Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

View Poll Results: Would you sacrifice small graphical issues in order to be able to use 6-DoF
Yes I could cope with this as it would add to my flying experience 270 85.44%
No, I'd rather have my head on a fixed stick thanks you very much 46 14.56%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Approved Member

Ok, my 0.02 monetary units of your choice.

6DOF is great and mostly works quite well with the cockpits on the game, even if they weren't originally designed for it. Seeing polygons from the wrong side does obviously make them disappear, but it really doesn't affect game balance.

Actually, the only reason I would care for 6DOF support being in official patch is this: NTRK's only save pitch and yaw from the view movements.

This means that if I want to make a 6DOF IL-2 video, I need to use the head tracking software while I'm playing the track of the video, while also running FRAPS (or other video capture program), and that doesn't work so well on a dual core system, as one core is required to run the game, and FRAPS requires the other one - running FRAPS and FreeTrack on the same core makes both FRAPS and FreeTrack laggy and thus affects the performance in quite adverse fashion.

If I could have the NTRK's store all the six parametres for 6DOF head tracking, it would make it so much easier to make a track, then replay it with those view motions while recording the cockpit view.

Of course, I could just shell out some cash for a quad-core CPU but there aren't many AM2+ socket CPU's hovering around with decent-ish prices, it would be more sensible to build an entirely new PC, probably with Intel chipset and CPU this time... as soon as I can get my hands into sufficient bit of gold.

Other than this, having official support doesn't really move me one way or the other - I can have 6DOF with mods if I want it, and the servers I fly on allow mods anyway so I don't lose anything either way. Just, making videos is a bit of a pain in the arse with my system and the limitations of what data is stored on the NTRK system.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Approved Member

Since Clod is not enjoyable for now, 6dof in 4.11 is only hope it seems.
At least for me.