Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:56 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanator21 View Post
It's a muffled, but still loud, roar with a sort of whooshing sound. So, basically, the sounds aren't far off. Maybe they should be just a little higher-pitch with more piston noise given the engine position.

If you compare to other flight sims, such as the highly praised A2A Spit, the sounds are also similar. (11:00)

Now, the exterior sounds are definitely underwhelming, but I don't think they're final.
That A2A Spit is much more realistic. The Hurricane vid I commented on earlier isn't even in the same ballpark as that A2A Spit. There's even a real life in cockpit clip in there showing how it sounds when he runs up the engine/prop so that you can compare.

Bearcat, have a listen. If you haven't tried RoF yet I can understand you but RoF has loads better engine sounds than what I've seen from released CoD vids. Thursday man, thursday.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:52 AM
Approved Member

We are starting to see much smoother videos now,so I'm starting to feel a lot happier about things.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:02 AM
Approved Member

Actually the thing I'm disappointed with from these videos is the radio chatter. I was looking forward to an improvement on the IL2 one but this one is worse.

It sounds like a recording studio, like someone in a room and it appears to only use one voice.

I don't know if it's because I speak German but the German one just doesn't sound convincing; it sounds too modern. And the lack of a regional accent makes it sound too clinical.

You know how people sound funny in old movies, and nobody really talks like that anymore, well it's the same with this.

The IL2 ones were better I'd rather have those ones back than this one.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:29 AM
Approved Member

Old 03-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Approved Member

I'm starting to get excited! Thursday! Thursday! lol
Old 03-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Approved Member

Old 03-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.JaVA_Sharp View Post
Isn't there an odd ballistic/damages modelization there ?.. (At 6:30) Maybe it's just that the bullets are dispersed enough, but if not, it looks like the damages aren't perfectly fitting what the tracers show...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Odd ballisticdamages modelization.jpg (235.7 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by IbnSolmyr; 03-28-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimba View Post
The sound we hear in COD is "supposed" the replicate what a pilot would hear inside a cockpit...A pilot wears a tight helmet with headphones on his hears...
Very different perception than a mic sitting in a cockpit...
I am a sound engineer since 1984 and have done a lot of "foley" recording for movies in the past...To recreate the sound a pilot would actually hear, you have to take those facts in consideration : The helmet would have the same effect as putting your hands over your ears ...So listen to your exemples with high volume on your speakers and put your hands on your ears...That would give you a rough idea...

Salute !
Right. When you sit in a Duster Demon or Dart with a 340 or 360 in it you don't hear what you hear outside the car. Standing behind it at the exhaust tips is a whole different thing. The same goes for aeroplanes...example. Just making a point..Mopar or no car. Sorry had to.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Approved Member

There's one key difference though, Richie, a car don't have unmuffled exhaust headers/stacks sticking out of the hood in front of you. Show me a Hurricane, Spitfire or 109 that have muffled exhaust 2m below and behind your cockpit and you might actually have a point. Throw in some carpets, upholstered seats, headliner, doorpanels and sound insulation in the cockpit while you're at it.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Approved Member

Ah I think you have me on the Merlins but maybe not the DB because the stacks are practically at your toes. Getting back to the Dart, he has no tail pipes just little turn downs at the mufflers at the differential but you're right they aren't four feet in front of his face. I've got an excellent in cockpit DB 605 recording. There must be a Merlin one around.

Last edited by Richie; 03-28-2011 at 08:28 PM.