Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip.ed View Post
Baron, your whole post seemed as though it was aggressively aimed towards Jatta, and you did go off at a tangent from what he was suggesting. I wasn't sensitive to what you wrote; I just didn't agree with the comment about how you were happy that the terrain was there (effectively what you were suggesting) and that it was rather unnecessary to be critical of it (again, I'm sorry if there is a misunderstanding on this issue). I have already said why I disagreed with this view above, so I won't regurgitate it again. Just remember though, it is extremely easy to misunderstand people on the internet, and that may be the case here. I wasn't trying to be aggressive towards you in particular, so I'm sorry if it appeared to be this way.
NP.

Wasnt trying to be aggressive at all, anyone can think what ever they like, just as anyone can disagree and as far as how the terrain looks now, of course i wont scream bloody murder if they would change it. I just feel there are a few much more important things that needs fixing first.

How the terrain looks is an est-ethic argument and i think most would agree that it has a fairly "low" priority at the moment and bringing it up all the time wont make it happen any faster.

Lumping est-ethic issues with actual bugs and playability issues only makes everything look worse than it is for no reason or gain for anyone. (just promotes a lot of bickering)

Imo there's a time and place for everything. The terrain issue isn't going anywhere, it will still be there when the "real" bugs is fixed.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch_851 View Post
Hmmm.................., ok I wasn't going to post this, as I'm not a fan of photo scenery, but as I don't have a real aeroplane, or a licence to fly one, photo scenery is the next best thing to look at.

Yes I know the light conditions are hugely different and photo scenery has no ground detail or shadows, but as a comparison of Cliffs to 'reality'?

I actually like the landscape in Cliffs if the colours were a little closer, the trees looked English, and the roads had hedgerows. In fact I don't really understand why hedgerows couldn't be added to the roads/field - models/textures as a matter of course. But I know nothing of 3D programming. On the ground, and close to it, Cliffs looks superb. It's only when you climb it starts to look 'wrong'.

I also can't wait for a weather system to be implemented successfully, you'll see from the clip what I mean, (and before anyone jumps on my neck, I know REX are only 2D clouds).

Don't blink, the comparisons are very short. Anyway, enjoy.

I dont know how far of i am, but the REX scenery does not mach up my vision (in my head) of how England looks like from above. At least not the colours. Maby looks to "modern"? Almost like industrial farming areas (if there is such a thing) Lighting, time of day and weather probably have something to do with it to.

Anyways, and i dont know if i recall this correctly, but i think Oleg did mention that miles and miles of hedge rows would become very hardware intensive, dont ask me why. And "knowing" Oleg he was probably talking about actual hedges in 3D.

Last edited by Baron; 07-11-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Approved Member

What would help a little with the terrain is replacing those white paths that seem to be everywhere with dark green paths that would from above look like the hedgerows that are so badly missing.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:33 PM
BigPickle

Its the terrain i believe that causes the stutters, i think maybe if they look into how the textures are loaded maybe they can reduce stutters more.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPickle View Post
Its the terrain i believe that causes the stutters, i think maybe if they look into how the textures are loaded maybe they can reduce stutters more.
they have already done that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPickle View Post
No, it's all textures streaming: ground texture+objects textures.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
I dont know how far of i am, but the REX scenery does not mach up my vision (in my head) of how England looks like from above.
I should've also pointed out that REX is just the sky, water and clouds @ £45 or so. The landscape is VFR real scenery also @ £45 or so. It cost me the same (roughly) for two collector's editions of Cliffs of Dover as it did for these two 'add-ons'..

Oh, the Spit was about £20 aswell. I must be barmy or summat.

I reckon that given time we'll see improvements to the landscape generally, but when the weather engine gets going, the landscape colours will start to make more sense. Try to concentrate on the area of shadow under a cloud as it is at the moment and you'll get an idea. I didn't manage to catch this in the clip.