Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Approved Member

Default multi GPU planning?

I wonder if Oleg and Nvidia are working on the SLi aspect of this sim. Since individual game performance with dual GPUs is still tied to driver support I would hope this is being tended to. BTW don't want to forget ATi's Crossfire either. Same story. Lucid's Hydra probably won't get here soon enough for dual GPU owners.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:21 AM
Registered Member

Default SOW:BOB Pre-Orders

Newegg is taking pre-orders of SOW:BOB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832138010

That's something I haven't seen posted.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by un_loon View Post
Newegg is taking pre-orders of SOW:BOB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832138010

That's something I haven't seen posted.
ya, its been up their for over a year...
Old 02-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99th_Flyby View Post
I wonder if Oleg and Nvidia are working on the SLi aspect of this sim. Since individual game performance with dual GPUs is still tied to driver support I would hope this is being tended to. BTW don't want to forget ATi's Crossfire either. Same story. Lucid's Hydra probably won't get here soon enough for dual GPU owners.
Oleg will definitely need to look at all ways to improve fps. I have a decent system and I'm surprised at how much the Slovakia, and Canons Chan Map tax my system. I doubt these maps have as much as a quarter of the detail of the SOW map. I haven't seen much advancement in computer capabilities over the last few years so SOW code will have to be really good to run on average computers. Although we will have the option to turn down details.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
Oleg will definitely need to look at all ways to improve fps. I have a decent system and I'm surprised at how much the Slovakia, and Canons Chan Map tax my system. I doubt these maps have as much as a quarter of the detail of the SOW map. I haven't seen much advancement in computer capabilities over the last few years so SOW code will have to be really good to run on average computers. Although we will have the option to turn down details.
then maybe some PhysX support might prove handy. But I think the code has been "done" for some time now. Maybe just adding odds and ends to it now. At least SoW will support multiple cores (fingers crossed).
Flyby out
Old 02-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Approved Member

If I remember correctly Oleg made mention that SOW will support multi core (dual), guessing quad support will exist as well. My big concern is the cpu eating ground vechile detail (not terrain) that for the most part will be lost on us causing lower fps.

Flyingbullseye
Old 02-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99th_Flyby View Post
then maybe some PhysX support might prove handy. But I think the code has been "done" for some time now. Maybe just adding odds and ends to it now. At least SoW will support multiple cores (fingers crossed).
Flyby out
I don't know a lot about the physics cards, but don't they calculate collisions (gravity effects & inertia) and things bouncing around? I'm not sure what kind of calculations a physics card would be useful for in a flight sim? It seems to me that the bottle necks in processing power are in visual calculations and damage calculations...

Last edited by proton45; 02-04-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Approved Member

Default re: PhysX

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton45 View Post
I don't know a lot about the physics cards, but don't they calculate collisions (gravity effects & inertia) and things bouncing around? I'm not sure what kind of calculations a physics card would be useful for in a flight sim? It seems to me that the bottle necks in processing power are in visual calculations and damage calculations...
Well, the damage calculations, and other special effects like drifting smoke, bomb blasts and the sort might all benefit from PhysX implementation. NVidia now makes PhysX a software implementation on it's GPUs. This link sort of explains it, and does so much better than I.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2340015,00.asp
As I recall, AMD/ATi have their own version, so once again here we go with the Crossfire vs SLi thing. No common standard except maybe OpenCL. I bet sim developers are way behind the curve on this stuff.

Oh, Flyingbullseye, I agree with you. Too many cpu-cycle-sucking ground objects may have a negative effect on smooth gameplay. I know some guys are building their core i7 systems in preparation of the release of SoW, among other sims. I'd hate to read of how SoW just brings the latest and the greatest to it's knees. But I guess they won't have to turn down quite so many settings as less-than-topnotch gaming rigs might. Good thing Oleg is making it scalable. I'd much rather spend my cpu cycles on complex weather, and clouds and stuff. A good sim is hard on a good cpu. Ain't it?
Well. can't worry about every thing.
Flyby out
Old 02-05-2009, 01:26 AM
Approved Member

The thing about physX so far is that it kills frame rates unless you have either a high end gpu or running sli. For the time being I like ATI's direction and planning on using Havok, which is cpu bound but in the future either one may prove to be superior or someone else can come out with something better. We'll see.

Glad you agree with me flyby. i7 or not, for me at least, the vehicle detail is getting turned down to say medium though I'd be willing to bet a good 775 quad should run this mostly fine. I do have hope and faith in Oleg that he won't produce a flight sim crysis, but get the code in order for better game play.

Since I am on the topic of the sim scaleablity (sp?) I do want to ask Oleg something for the next update whenever that is. Sorry if they are asked before.

1. How many options in the option menu are we going to get in order to make it not only playable but have at least some kind of improved graphics? ex: aircraft detail, cloud detail, terrain, vehicle, wind, so on and so on.

2. How many levels are there going to be for each specific option? ie...low, middle, high, ultra (PC killing)

3. Can the next round of pics show level of detail when choosing low, medium and high option?

Flyingbullseye
Old 02-05-2009, 02:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbullseye View Post
The thing about physX so far is that it kills frame rates unless you have either a high end gpu or running sli. For the time being I like ATI's direction and planning on using Havok, which is cpu bound but in the future either one may prove to be superior or someone else can come out with something better. We'll see.

Glad you agree with me flyby. i7 or not, for me at least, the vehicle detail is getting turned down to say medium though I'd be willing to bet a good 775 quad should run this mostly fine. I do have hope and faith in Oleg that he won't produce a flight sim crysis, but get the code in order for better game play.

Since I am on the topic of the sim scaleablity (sp?) I do want to ask Oleg something for the next update whenever that is. Sorry if they are asked before.

1. How many options in the option menu are we going to get in order to make it not only playable but have at least some kind of improved graphics? ex: aircraft detail, cloud detail, terrain, vehicle, wind, so on and so on.

2. How many levels are there going to be for each specific option? ie...low, middle, high, ultra (PC killing)

3. Can the next round of pics show level of detail when choosing low, medium and high option?

Flyingbullseye

+1...ya, was about to mirror your comments. SOW is likely to be so GPU dependent that most people will not be able to spare the "HP" to run the physics program....
Closed Thread