Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:40 AM
Approved Member

Hey everyone is entitled to their opinions.

I have my pilots licences (though it has been a few years since I flew last) and in my opinion the head shake is probably under modeled if anything.

Heres a small video from a head cam in a light plane doing aerobatics

Old 01-24-2010, 02:46 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Hsqn Protos View Post
Cheap shot all you like...... I know I have brought about positive change in this sim.

Oh, sorry, you weren't joking? What positive change is that, then?

Anyway, awesome update and video...still a bit rough around the edges, don't think anyone could deny that.

I think that zaelu made some good points, don't think the language barrier helps, everyone jumping at him because they thought he said that there were no dynamic shadows, when all he meant was that already knew they were in the game so he didn't find it as surprising and jaw-dropping as a lot of people seem to.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:41 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
Hey everyone is entitled to their opinions.

I have my pilots licences (though it has been a few years since I flew last) and in my opinion the head shake is probably under modeled if anything.
Opinion has nothing to do with facts,

ultralight weight under 1000lbs
Spitfire weight 6500lbs

In your mind/opinion they are the same/comparable ..... physics says different. Lets let even talk about structural rigidity....
Headshake is wrong in that vid .... not even close to realistic ...... defending it merely shows the ignorance of posters.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:22 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Cheap shot all you like...... I know I have brought about positive change in this sim.

But not as much as me...
Old 01-24-2010, 05:22 AM
Approved Member

Quote:

ultralight weight under 1000lbs
Spitfire weight 6500lbs
Protos, It has nothing to do with the mass of the aircraft. The head shake modeled simuates the movement of the pilots head reacting to the movements of the aircraft.

And except within the members of this forum there is a limits to the mass of a human head and in general it is several orders of magnitude smaller than the weight of the aircraft be it 1000lbs or 6500lbs.

Quote:

In your mind/opinion they are the same/comparable ..... physics says different. Lets let even talk about structural rigidity....
Yes Protos, I believe the same laws of physics should be used to simulate the movement of a pilots head in what ever aircraft they are flying. Please check with you high school physics teacher and get back to me on that one.

Quote:
Headshake is wrong in that vid .... not even close to realistic ......
That is an opinion of yours I disagree with it it is my right

Quote:
defending it merely shows the ignorance of posters.
I could not have put it better myself

Last edited by Skoshi Tiger; 01-24-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:27 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton45 View Post
But not as much as me...
maybe .... but I doubt it

@skoshi ...... if you think a WWII fighter shakes like an ultralight ....... no helping you and your understanding of flight. Time to brush up on your 'licenses' ......

Last edited by 13th Hsqn Protos; 01-24-2010 at 05:29 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:36 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
Proton, It has nothing to do with the mass of the aircraft.

Yes Proton, I believe the same laws of physics should be used to simulate the movement of a pilots head in w

He is "Protos"... I'm "Proton".
Old 01-24-2010, 06:03 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
maybe .... but I doubt it

@skoshi ...... if you think a WWII fighter shakes like an ultralight ....... no helping you and your understanding of flight. Time to brush up on your 'licenses' ......
Protos, I'm not sure what its like in your part of the world, but to fly an aircraft in Australia you need your Pilots Licence (Private in my case), Your Flight Radio Operator Licence plus your type endorsements and ratings. So the plural is correct. In the Queens English, it's spelt 'Licence'. 'License' has a different meaning. Look it up.

I do not need any help with my understanding of flight thank you. For my use it is sufficient. (Though I am always willing listen to those with superior understanding than myself)

I do suggest you do some brushing up on your physics and try to understand what they are trying to model. Your talk of vibration is not related to the effect of being simulated (as far as I can tell)

Do 1200HP V12 aero engine vibrate? Yes they do. The Merlin has a reputation of being a snarling beast of an engine. (no standing 50p coins of an ildling Merlin!) I'm sure it's german counterparts had similar characteristics
Old 01-24-2010, 06:04 AM
Approved Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton45 View Post
He is "Protos"... I'm "Proton".
My Bad, Sorry!
Old 01-24-2010, 07:04 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrunch View Post

I think that zaelu made some good points, don't think the language barrier helps, everyone jumping at him because they thought he said that there were no dynamic shadows, when all he meant was that already knew they were in the game so he didn't find it as surprising and jaw-dropping as a lot of people seem to.
Exactly, if I was to speak my words (even with my bad accent ) and not write them everyone would had understood from my "tone" what I was meaning.

For people that say that I don't know what the reflex visor work... well is quite possible, I don't work in that area but I knew what is doing as I saw it in many movies on the net how the cross-hair stays fixed while camera is moving and I also play DCS Black Shark that has a better representation of the reflex gun-sight in its HUD and has native 6DoF so you can see it working.

@Skoshi Tiger and others that find the movie from SoW representing good or insufficient head shake I want to tell you this.

An honest question and not an "implying" one: Did you ever flew in a plane having attached to your head a camera? Did you watch the video afterwards and have a feeling that you didn't actually "experience" that tremor and shaking?

What I am saying is the shaking in that movie is just for "cinematic" effect and is not depicting reality... you know... simulation. If the aircraft is shaking violently in bad weather we notice it... we even "see" it if we want to check it out but, when we work in those conditions our eyes, brain and mind filter it out. When you add it as a "special effect" you cannot filter it out and it becomes a hinder to the working and is not a good simulation to aggravate the bad environment.

Is like when you go to a 3D movie and you see objects in 3D but then the "cineast" wanted to make an emphasis on some plan of attention and he made one object in middle plan of the image clear and one object closer to the viewer in blur like out of focus. Now, as long as you go with story you will not notice it... you will even more dive into the action but, if you observe the out of focus object and look at it the spell is broken, your mind will try to focus it and then observe it can't do it and then will understand is just a trick.

The same is with this shaking effect, as long as you go with the cinematic effect is nice... but as soon as you try to actually make a dogfight in that shaking plane you will see it's unrealistic and hindering and you will see that in effect you are still, the gun-sight is still in respect to your movements but the cockpit is wobbling around like crazy... the spell is broken.

I sure hope this effect can be toggled or adjustable in final release so everyone would be happy... I will use it if I make a movie though .

I had filmed a bit with a helmet mounted camera and I noticed what I was saying above many times. The movie is shaking like crazy but I cannot remember all that movement. The movement comes from vibrations but also from attention shifting which cannot be (yet) represented in games, maybe some neat depth of field trick that shifts via input from your eyes will do it in 20 years from now. In the little movie bellow you will see that while I ride the bike the camera tremors like hell (I don't recall that tremor) and while flying the motodelta the movie is pretty still, just movements from attention shifting and little actual shaking of the wing that do appear like in the movies, you are still and the plane itself moves but, are not how they are perceived in real time.

Here is the little movie. I was trying to keep my head very still and also the motodelta is a great steady-cam platform but, it still moves differently that I perceived it. And the movie has the worst shaking parts cut out for obvious reasons .

Please note that I don't say I am some sort of an expert giving lessons just making some observations of my own... if they are right maybe they help. And sorry if my post is too long.

Last edited by zaelu; 01-24-2010 at 07:15 AM.