Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:52 AM
Approved Member

Quick Story: I'm trying out the Simulation tutorial, and the trainer says "speak of the devil, messerschmits (sp?)!" and I'm like, "uhh....ok...where"

So i cheat and use the map, and still can't find them. Then out of nowhere I get buzzed by one shooting at me. So i turn around and see a glimmer as the guy breaks left, but I quickly lose sight of him. Then I'm lost again for like 10 minutes trying to find these Messerchmits. Finally, I see one turning hard behind me and trying to get on my six. I work and work and work, and get right behind this sucker and start unloading on him, but to no effect. I bring him in closer still, but nothing. He loses me as I overshoot, but I manage to get on his tail a third time moments later, this time close enough that I can shoot the purple circle off his wing, but it registers no damage...wait, why is there a purple circle on his wing?...DAMNIT. Yup, I had spent 10 minutes trying to track and kill my only ally in my first sim fracas.

So on to the tips and help: How do you track/find a target in Sim mode? I'm using the aviator so the situational awareness stick is nice, but still I'm suffering. Thanks much
Old 09-04-2009, 05:06 AM
Approved Member

I did the same thing, engaged the allied Hurri twice, so after that I just followed a plane I found front of me and got real close until I could get a positive ID on it, no tips really, learn to identify the planes and use the zoom.

Unfortunately the "realism" aspect falls short in the console version, it doesn't work really well is it would in a PC version (where you sit closer to the monitor and have better resolution anyway, so way easier to identify a plane, just by looking at it).
Old 09-04-2009, 05:11 AM
Approved Member

I learned really quick that if you pull the rudder into a turn, while trying to make a slightly tight turn, you go into a stall! WTF I would think it would sorta counter it since I was going at a fairly good speed to make a tight turn. (I didn't pull the stick into my chest or something like that.)

But also, I've come to realize on the Battle of Britain missions, who is friend or foe by how dark they are against the clouds. If I see them well enough, then its probably a Hurricane or Spitfire. If I lose it once or twice against the clouds, then it's a 109 Seems to work for me as my little theory/experiment only failed me only twice.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:31 AM
Approved Member

thanks for the tips, glad I'm not the only one. This is the first game that I've played where an HDTV is essential. Even on my new 42'' plasma, I have problems even seeing those dark spots against the clouds. I wouldn't even try simulation on my old 21 inch CRT.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundermuffin View Post

EDIT: I'm not liking how I worded all of this; I come off as pompous, and I wasn't trying to be that way, so please don't get upset .
Old 09-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Approved Member

I just watch how the plane in front of me is flying to figure out if its a friend or foe. Only enemies will attempt a barrel roll or dive to get away from you, allies will just do a wide turn or something of the similar depending if they are in formation or chasing someone.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

Default Does difficulty matter in single missions?

Just a quick question. Does the difficulty (Arcade, Realistic, Sim) matter in single missions for unlocking planes and weapons?
Old 09-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Approved Member

I don't think it does. I've done several missions in all three, and haven't unlocked anything new. Try the Single Missions. They'll give you some planes to unlock
Old 09-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet Ace View Post
I don't think it does. I've done several missions in all three, and haven't unlocked anything new. Try the Single Missions. They'll give you some planes to unlock
Oh oke, thanks.

I have beaten all the single missions, one half on realistic and the other half on arcade. I have also beaten the campaign on realistic. So i guess i should have all planes. But i still have not unlocked the b-17. Is there some kind of secret behind unlocking it?
Old 09-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Approved Member

ive mentioned this in another thread, but this probably more appropriate place.
my little tip for you to try.
For those with the standard handset... go options and change to "wireless controller (aviator layout)"
now, you wont find all the functionality that you have with the other layout, but for me, as a mediocre pilot, i could go on training, set opponents to veteran, half a dozen of them in same aircraft (was on realistic)....and i could get em all without getting hit...so far as i noticed. i dont think i could do that with the standard layout.
i'll leave it to you to suss out the controls

Last edited by nudger1964; 09-06-2009 at 04:23 PM.