Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 03:15 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton45 View Post
+1...ya, was about to mirror your comments. SOW is likely to be so GPU dependent that most people will not be able to spare the "HP" to run the physics program....
I'm not so sure SOW would be so gpu dependent. Traditionally flight sims are cpu bound but this could change things. Mum seems to be the word on this. Though reading all the details that Oleg plans on putting in this sim I go between figuring we may need a govt super computer just to get playable frame rates to figuring certain aspects like the radar grid could be implimented on a simple basic way. But alas, frickin mum!

Flyingbullseye
Old 02-05-2009, 05:38 AM
Approved Member

Did someone else already asked for this but it would be great to be able to "duck" while performing head-on attack
Old 02-05-2009, 05:40 AM
Approved Member

The time between updates is getting longer. a promised (that can be debated) website fails to arrive two months after slated.
Now while working on a Sim may be time consuming, delegating someone to post an odd update cannot be that hard surely? Even the silence from Project Gaba is worrying.
That last time we had any real movement on this forum was over the confusion about Birds of Prey.
Now in an economic depress, wobbly or shacky feedback is one of the first signs of trouble.
Now it has been reported that SOW has slipped because of incompatablities with directX 11 and the OpenGL 3? Is this true?
Old 02-05-2009, 08:00 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb4 View Post
The time between updates is getting longer. a promised (that can be debated) website fails to arrive two months after slated.
Now while working on a Sim may be time consuming, delegating someone to post an odd update cannot be that hard surely? Even the silence from Project Gaba is worrying.
That last time we had any real movement on this forum was over the confusion about Birds of Prey.
Now in an economic depress, wobbly or shacky feedback is one of the first signs of trouble.
Now it has been reported that SOW has slipped because of incompatablities with directX 11 and the OpenGL 3? Is this true?
Gossip.

DX and OGL are always incompatible, as they are different rendering techniques, one provided by Microsoft, the other at least based upon open-source. There have been rumours about Vista and issues with OGL, though, but apparently they turned out to be gossip, too.

To the website thing:
It is not the question if Oleg has the time or balls to command somebody from his staff to produce a website. The question is: Does the distributor (UBISOFT) allow Oleg to announce the titel to the public before UBISOFT does itself. Oleg's team is not responsible, most likely not even allowed to present a website of their product, as it is in terms of legal contracts, not his project alone. Ubisoft gives the money, so they say what is done and what not. People tend to forget, how business works - maybe it's the forum color...

Same is for Project Galba. The news is posted there for such a long time, but nobody seems to read what is posted there: "As the project has not yet been officially announced, we cannot provide regular updates."

So, if you guys don't get that new car you are wanting so much or preordered, you go to the factory and demand a statement from the production-line-supervisor? I honestly doubt that.

That Oleg gives you news via this forum is a bonus for his community, not a natural thing or something to demand. Go to the UBI-forums, ask their hotlines or write emails to their support-crew, if you want to change the publicity-campaign for the game!
Old 02-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Approved Member

[QUOTE=Feuerfalke;66435]Gossip.

DX and OGL are always incompatible, as they are different rendering techniques, one provided by Microsoft, the other at least based upon open-source. There have been rumours about Vista and issues with OGL, though, but apparently they turned out to be gossip, too.
QUOTE]

You are back, I missed you
Was just showing the little ones how to stir-up controversy on the thread and get a response
And yes i know Oleg will respond when he is ready, ps he announced the dedicated website not ubizoo so i am guessing it is either a 1c or Maddox games site?
I thing ubizoo are just publishers
Old 02-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Was just showing the little ones how to stir-up controversy
That's what most people use this forum for. No need to show anybody.

And usually those who cause a stir-up are the ones that shoulder-pat when Oleg posts some news, because they think it was entirely because of their post. Well, you know the story - it repeats all two olegian weeks.

"Just the publisher" is something Oleg will probably write down on his t-shirt, once BoB is released.

That the website will not released with the UBIFORUMs is not surprising, but it does not mean, that the website has nothing to do with UBISOFT. It just means that SoW:BoB will not replace the IL2-Forum on UBI and it will also not walk the path that PacificFighters went, when it was released: To just add a subforum and a linked site-clone to the main IL2-Site.

SoW is a different brand, a different engine and a different game and it's pretty obvious especially the publisher wants to show that. On the other hand, UBI is only the publisher for the western markets, so it may as well be a sort of joint venture or a 1C site.

That doesn't change the fact, though, that it is not up to Oleg alone.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Approved Member

I know, pats back
Old 02-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Tree_UK

Why are you still convinced that Ubisoft are the publishers? Ubisoft flatly deny that they are.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton45 View Post
SOW is likely to be so GPU dependent that most people will not be able to spare the "HP" to run the physics program....
Actually, I'd bet granny's drawers SoW will be more cpu-dependent rather so than the GPU. PhysX actually works by taking some of that computational work off the cpu and sending it to the GPU. In an SLi format, once card could actually take on that extra bit of workload. Articles on PhysX claim that's oow it works, and does so because the GPU supposedly has more computational power
http://www.blachford.info/computer/articles/PhysX1.html

A nice OCP forum discussion here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1336975

I'm hopeful that a powerful GPU with over 512mb of memory will be sufficient for SoW; something like a 4870-1gb card, or even a GTX 260-12 should nearly dominate SoW. But the cpu...well that's another matter, especially with all those ground objects milling about. I'm only hopeful we can turn them down or off.
Flyby out
Old 02-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Approved Member

If the code will be what it should be any 4core cpu will have to be sufficient. If not, well, back to raw power race.
Closed Thread