Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 08-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool61 View Post
Here is out of the blue it has Col. Gordon Cooper and Dr Edgar Mitchell,
but what do these retards know they are just astronuts right?

Now you're starting to get it, although I wouldn't go so far as to call them retards. But being highly respected astronauts does kinda make them experts on everything else of course. Even still, what I saw was them speculating on the chances for life in the galaxy, same as I believe, not that they are here to save the enlightened few from the tyranny of co-workers that call you a nerd under their breath at the water cooler. I didn't watch long enough to see if they had UFO stories like the one that fooled John Glenn(?). I'll bet that was embarrasing!

I could only stomach about the first 5 minutes of this "documentary" what with the spooky space theme music, Ken Burns effect on still photos of gaseous nebulae, and the quick interview blurbs. C'mon people haven't you seen the same kind of "documentary" techniques for retarded ideas like Nostradamus and killer bees overtaking the world?

Much like the global warming models, the Drake equation is at best a very shallow attempt at quantifying the likelihood of intelligent life on other planets in our galaxy. Unfortunately, it is already being revised based on new things we're learning about extra solar planetary systems that factor in more dynamics that Drake never considered. But even still I have to say with the multitude of stars in our galaxy it seems likely there's life, even intelligent life out there! There I said it.

However, unless you like to believe in magic wands or leprechauns just because they sound pretty cool, we have nothing to indicate there's any practical means of travel at or beyond the speed of light. Sure maybe we just don't know enough yet but there isn't anything that even suggests the possibility of maybe transporting a particle let alone a living being safely, so that means you choose to believe in magic, just...because.

So given that universal limitation that puts any star beyond let's say 50 light years away at the point of being impractical for visitation. Not so many stars now huh? It's ok to consider the possibility that an advanced alien race found some way around it, or maybe they live indefinitely and can spend lots of time on a space ship, or whatever, but at the point you make the leap of logic to say "yes, there are aliens here" you might as well just decide to believe in the neighbourhood garden gnomes stealing one sock out of your drawer every wash cycle.

If you've been around in life long enough and paid attention you'd realize that all those spooky documentaries about the coming ice age, the Y2K disaster and the coming 2012 apocalypse are simply "what if" entertainment pieces thrown together by a production team looking to get the most "ooohs" and "ahhhhs" out of you to keep your attention long enough to watch the ads.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Here is out of the blue it has Col. Gordon Cooper and Dr Edgar Mitchell,
but what do these retards know they are just astronuts right?
Yeah, astronauts really are the authority on UFOs.(?)

Ed Mitchell? He expressly says in the video you posted his only evidence of ETs was that he'd spoken to a couple of un-named* sources. 'Out of the Blue' has all the credibility of 'Loose Change'.

If that's your standard of evidence then you really ought to listen to Coast to Coast AM. On there you can nightly hear people claiming to be in contact with Nasa insiders, or FBI whistleblowers, or ex-CIA operatives, or 'Ascended Masters, the Greys...etc.

* surprise surprise.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Approved Member

One of the best means of "protecting" a situation, is to give factual information to discredited nutter outlets and false information to credible outlets....
Intel 980x | eVGA X58 FTW | Intel 180Gb 520 SSD x 2 | eVGA GTX 580 | Corsair Vengeance 1600 x 12Gb | Windows 7 Ultimate (SP1) 64 bit | Corsair 550D | Corsair HX 1000 PSU | Eaton 1500va UPS | Warthog HOTAS w/- Saitek rudders | Samsung PX2370 Monitor | Deathadder 3500 mouse | MS X6 Keyboard | TIR4

Stand alone Collector's Edition
DCS Series

Even duct tape can't fix stupid... but it can muffle the sound.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:08 PM
Approved Member

So, I visited Youtube and typed in 'UFO con....'.

I selected a video that mentioned Ed Mitchell. In it he goes on about how we should join this 'galactic community' or some such....it's the standard spiel*.

If you're a masochist, here it is....

But the true gems are to be found in the comments. A selection...

