Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Approved Member

Didn't anyone check out the small video after the end of the interview transcript? Imagine flying over the Channel to an emergency deadstick landing, opening the canopy and listening to the sound of the waves as you approach the beach. It looked so nice i could almost feel the cold English weather
Old 03-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
Didn't anyone check out the small video after the end of the interview transcript? Imagine flying over the Channel to an emergency deadstick landing, opening the canopy and listening to the sound of the waves as you approach the beach. It looked so nice i could almost feel the cold English weather

Can't find it, how about a link

Found it...surf's up!

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5

Last edited by SlipBall; 03-01-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
That video is two years old...
Old 03-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Approved Member

Talking new video

para los q hablan español, aca les paso un video de pilotos de la luftwafee q opinan sobre stotm of war

jajaja
(oleg, esto te pasa por hacerme esperar...)
Old 03-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Approved Member

Maybe it would be better to make a quick summary for non spanish-speakers (and I presume they make quite a majority of people here)....
Old 03-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVM View Post
Maybe it would be better to make a quick summary for non spanish-speakers (and I presume they make quite a majority of people here)....

Those video's have been kick'in around YouTube for a couple of years now...some of the (UTube) responses said it was "fake" (or miss titled)...I don't know.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorin View Post
That video is two years old...
Yep, it's on the dvd that came with 1946.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVM View Post
Somebody at youtube tried:
Quote:
It says more or less " opinions of former aces that have been working as beta-testers for OM BOB SIM..."1st ace then says ".. and how its possible that a shit (mierda) like a hurricane can shoot me down with so little impacts, I´ve already sent an email to Oleg asking this and other details to be corrected"
Then Gunther Rall says: "... this ******* Russian has fucked us again, I´m really fed up about this shit, and.. why dont you **** you, damn Russian!"
Really funny
Only a bit funny and and distastefull a lot, I think

Last edited by II/JG54_Emil; 03-02-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Approved Member

very dumb and not for real vid
Old 03-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Approved Member

Default Straight wings interview

Oleg Oleg Oleg

Q: When playing Il-2 offline, many commented on inadequate AI behavior. Completing offline campaigns offered little excitement for that very reason. Will the quality of AI change with BoB?

A: Oh really? Have you seen better AI in any other sim? Generally, it was offline gameplay that drove most of our sales, and not the online modes. Of course, it’s more exciting to fly against a live opponent. AI will be smarter in BoB. We’ll even consider whether the pilot is tired or hurt, whether he’s a good shot or a master of aerobatics, and whether he’s a trooper or a coward. Other things, too… I’ve said too much already

It's one thing to have pride in your work, and another to be blind to its flaws. Have you flown against the AI in Battle of Britain 2 Wings of Victory lately? While IL2 is the benchmark in so many other areas (still) BOB2 is your AI benchmark, not your own IL2 AI.

In addition to different/more maneouvres being available to AI pilots with different levels of experience, the AI is very reactive, transitioning very smoothly from offensive to defensive and back again as needed. And above all, unpredictable - like a human pilot you never know what it is going to do.

My favorite AI elements in BoB2 WoV:

The Bf110 Lufberry: Bf110s when outnumbered will sometimes (not always) start a 'Lufberry', the circling maneouvre used by 110 pilots to enable them to cover each other's vulnerable rears. They'll hold it as long as they have energy and then scatter in all directions. Very historically accurate.

The Me109 'bunt': again historically accurate, the 109 can bunt or make a sharp dip, to get distance on a pursuing Spit or Hurricane whose Merlins stall if they try to do the same.

Individual AI experience levels: while the average experience in a staffel or flight may be eg Veteran, individual pilots in that flight may be Ace or rookie. The campaign game tracks their experience levels as the campaign progresses, increasing them as they gain 'experience'. Very real-life.

Cooperative AI: the AI pilots are aware of where their nearby comrades are which simulates radio contact between them. If I am on the tail of a Spit or 109, trying to get a deflection shot, it is not unusual to see it go into a slow turning climb or a short stretch of straight and level flight. Stupid? No! I immediately check my six and often I will find the AI has called for help and is cooperating to lure me into making an easy shot for his wingman who has gotten onto my tail! A perfect sucker move and insanely immersive when it happens to you.

Now you may say elements of these are coded into IL2 AI...but I can only say the experience of them in practice is completely different between the two sims. IL2 has many areas where it is miles ahead of BoB WoV, but it is behind on the AI.

The question above also related to the AI in campaigns saying offline campaigns were not immersive because of the AI. I disagree with that one - it's true that IL2 dynamic campaigns just seem to be a series of random and unconnected missions (go here, do that, repeat) but the scripted campaigns, mostly by players and third parties, were brilliantly immersive. I'm glad to see SoW is still going to accomodate players building their own scripted/branching campaigns.

Last edited by planespotter; 03-04-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Closed Thread