Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Approved Member

Another thing I noticed in that vid is that the pilot doesn't press down, or lift up in the seat during turns in WoP and the aircraft moves alot more like on rails when it should shudder and slip out more, especially in the high g turns. Gorgeous looking game that WoP but they'll have to patch it up further before I pull the trigger.

Last edited by kimosabi; 01-02-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Approved Member

Cool

made a nice MP action vid.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Approved Member

Nice vid.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Approved Member

That's what I'm talking about. See what it took for that first 109 to burst in flames?

I have to say, movies do look awesome in this sim, because it already has all the movie effects most movie-makers use to give their productions a more dramatic look. The music, even if not exactly realistic, gives an amazing atmosphere to the whole thing. It's no simulator, but when you're just looking for some action and everything, it's great.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_From_Hell View Post
That's what I'm talking about. See what it took for that first 109 to burst in flames?

I have to say, movies do look awesome in this sim, because it already has all the movie effects most movie-makers use to give their productions a more dramatic look. The music, even if not exactly realistic, gives an amazing atmosphere to the whole thing. It's no simulator, but when you're just looking for some action and everything, it's great.
the flight parameters are not far behind il2 1946 someone made a video showing this.

sure they will also tweak the damage model more.

looking at some gun camera footage some of the planes get taken out very quick

give it time imo .

Last edited by diveplane; 01-03-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Approved Member

But there you can observe some very specific damage, for example, the FW-190 that blew up were hit in the wings, probably where the cannon shells were. In WoP it seems that every hit ignites the planes.

But you're right, I'll give it time... Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not. Ah, whatever, Storm of War will do the trick for me
Old 01-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Approved Member

S!

Desode..true In 80's when most of today's IL2 hotshots were still crapping their nappies we were fiddling with the floppies, cassettes and TurboLoaders Commodore 64 was great until Amiga500 came and ruined my day But time goes on and it is youth that rule now..hehe!

As of WoP and IL2. WoP is based on IL2 engine if I am not mistaken, but seems it has been heavily modified. What IL2 engine could take from WoP, making IL2 totally new game would be in my opinion the following:

1) Lighting. Self shadows and lighting in general is improved over IL2.
2) Sound engine. No more cracks, pops or planes heard miles away etc.
3) Code how big cities are handled! Look at demo and Berlin mission, not a single stutter or slowdown even with a lot of action. Seems that WoP let's the GPU do the work instead of CPU.
4) Plane models smoothened out, more detail. He111 for example, compare to IL2 and you know what I mean

Those are some pointers. In general it seems WoP is using newer OpenGL than IL2(has v1.1 I think) and has better performance even under heavy action. So combine the code improvements to IL2 with all the new content and huh, we have a colossal game still..after 10 years of existence! Maybe we should hijack Gaijin guys and persuade them to improve IL2

RoF also shows how IL2 engine can be improved and updated. If IL2 would get a treatment like that it would keep a lot of people with not so HiTech computers very happy SoW will demand a LOT of power if you want both eye candy to the maximum and complex FM/DM. OR Oleg's team have created a code that can simulate all this on a regular desktop machine not requiring a super computer
Old 01-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Approved Member

Yeah I'm a little nervous about SOW and what I'm going to be able to get with it on my PC. I just built this PC a couple of months ago and I don't plan on building another one for a couple of years. I haven't overclocked anything yet so we'll just see when SOW finally gets here. I will be Bummed if I can't run it at pretty high settings.
I'm running ROF at all Max settings so I'm keeping my fingers crossed with Dreams of SOW.

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black edition 3.00ghz
Ram 4 GB
Mobo: ASUS M3N72-D Nividia 750a sli

Graphic card : GIGABYTE GV-N26SO-896I GeForce GTX 260 Super Overclock 896MB 448-bit GDDR3
Core Clock 680MHz
Shader Clock 1500MHz
Memory Clock 2500MHz

Old 01-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Approved Member

S!

SoW will require a very high end machine to run all the bells and whistles. AS you have read, DirectX 11 can use CPU to calculate those gfx gimmicks the GPU does not support. And we know that the FM/DM/AI are already calculated by the CPU so this is only extra stress to it thus lowering performance. SoW will be way more complicated and will require a lot of horsepower, but that is the price to pay for more fidelity and all that

It is surprising how well IL2 engine still holds on after 10 years. Modified in RoF and WoP and see what you get! Totally new effects, smoother gameplay etc. Just a wet dream that the code improvements could be brought to IL2, especially how it handles big cities etc. In WoP Berlin map with tons of buildings did not slow down my rig at all with all maxed out in 1920x1200! In IL2 the same would just make my rig do the slide show

Intel i7 920 CPU
Intel DX58SO motherboard + HD Audio enabled
XFX 5870HD 1Gb graphics card
24" BenQ 16:10 screen
Windows 7 64-bit (home premium)
etc yadda yadda
Old 01-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Approved Member

Ok so full real sims do not gather the kiddies and relaxed players that form the masses and bring in the dollars.

So what, that does not mean that we need to take a step BACK realism/simulation wise in flight sims. Why cant WoP have a full real settings and a relaxed settings, thus catering to the needs of both parties. Though this would have to include missions from take off to landing.

I am tired of seeing many things take a step back because it does not cater to the masses, look at how the trend in TV and entertainment is to dumb everything down to satisfy everyone.

As for myself I wont support WoP in any way as a serious simmer, I would say it is a great sim for relaxed players, but I do not want that to be the trend that simulations follow. I would rather have people like myself who get shot down a lot in a fighter in full real mp IL-2, stick with it vs jumping ship to something easier and more accessible but hey that's me just being selfish.

I guess I am happy for people that are enjoying it, but many here probably have very different views of the differences of what makes an acceptable Simulation.

Ill always hold out for the most realistic thing. Dont let IL-2 go the way of Papyrus's Nascar series, Falcon 4.0 , Baldurs Gate. (Thank god we are getting SH5)

I am so narrowminded I think I might get some type of "ANTI-Console Gamer" bumpersticker, lol (JK)