Quote:
aliens must look at us as greedy,wastefull parasites,who will let millions starve and freeze to death,as long as we have the best cars,nicest house etc.i really wonder if we are worth saving.
Quote:
From what i observed in this video since Apollo mission, they perfected and mastered the technique of invisibility and cloaking that we are still blind and still working for it for more than hundred of years.
Quote:
one ufo report suggested it created such a bad boom it may of rendered an entire town unconcious in their sleep and when they awoke they wouldn't even realize and likely thought it was just a dream. these machines do things to people when they are asleep. i have seen mini black discs in my bedroom when semi awake and i was not dreaming. it teleported in my bedroom and went across the cieling. now i realize just how these things can toy with our minds and make us think we r cracking up
Quote:
Has any1 thought of the possibility that Mitchell is trying to discredit the whole movement, hes constantly saying that he has seen nothing, but that he has heard others speaking of it, and he has been on the moon, saw no structures at all, and that the backside of the moon has no base, he doesn't sound like an insider at all. It might be just me but i am very suspicious about him.
Quote:
Maybe aliens are the ones directing our governments social mandate?
Quality stuff.

* Let me say i've all the time in the world for pioneering astronauts. I used to be quite the M/G/Apollo buff. But that doesn't mean they get a free pass when they venture into woo-woo territory.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lixma View Post
Let me say i've all the time in the world for pioneering astronauts. I used to be quite the M/G/Apollo buff. But that doesn't mean they get a free pass when they venture into woo-woo territory.
Indeed. The Apollo astronauts themselves all found life a bit difficult after the moon. Who wouldn't? I'd imagine once you've been there, done that, all else seems trivial.

There's a good read by Andrew Smith called 'Moondust'. It's a simple book where Smith - in around 1999/2000 - interviews the men who went to the moon .

It's quite a sad tale of alcoholism, mental breakdown, divorce, finding God and/or religious cults, and talented but obsessive behaviour such as Al Bean painting great pictures, but only of men on the moon. Worth a look.

Real space travel, astronomy and astrophysics are all interests of mine (when I can grasp the astrophysics bit), similarly science fiction can be great literature and great cinema.

Conspiracy theories/theorists and saying whatever it takes to earn either a few quid or a fortune I don't have time for, particularly when they prey on the easily led, which makes them dangerous in my opinion.

Last edited by ATAG_Dutch; 08-10-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch_851 View Post
Indeed. The Apollo astronauts themselves all found life a bit difficult after the moon. Who wouldn't? I'd imagine once you've been there, done that, all else seems trivial.

There's a good read by Andrew Smith called 'Moondust'. It's a simple book where Smith interviews the men who went to the moon in around 1999/2000.

It's quite a sad tale of alcoholism, mental breakdown, divorce, finding God and/or religious cults, and talented but obsessive behaviour such as Al Bean painting great pictures, but only of men on the moon. Worth a look.

Real space travel, astronomy and astrophysics are all interests of mine (when I can grasp the astrophysics bit), similarly science fiction can be great literature and great cinema.

Conspiracy theories/theorists and saying whatever it takes to earn a fortune I don't have time for, particularly when they prey on the easily led, which makes them dangerous to my mind.
Good post.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Yeah, astronauts really are the authority on UFOs.(?)

Ed Mitchell? He expressly says in the video you posted his only evidence of ETs was that he'd spoken to a couple of un-named* sources. 'Out of the Blue' has all the credibility of 'Loose Change'.

If that's your standard of evidence then you really ought to listen to Coast to Coast AM. On there you can nightly hear people claiming to be in contact with Nasa insiders, or FBI whistleblowers, or ex-CIA operatives, or 'Ascended Masters, the Greys...etc.

* surprise surprise.
Thats more evidence than there is for God or jesus.
“Violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children: organized religion ought to have a great deal on its conscience.”
― Christopher Hitchens
Old 08-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbs107 View Post
...He also went on to tell me that when one of the Apollo capsules passed behind the moon(dont know which one) one of the astronauts said to NASA "There is a Santa Claus"....
That much is true...Apollo 8 went behind the moon on Christmas eve (first time humans behind a celestial body) and when they emerged, commander Frank Borman read a passage from the Bible and also said they had seen Santa Claus...Like they do on the news sometimes, you know when they say they've seen Santa Claus on the radar on Christmas day (in North America anyway) It was a nice moment...but nothing to do with UFOs

Louis
Crucial M4 256GB SSD, WD Raptor 600 GB hard disk
EVGA GTX580 graphics card
HP ZR24W Monitor 1900 X 1200 24"
Thrustmaster Warthog joystick
Saitek Combat rudder pedals
TrackIr 5
Old 08-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Thats more evidence than there is for God or jesus.
Your point being?
Old 08-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Your point being?
Billions of people believe in something that has absolutley no historical ,scientific or eyewitness evidence. So based on that criteria UFO witnesses are just as credible.
“Violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children: organized religion ought to have a great deal on its conscience.”
― Christopher Hitchens