, its also annoying trying to dogfight in a 109... its on rails atm... you can go up and down but don't try anything else

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Approved Member

@ Zapatista : the way described to fly high altitude is right if you're not supposed to fight or if you expect to have some tourism...
I did two runs at 18000fts mini this evening : one the way you say where i stalled at 150/160mph IAS and the second as i'm used to (15-20mns to climb, 2200rpm full throttle and 75% open rad at cruising altitude).
I keep my way to do 'cause my engine is cooler when i engage the fight and if i need some nerves i can push the propeller pitch. If i manage right, i can hope 210mph IAS (338km/h) till my opponent is around 242mph IAS (390km/h). Nothing is worring you there ?
I'm surely not the best virtual fighter, player... so if you get some minutes to have a fly in your timezome, feel free to give me some lessons or simply test yourself first the tips you propose.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:08 AM
Approved Member

Here's an interesting article on the performances of Spitfire MK1 and Bf 109E, both of these involved in the Battle of Britain.

The interesting performance data is at low level and this reflects what I have found happening.

http://www.spitfireperformance.com/spit1vrs109e.html

This is quite a long article so will take some time reading.

Asus M4N98TD-EVO
AMD Phenom2 965 x 4 3.4gig
8gig DDR3 Ram
2x GTS 450 Sli (1gig each)
1Tb HDD Partitioned x 5
700w Coolermaster single rail P/S 52a
Windows 7 64bit
19" Samsung 931BW monitor
1280 x 960 Resolution
Old 09-17-2012, 02:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATAG_Dutch View Post
See here Zap.

The RAF FMs are totally porked, but yes there are ways round it until the dev's put it right. The comment re: 100% rad is total BS, so in that I agree with Kwiatek.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=34124
i know they are seriously porked (see my other posts in this forum lamenting it) because since the game at last became playable with the early august beta patch, i have mainly been using the allied fighters and have experienced exactly those overheating and poor climbing/level airspeed issues when using CEM.

but i havnt had a chance yet to try the disastersoft guy's suggestion of opening the radiator before engine start and then keeping it open continuously during flight (without ever closing it, in case it from then on acts as if staying closed) to see if it makes a difference with the major overheating problem. if this makes some difference (i didnt say "solve" all FM and overheating problems), then it might indicate a bug in addition to the other incorrect FM issues we have with the hurricane and spitfire. in fact i have been doing the exact opposite with CEM, i deliberately keep the radiator closed at engine start and taxi to try warming the engine as quickly as possible and reach correct engine temp needed for takeoff power settings

so, for the other readers who are concerned about trying to resolve FM issues, other then going into hysterics about believing this means there being no problems at all , has anybody tried this new suggestion yet to see if it makes a difference in the overheating behavior ? (i cant see one poster here yet to confirm/reject this). with luthiers limited time and attention to fix the FM issues we have been complaining about, the more information we can give him the better.
President Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953: Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone, it is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children

Last edited by zapatista; 09-17-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:41 AM
Approved Member

Ok my apologies, you have a point. Will have to try this full radiator before starting procedure. Might be a bug.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 AM
Approved Member

Is anyone here using the prop pitch to maintain the rpm to 2600 water temp to 99 and oil temp to 90 oil pres. 80 engine psi 4.5 to 5.5 radiator open or half closed mixture full rich until 17000 feet less psi higher and higher until 27000. This is not possible on the Spitfire MKI where I go from one pitch to the other depending of water and oil temp you should always monitor oil and water temp and play with the water radiator opening and the throttle and never go over 110 water temp for more than 5 min. I fly long missions in Spitfires and find this a fun but challenging plane to fly. Since the last beta patch I do not use the visual aids for throttle, pitch, radiator, etc… anymore for me it helps. The full raditor thing at take off is written in the Spitfirre manual in the real plane it should be done so why not in the simulated one?

Last edited by senseispcc; 09-17-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
with luthiers limited time and attention to fix the FM issues we have been complaining about, the more information we can give him the better.
Zap, I and many others, have been testing the effects of radiator drag in the game since the latest patch release. Some of the results of the tests are in plain sight all over the forum. If you're suggesting that there is an actual game bug whereby the radiator drag effects are nullified by following this procedure, then by all means test it yourself and report your results.

However, I can tell you now, that the amount of surface area producing drag from the radiator shutters, programmed into the RAF fighters' Engine Modelling, was Doubled from v1.07 to v1.08. It was already 50% greater than the radiator shutter drag surface area plus oil cooler drag surface area modelled into the Bf109's Engine Modelling. This means that this surface area for drag calculation purposes in the RAF fighters is now Triple, three times, 300% greater, than that modelled in the Bf109s.

After extensive testing on a public server with temps effects off, then further extensive testing on a public server with temp effects on, i.e. ATAG server 2 and ATAG server 1 respectively, the workaround with 50% rad seen in the video, (if you even watched the video or followed the link) is the result.

In addition to the excessive radiator drag virtually nullifying any increase in rpm and/or increasing of boost setting, the relationship between adequate airspeed and engine cooling is dramatically more critical in the RAF fighters than in the 109s.

This information (in much greater detail) has already been communicated to both Luthier directly, and their FM programmer via BlackSix directly.

The problems surrounding incorrect mixture modelling also highlighted in the link I gave have also been communicated directly by both me and IvanK.

I would've explained this earlier, but I'm a one fingered typist, and posting stuff of this length more than once gets on my wick a bit. Please read the thread I linked in more detail.

Thanks Mate.

Last edited by ATAG_Dutch; 09-17-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:05 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATAG_Dutch View Post

I would've explained this earlier, but I'm a one fingered typist, and posting stuff of this length more than once gets on my wick a bit. Please read the thread I linked in more detail.

Thanks Mate.

Funny!...I am a one finger wonder too. Have you considered using speech to text, then copy/paste here. I was going to try that, but then I realized that, I rarely have much to say....edit: Dutch you have to try this, I just did with zero mistakes using Win 7...give it a try!

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5

Last edited by SlipBall; 09-17-2012 at 11:40 AM.