Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merro View Post
I am finding more sim games the last days on PS3. Most still stick to arcade .r4 cardnintendo ds r4
I am not online on a regular basis (work-wife.......)
my PSN: Tante_Trude
i think you idear is good.ps3 is ok.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Approved Member

I'd like to join in on the sim fun.. or the humiliation I should say

PSN: SDK3113
Old 03-15-2011, 05:59 PM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by D16 View Post
I'd like to join in on the sim fun.. or the humiliation I should say

PSN: SDK3113
i play sim and realistic you can add me the more the better that takes to the skys the better it is for this great game psn JRHOODY1
Old 03-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Approved Member

Default Sim...first game...first thoughts....

Being Sim players ....i guess you guys are pretty well used to the very different feel this mode has from Arcade and Realistic....I got an invite from WalterNovotny last night...First Sim game....here is my first impression and in game(in head) commentry....goes like this.........

[Game Start]
Hmmm this is different.....where are they all ?

[Waggle wings, Aviator layout look around]
Are they over there ? .Nope. Are they over here ? .Nope. BOOOOM ! He got me !
where did he come from !

[Restart]
Ok i say....relax, move around , look the part at least , ..Ah just saw a spec move down there ! .....off i rush.....where did he go ? BOOOOM ! He got me again !

[Restart]
Now...get down lower i say....i may spot them better...ah i saw one over there.....over i roll , down i go.....sky...sky...more sky.....oh you fool, your upside down.... guess what.....yeah...BOOOOM He got me !

[Restart]
Get down lower...thats the trick.....see them now ...one spec...one shape...ah thats an aeroplane i say...follow him...get behind....get behind....BANG crashed into big tree !

[Restart]
Getting into this now....roll wings low....Aviator look around....get down lower....FLASH...one fly's right in front of me....oh you clot...did not think to pull the trigger !......hear engine behind me....oh no not again...BOOOOM He got me !

[Restart]
last chance now....you can do it....Head turning all over the place...even looking behind me over the back of the settee to see if they are coming from over there....... GAME OVER .....

[Pause for thought ]
Hmmmm...........

[Pause for thought ]
Bugger there good at this.......

[What do i do now ? ]
Turn off PlayStation...Go to fridge....get bottle of beer....Sit in the dark for 5 mins....wife say's " good game Darling ? ".....oh i say..." Spring Chicken to ShiteHawk in 10 minutes "...what...? she says...!oh never mind..lets go to bed....(safer there ! )

To "The Few" that play this mode...I raise my glass to you......
Old 03-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Approved Member

A feeling of Deja vu reading your post Wildboar
Well, one day we'll show 'em...
Old 03-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Approved Member

yep thats the way it basically is. BUT you will get better at spotting the E/As. use your map feature ALOT to give you the general direction and then scan up and down. the good part is in sim you can actually lose an attacker! you wont have that red "He's over here now!!" arrow to put them back on your six. also you willl find some of the crappier flying ac you can handle better in there. sim is more frustrating and takes more of a learning curve than probably any other mode in this game. just like when you first started out...you will crash and burn more than you will even see an enemy. stick with it....for me...the high degree of difficulty brought a high degree of satisfaction once i started to get the hang of it.

if you dont like it...that is perfectly fine. but give it a try. some things in life are an acquired taste that takes. what is the absolute best difficulty to play on?? thats simple....its the one that brings YOU the most enjoyment!

Last edited by bobbysocks; 03-16-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Approved Member

You forgot about constant death spins wildboar! Unless you did'nt spin on your first sim game, which would be an acheivement worthy of a medal!
Best tip for spotting aircraft is to always confirm your sightings using the map. Chasing a speck of dust on my tv screen happens a lot to me!
And remember: COMBAT FLAPS!
Old 03-16-2011, 11:51 PM
Approved Member

I allmost wet myself WildBoar. Brought back some memories...
Listen to the guys ahead of me here and you'll be just fine. A cpl of hours of pure humiliation, and you'll be able to kick back a few. Log a hundred missions, and you'll remember the combat-flaps too...
And most important as bobby points out, sim's the only mode you actually can loose the guy on your six. And live to kill him. That's what makes it all worth wile some times...
You kind of made my day there bro
Old 03-16-2011, 11:56 PM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

i play with avatar and have been playing sim for about six months avatar is great for looking around what i do is soon as game starts trim your plane put up map look for red dots see them take of map and use your right thumb stick to look in direction of the dots you will see them then happy hunting bang your a new ace buddy
Old 03-17-2011, 04:20 AM
Approved Member

Hey Wildboar,

Excellent description, brings back some memories here too! Couldn't believe how anyone saw anything when I started to play in the mode, and yes it can be frustrating. I guess for some new to this mode it stops right there, getting hammered all the time.

Here's a few ideas how to pull through:

- play simulator in training mode, the AI aren't as cruel as RL players and you can practice spotting a lot
- have your HUD turned on fully - this will give you a dark spot on the screen when the enemy is far away from you
- check your map and scan accordingly
- when scanning, develop a relaxed gaze into a sector of the sky/landscape, don't focus on anything particular, that way you will detect movement much faster
- give each sector you're scanning a couple of seconds, then go on
- and probably best, practice sim with friends or experienced people who are willing to give you an easy entrance - look for people who have the compass banner in their signatures, like me

Good luck with your next steps!

MAC